Eating to Drop Morning Glucose

Nexus6

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I wake up, and BG sits all morning around the 6.5 level. Does not want to drop. I have been reading that sometimes your body needs something to get it to drop out of "morning" mode - ie. food. Sorry, not sure how to describe this in more scientific terms.

Has anyone an understanding of this process and suggestions on what to try to eat to accomplish this drop? I am so carb sensitive that even the smallest amount of carbs really spikes things. Later in the day far less carb sensitive but try to get over that hump.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My glucose would go on rising if I did not eat first thing. I would have a meal with about 10gm of carbs, but protein and fat from eggs cheese or meat or fish.
These days my reserves seem to have reduced and I don't need to eat at all until later in the day.

Reactions: Lainie71 and jjraak

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
can't really get the hang of this right now
Don't worry, There's a lot to learn and it takes time.
It would really help all of us help you if you updated your profile to say which type of diabetes you have. They are very different and have different approaches, medications etc.
We wouldn't want to to mislead you and add to any confusion.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wake up, and BG sits all morning around the 6.5 level. Does not want to drop. I have been reading that sometimes your body needs something to get it to drop out of "morning" mode - ie. food. Sorry, not sure how to describe this in more scientific terms.

Has anyone an understanding of this process and suggestions on what to try to eat to accomplish this drop? I am so carb sensitive that even the smallest amount of carbs really spikes things. Later in the day far less carb sensitive but try to get over that hump.
Yes, it happens. It's caused by your liver helpfully dumping stored (not dietary) glucose into your bloodstream to get you going in the morning. I have let mine go to see how long it might rise for. Started at 6am, got bored by 2pm with the BG still inching up. Not necessarily a bad thing if you want (as I do sometimes) to deplete your liver stores while heading for ketosis.

Eating anything seems to stop it - this includes a large coffee with double cream as far as my liver's concerned, but a single cheese and ham rollito works just as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Lainie71

LouisLane

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Do you check your levels before starting to eat and then 2 hours after that? It can give a lot of information about how you are coping with food and if the choices were good ones.
don't no how to check my bgl doctor never gave me testing equipment but I know when it's high..all the time day or night my lips are tingling and are dark sometimes purple..legs so painful..0 immunity keep getting ill mood low 0 energy so angry when people talk about lifestyle taking herbal teas near starving myself I mean what am I stupid❓

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
don't no how to check my bgl doctor never gave me testing equipment but I know when it's high..all the time day or night my lips are tingling and are dark sometimes purple..legs so painful..0 immunity keep getting ill mood low 0 energy so angry when people talk about lifestyle taking herbal teas near starving myself I mean what am I stupid❓
I'm afraid that a doctor is unlikely to supply a tester - might even try to discourage testing, even though it can be so useful.
The way of eating which will help a straightforward type 2 is rather contrary to modern advice in what is healthy, but it seems to work for quite a few people with type 2 diabetes. It is mostly about what to eat - herbal teas help as they are often drunk without milk, which can add a lot of sugar. Protein with the fat naturally associated with it is good, it is nutritious and provides energy, and there is no need to go hungry. It is not something which can be lived with long term. Hunger is designed to push us to do something to resolve it.
Eating a diet which provides all the nutrition required can seem to be comprised of quite a small amount of food. These days I only eat once a day maybe half the week,

Reactions: oldgreymare

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why do you think we mean just drinking herbal teas and starving? Have a read of this. its very much not about either https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html
and this might give you some pointers where many of us are coming from https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ish-i’d-been-told-at-type-2-diagnosis.173817/