Energy drink with no carbs

moonstone

Dear all,

My friend has spent several months developing an energy drink with no carbs and no aspartame, filled with vitamins and amino acids to help concentration. It's just launched and since we were working together while he was developing this in his spare time, I drank a few of the testers and had one of the final samples a couple of weeks ago. I'm type 1, diagnosed last March, last hba1c 7.6%, and I'm addicted to cafe lattes - I drink several a day at work - but they're full of carbs as we know. When I had the energy drinks I didn't crave my coffees all day and of course, having no carbs, they had absolutely no effect on my blood sugars. They're only tiny - 58mls - so it cuts out what he calls the "pee factor" too! This is the website http://www.ubershot.co.uk and there's loads of info there about the vitamins etc and how to order it if you like the sound of it. It tastes really nice too (the first few samples were gruesome - he's put a lot of work into the taste!).

I have post-viral fatigue syndrome as well as being T1 (brilliant) so anything I can lay my hands on to help my energy levels is a bonus. I'm not promoting this and I've got nothing to do with his business at all outside drinking a few samples and wishing him well in his enterprise, but I'm more than happy to let other diabetics know there's now a carb-free, aspartame-free alternative to other energy drinks which are loaded with carbs and pee-inducing liquids!! The less time I can spend in the loo, the better :roll:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi moonstone.

Just a question. It mentions no sugar on the nutrition information.

Where is the information that says it has NO carbs ?

moonstone

Ooh isn't it there????? I'll tell him tomorrow!! Thanks! Maybe I'm imagining things and it has a negligible amount in it. I was hearing about it every day at work for months but he hasn't been with us for the last few months, while he focused on this, so I've been out of the loop. It had absolutely no effect on my sugars whenever I drank it I assure you - so if there's anything in it at all, it must be almost non-existent. He's a total health nut and wanted this to be as healthy and natural as humanly possible.

I'll find tomorrow and keep you posted - apologies in advance if I've made a mistake :shock:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
This is one of the listed ingredients....Glucouronolactone.
Glucuronolactone is a carbohydrate. There is 630mg in a 58ml bottle.

It is naturally occurring in the human body where it is involved in detoxification processes, supporting the body in eliminating waste substances from the body.
Glucuronolactone is also present in different foodstuffs such as grain or red wine.
The above information is from the Red Bull website which is also NOT recommended for Diabetics.

As for the natural ingredients, you are joking I presume ?
The stuff might be good if you are a bodybuilder but I haven't seen anything which would convince me that it was good for a diabetic ?

There is also 210mg of Caffeine in the 58 ml bottle. In a 207 ml cup/mug of percolated coffee there is 80 to 135 mg of Caffeine. Too much Caffeine is not recommended for any Diabetic.

Until I see something which contradicts what I have posted here, I wouldn't touch it with the proverbial, bargepole !!!

moonstone

Ooh no I believe my lattes from "well-known establishments" have got a lot more caffeine in them than a percolated coffee - I drink several a day due to post-viral fatigue syndrome - I have to keep going somehow because I have to support myself. From diabeticseatout.com I've discovered each one's got around 30g of carbs, and being half Italian I sometimes ask for an extra espresso shot - and when I drank this I didn't also want coffee, I didn't even think about it, so it cut my caffeine intake for the whole day right down to the amount in the bottle plus whatever was in my instant coffee when I got up.

The ingredients are as natural as he could possibly get them while achieving the desired results in energy and concentration. Remember I don't represent the company, I've got nothing to do with it but I've tried it and it worked like a charm for me, and I have the benefit of a blood sugar monitor. If you have indepth questions, I'm not the right person to ask. There's contact information on the website, and anyone is welcome to ask any questions! OK the answer via text message reads "Let me confirm tomorrow, but bottle back says 0 carbs". So I hadn't gone mad, phew! Cugila why not email them? He'll be thrilled to have such indepth interest and he'll be in his office tomorrow with all his info :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi moonstone.

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate you are only passing on what you know, however that Gluco..stuff IS a carbohydrate, check out the Red Bull website as they also use it.

I might e-mail just out of interest but as stated, not my cup of tea, sorry, coffee. Much too high in Caffeine etc. We have had a lot of so called Diabetic friendly 'energy' drinks on here, most turn out to not be what they are portrayed ?

Anybody else want's to give it a whirl let us know how you get on ?

moonstone

Hi I've PMd you with his name, but it's still sitting in my outbox... dunno why!! I asked him a few times over the months if it will be safe for us and he really knew his onions, but yes they're his onions, so to speak, and I can't remember it all!! It's not been designed or marketed for diabetics - but he's made sure it's diabetes-friendly.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi moonstone.

It was delivered but you deleted it before I could read it. No worries. Try sending it again please.

Diabetic friendly....can mean many things unfortunately.

moonstone

OK I've sent another one, and I'll leave it this time no matter how long it takes! I got a massively important lawyer's letter on Friday - 8 days after it had been sent, by the postmark. Maybe I've been voodooed.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi Moonstone.

Got it thank you. Sent reply as well. Cheers. :D

lionrampant

lol, he might also want to do a better offer than a £23.99 12 pack, since people will want to try it out before committing to that large a purchase.

moonstone

I know, it seems expensive! I spend up to £12 a day on coffee (trying, trying, trying not to) so if I have one of these instead it still makes financial sense to me! But, I'm operating on a whole other level of no-energy than most people so I'm not a good example :eek: no-one should really drink that much coffee......

I do believe in good time it'll be available in convenience stores and shops, plus some fitness clubs. That's what he said last week. You should be able to buy them individually then and it's under £2 each, and you only drink one. They spent ages sourcing a resealable non-plastic bottle so that you can drink it in 2 goes if you want.

Jimmac

Hi all
This is a general message to do with the consumption of aspartame, my only reccommendation is DON'T use it - It contains 10% Methanol. I am a founder member of the UK Aspartame Awareness Campaign 2008 and have extensivly researched the subject, It is a scientific fact that Methaol in the body Metabolises into Formaldehyde and then Formic Acid - both very dangeruos toxins. You don't need to consume anything containing aspartame. 4 UK supermarket groups have banned aspartame in their own label products ranges, they are ASDa / Sainsbuys / M&S and Iceland - check out their ingriedents labels. Remember only aspartame contains METHANOL
Cheers
Jimmac.

moonstone

I quite agree, and so do the makers of this drink, who would have used stevia to sweeten it with, if it were legal to do so. If you go to the 'why' page and go to 'other' at the bottom, click 'read more' - it definitely doesn't contain aspartame. We've discussed the evils of aspartame together many times since my diagnosis as I find it hard to avoid it now, whereas I wouldn't have touched it with a bargepole before. If you search my posts you'll read something I said about aspartame many months ago. I'd never even heard of stevia until the friend who created this drink told me about it - he's done lots of research into this area.

Cugila has kindly offered to have my friend join the site and PM him with more detailed information on this drink.

mumnpops

hello
after drinking diet coke for nearlly all my life, circumstances changed that and i stopped drinking it in june this year.

i have since found asda brand of dandelion & burdock which is very nice with 0.5 carbs and only a trace of sugar, with NO ASPARTAME. which is good.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
mumnpops said:
hello
after drinking diet coke for nearlly all my life, circumstances changed that and i stopped drinking it in june this year.

i have since found asda brand of dandelion & burdock which is very nice with 0.5 carbs and only a trace of sugar, with NO ASPARTAME. which is good.

Hi

I think you need to look at this link ?
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Shopping ... oduct=9275

Ingredients
Carbonated Water, Colour (Sulphite Ammonia Caramel), Citric Acid, Flavourings (Including Extracts of Dandelion and Burdock), Sweeteners (Aspartame, Acesulfame K), Preservative (Sodium Benzoate), Contains a Source of Phenylalanine.

It DOES contain Aspartame, if you wanted to avoid that. :(