Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stupid people.

"Intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people are not offended."

Author unkown
Ive just spent 90 minutes trying to find an answer and failed.

Therfore, can anyone find a link to the above title please?

I know taking Empaglifozen and a keto fuet can tip you into ketoacidocis but I can't find anything on the forum.

Also, which blood glucose / ketone meter is considered best?

Thank you in advance.

Alan

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a link to the NHS page about possible side effects of empagliflozin (note the different spelling may have hindered your search )

My very personal opinion is that if someone taking any of the "flozins" reduces their carb intake drastically and suddenly then there is a risk of dka.
Any reduction in carb intake should be done gradually and with the consent of your gp so dosages can be adjusted accordingly .
I say this is my personal opinion because I'm sure I've read that several times on here but can't link you to proof.

I hope your search brings you more info. Perhaps try flozin instead of empagliflozin?

And tagging the ever useful @Rachox for info on meters

Reactions: BigAlan and Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @BigAlan i have pre prepared info on the popular glucose meters used by forum members however it doesn’t include a meter that measures both glucose and ketones. Before switching to the Libre I used the Caresens Dual meter which measured both. Separate strips were needed for each test. Here’s a link:
It is a more expensive meter to run but good to be able to do both tests on one machine. I can post links to the more economical meters but I don’t know about an only ketone meter.

BigAlan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stupid people.

Author unkown
Thank you Rachel. I am going to do some research on ketone only meters as I all ready gave a glucose meter. My initial thoughts were that you could get both readings from one test strip but this is not possible, apparently.

I'll make a new topic regarding my keto journey but its been quite hard today.lol.

BigAlan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stupid people.

Author unkown

BigAlan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stupid people.

Author unkown
This is a link to the NHS page about possible side effects of empagliflozin (note the different spelling may have hindered your search )

My very personal opinion is that if someone taking any of the "flozins" reduces their carb intake drastically and suddenly then there is a risk of dka.
Any reduction in carb intake should be done gradually and with the consent of your gp so dosages can be adjusted accordingly .
I say this is my personal opinion because I'm sure I've read that several times on here but can't link you to proof.

I hope your search brings you more info. Perhaps try flozin instead of empagliflozin?

And tagging the ever useful @Rachox for info on meters
Thank you MrsA2.

After today, I agree with your sentiment. Lol.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I use GlucoRx HCT, seems great for bg and ketones, my gp won’t let me have them on script so I buy them, the strips are £30 for 10 from their website, I do however buy out of date keytone strips from eBay for £11 for 10 I think the last ones were, the weird thing is, they aren’t out of date *shrug*

Pee strips are awful, I think smelling your pee is more accurate

Asking your doctor is great if your doctor isn’t living in the 18th century., best of luck.

BigAlan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stupid people.

Author unkown
The Dr's are happy to waste a script on a bottle of pee sticks (over counter at £4.20) but don't offer any help with ketones or glucose strips.

However, tell the oharmasust or supplier you are diabetic and you get them vat free.

Danmiluk

The Dr's are happy to waste a script on a bottle of pee sticks (over counter at £4.20) but don't offer any help with ketones or glucose strips.

However, tell the oharmasust or supplier you are diabetic and you get them vat free.
I live in Scotland and get prescriptions free.
This might work if you take diabetic medication. Worth a go I think.
Screenshot_20240101_122847_Samsung%20Internet.jpg

Reactions: BigAlan

IncogKeto

I am going to do some research on ketone only meters as I all ready gave a glucose meter.
Off the top of my head I can't think of any meters that just do ketones, and if you do manage to find one then it's highly unlikely to be any cheaper than the GlucoRx HCT that Fenn has already recommended. The cost is more in the strips than the meter itself and that model is probably the most appropriate for your needs.

BigAlan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stupid people.

Author unkown
Off the top of my head I can't think of any meters that just do ketones, and if you do manage to find one then it's highly unlikely to be any cheaper than the GlucoRx HCT that Fenn has already recommended. The cost is more in the strips than the meter itself and that model is probably the most appropriate for your needs.
Thank you. I think I've missed fens comment of which I apologise.
Edit. I didn't miss Fen's comment but will question my nurse next week.

BigAlan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stupid people.

Author unkown
Good day folks.

A quick update and seeker of advice.

I APPRECIATE I AM NOT ASKING FOR MEDICAL ADVICE WITH THESE QUESTIONS.

As reading this previous posts I went onto a keto diet with 20g carb/ day whilst on Emplafiglozin.

Ketones on urine dip sticks were around 4-6. I had what I believe was a hypo on Wednesday but back to normal within an hour BG wise.
Yesterday ketones were 4, carb intake 35g.
Today on waking ketones are 8 and went there very fast, I.e. within 5 seconds.

I can't speak to my diabetic nurse until next Wednesday. I plan to go to 50g carb today, then more tomorrow until it sort of balances out.
I can't find any research that lists problems of being with my level of ketones can cause.

So if this high ketones continue over weekend should I ring 111 for advice?

Also lost 7.2lb in weight, 3% body fat and my BG is much more level at around 6.2 - 6.5 via finger prick since Monday, 1st of Jan before meds or after meals.

Any thoughts, pointers ?

Do take care.

Alan.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
If you actually go into diabetic ketoacidosis it needs immediate treatment at A&E. I'd be tempted to ring them now for advice, just to be on the safe side. But I'm T1 and therefore much more aware of DKA as a possibility. Do you have any DKA symptoms?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good day folks.

A quick update and seeker of advice.

I APPRECIATE I AM NOT ASKING FOR MEDICAL ADVICE WITH THESE QUESTIONS.

As reading this previous posts I went onto a keto diet with 20g carb/ day whilst on Emplafiglozin.

Ketones on urine dip sticks were around 4-6. I had what I believe was a hypo on Wednesday but back to normal within an hour BG wise.
Yesterday ketones were 4, carb intake 35g.
Today on waking ketones are 8 and went there very fast, I.e. within 5 seconds.

I can't speak to my diabetic nurse until next Wednesday. I plan to go to 50g carb today, then more tomorrow until it sort of balances out.
I can't find any research that lists problems of being with my level of ketones can cause.

Also lost 7.2lb in weight, 3% body fat and my BG is much more level at around 6.2 - 6.5 via finger prick since Monday, 1st of Jan before meds or after meals.

Any thoughts, pointers ?

Do take care.

Alan.
I’m surprised you didn’t find anything about sglt2 and euglycemic dka when you searched the forums. It’s been discussed a fair bit and often by me. These flozin medications have a real, even if small, risk of causing dka without the associated rise in blood glucose that typically warns of it.

ketones of 8 are definitely too high for ketosis. Please eat a few carbs asap and keep testing those ketones.

Unless they fall pretty urgently then get some advice. Be aware that the words diabetic and ketones will spark concern and few drs have any real knowledge of nutritional ketosis and keto diets.

Attachments

• IMG_0518.jpeg
    IMG_0518.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 42

BigAlan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stupid people.

Author unkown
I’m surprised you didn’t find anything about sglt2 and euglycemic dka when you searched the forums. It’s been discussed a fair bit and often by me. These flozin medications have a real, even if small, risk of causing dka without the associated rise in blood glucose that typically warns of it.

ketones of 8 are definitely too high for ketosis. Please eat a few carbs asap and keep testing those ketones.

Unless they fall pretty urgently then get some advice. Be aware that the words diabetic and ketones will spark concern and few drs have any real knowledge of nutritional ketosis and keto diets.
Sorry, HSSS, my research was not on the forums. I'll go check now.
Thank you.Alan

BigAlan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stupid people.

Author unkown
If you actually go into diabetic ketoacidosis it needs immediate treatment at A&E. I'd be tempted to ring them now for advice, just to be on the safe side. But I'm T1 and therefore much more aware of DKA as a possibility. Do you have any DKA symptoms?

No, non of those symptoms. I truly feel absolutly spiffing!, lol.

I have never really done any testing over the years, I used to just get my Habc1 thing every 6 months and if needed another tablet from the Dr's. Yes, I know its irresponsible etc but it's what it was.
Since October 23 I have been so much more attuned to my condition.

Thank you for you advice.

BigAlan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stupid people.

Author unkown
I have spoken to my diabetic nurse and she has said everything you good people on here have said. Thank you so much.

I am to stop the Empaglifozen from tomorrow, drink more water to flush the ketones out and eat more carb until this settles down.

You good people really are special.

Thank you so much.

Alan.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have spoken to my diabetic nurse and she has said everything you good people on here have said. Thank you so much.

I am to stop the Empaglifozen from tomorrow, drink more water to flush the ketones out and eat more carb until this settles down.

You good people really are special.

Thank you so much.

Alan.
Glad you managed to speak with her and are taking action. Lots of fluids and remember to eat electrolytes rich stuff if you’re drinking more or they might dip (same when you restart keto). Low electrolytes make you feel like pants but is easily solved. Once the ketones are back to normal and the empagliflozin is out of your system you’ll be good to go again. And this time you know you can do it and it works.

BigAlan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stupid people.

Author unkown
Glad you managed to speak with her and are taking action. Lots of fluids and remember to eat electrolytes rich stuff if you’re drinking more or they might dip (same when you restart keto). Low electrolytes make you feel like pants but is easily solved. Once the ketones are back to normal and the empagliflozin is out of your system you’ll be good to go again. And this time you know you can do it and it works.
Also don't be a daft a*se and think I know what I'm doing regardless...

• Funny
Reactions: Antje77 and HSSS