Emergency Hospital Dash

Type-2-Havent-A-Clue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good Evening Folks,

Just returned from a rather unsettling evening in my local A&E after feinting this afternoon...

All bloods done and other than my diabetic related numbers everything else was fine. Had to explain to a seemingly unflinching Consultant that I’m in a dietary overhaul and it’s all been logged with my GP.

Then my finger prick was done.... 2.6

Given a couple of glucose tabs and checked again one hour later... 5.2

Never have I experienced something so weird.. went lightheaded then the next thing I know I’m talking to the stranger trying to attack me with heart monitor sticky pad things (paramedic!)

I won’t lie I’ve just had a cup of tea and a Mars bar!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Evening Folks,

Just returned from a rather unsettling evening in my local A&E after feinting this afternoon...

All bloods done and other than my diabetic related numbers everything else was fine. Had to explain to a seemingly unflinching Consultant that I’m in a dietary overhaul and it’s all been logged with my GP.

Never have I experienced something so weird.. went lightheaded then the next thing I know I’m talking to the stranger trying to attack me with heart monitor sticky pad things (paramedic!)

What a to-do. Are you OK now? I see you are on Gliclazide, so with your new low carb diet it will be the Glic that caused it. I suggest strongly that you sort out a reduced dose at the very least, if not to come off it completely, but you must see the GP about this. The glic is causing your pancreas to produce a load of extra insulin that you don't need any more, hence the hypo.

Reactions: Brunneria

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oops. Are you still on gliclazide despite eating very low carb?

Type-2-Havent-A-Clue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a to-do. Are you OK now? I see you are on Gliclazide, so with your new low carb diet it will be the Glic that caused it. I suggest strongly that you sort out a reduced dose at the very least, if not to come off it completely, but you must see the GP about this. The glic is causing your pancreas to produce a load of extra insulin that you don't need any more, hence the hypo.

I’m fine now. Even the mars bar hasn’t spiked me! Bit sore from where I fell but other than that I’m great!

Reactions: Antje77

Type-2-Havent-A-Clue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And if they suggest eating more carbs to make sure the meds are effective please tell them where to go...

I fully intend to. I’m lucky I’ve a fairly understanding doctor who listens rather than just spews out one-sided medical jargon for the reason to keep taking stuff ... (my GP at diagnosis was the master of this trait!) so I’m hopeful of getting it reduced at the very least and review it again in 3 months?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
That's some scary stuff.... and I echo what has already been said about Gliclazide.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Evening Folks,

Still on Glic while eating the low carb meals you've been sharing? Oh man... Yeah, that would make you crash & burn. (My lowest on that stuff was 3.3). Don't combine keto-esque eating with glic, or it could happen again. (And don't overcompensate with mars bars, haha. Though you certainly deserved to enjoy one!)

Reactions: SimonCrox

Type-2-Havent-A-Clue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still on Glic while eating the low carb meals you've been sharing? Oh man... Yeah, that would make you crash & burn. (My lowest on that stuff was 3.3). Don't combine keto-esque eating with glic, or it could happen again. (And don't overcompensate with mars bars, haha. Though you certainly deserved to enjoy one!)

Ahh here she is! My new private doctor!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You choose what you put in your month including what drugs you take, your GP can't make you take Gliclazide. Personally I think the hospital is quity of criminal negligence by not telling you to stop the Gliclazide, however as we are not doctors we can't tell you to put them in the bin.

Reactions: HSSS

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And this is the perfect example of why we have to check what meds someone is on before giving dietary advice.

Reactions: SimonCrox

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
And this is the perfect example of why we have to check what meds someone is on before giving dietary advice.

As I understand it correctly, his GP know he was doing a low carb diet and was monitoring the reduction in his BG. This is the first person I recall on this forum getting a bad hypro from Gliclazide due to lowcarb.

Maybe if his GP was not being so helpful he would have stopped Gliclazide himself as his BG reduced based on all the "hints" we drop about it. It is one of the reasons why I think people should be aiming at closer to 10 then 6 when charging diets (for a week or two) if taking Gliclazide or inslin.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The problem is not everybody looks back at a million old threads especially newcomers or those rarely dipping in & out. They see one posted and it's easy to see type 2 and go straight into dietary advice. Most regulars on here do ask about medication people are on but not always. I agree with @lucylocket61 100%, it's not a criticism of the helpful people on here, it's simply a timely reminder. I say the same when people not yet diagnosed one way or the other are given dietary advice, it can be dangerous which is why the Mods quite often remind people of the fact we are not Doctors.