everyday problems with type 1 or type 2 diabetes

micheal.m

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hello, I've been a type 1 diabetic for about 6 years now and through out those years i have come across certain situations that i found to be a bit annoying that you wouldn't have thought would be a problem when you became diagnosed such as thinking about different types of jobs that would effect your blood sugar levels and things like that because of labour work or long distance travelling and also things you enjoy in your free time such as hobbies like going on bike rides or hiking and things like that but there are also small everyday things that could be problematic, i basically want to know what kind of problems people have faced or not yet faced but think about in the future, no mater how small or or large the activity may be.

so what does the average everyday diabetic have problems with ?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I don't find any of diabetes life a problem, mainly I suspect due to being diagnosed at such a young age so basically I know no different :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I find the inability to exercise how and when I want very annoying. It's too time / mind consuming to keep testing for highs and lows. It does raise me and I don't want to keep testing and taking insulin or eating to bring me back up so I just gave up on it. I do take strolls rather than brisk walks. I'm pretty anal about keeping bs flat and I don't like it bopping around and exercise does that.
I also tend to bring my own food everywhere as I know what's in it and what it will do to bs.

I've been type 1 for two years and for the most part I've accepted it and just consider it my new life however it certainly can be annoying ....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
i basically want to know what kind of problems people have faced or not yet faced but think about in the future,

Not yet faced would be old age and trying to manage my type 1 diabetes.

S

Shar67

Drive at 5. Finishing work desperate to get home BG 4.8, 20 minutes hanging about hoping 3 jelly babies are going to do it.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
hello, I've been a type 1 diabetic for about 6 years now and through out those years i have come across certain situations that i found to be a bit annoying that you wouldn't have thought would be a problem when you became diagnosed such as thinking about different types of jobs that would effect your blood sugar levels and things like that because of labour work or long distance travelling and also things you enjoy in your free time such as hobbies like going on bike rides or hiking and things like that but there are also small everyday things that could be problematic, i basically want to know what kind of problems people have faced or not yet faced but think about in the future, no mater how small or or large the activity may be.

so what does the average everyday diabetic have problems with ?

None as yet, but I do think about the generally progressive nature of the disease, irrespective of early successes and the quite dramatic complications that can arise.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It has to be driving for me...when you have 15mins before the shop closes but BG is 4.1...grrrrr!!!!

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating out for me. Type 2 diet only. Also housework really pushes my levels up so needs careful planning, best avoided!!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Drive at 5. Finishing work desperate to get home BG 4.8, 20 minutes hanging about hoping 3 jelly babies are going to do it.
Just to be clear here, none of the DVLA guidance says "five to drive".

It says "Do not drive if you feel hypoglycaemic or if your blood glucose is less than 4.0 mmol/l.".

If less than five (and assumed more than four) it states "Carry your glucose meter and blood glucose strips with you. Check blood glucose before driving (even on short journeys) and test regularly (every 2 hours) on long journeys. If blood glucose is 5.0mmol/l or less, take a [carby] snack before driving."

So if you finish work and are desperate to get home, with a BG of 4.8, I'm not sure why yo'd be hanging about for 20 mins, especially after eating 3 jelly babies (15g of carbs).

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Nothing specific but one thing that irritates me is everyday you have to start again. When you have one good day and then try to replicate the same conditions the following day, BS are rarely is the same. By replicate I mean eating the same meals, same dosages and same exercise regime.

Reactions: 4 people
S

Shar67

Just to be clear here, none of the DVLA guidance says "five to drive".

It says "Do not drive if you feel hypoglycaemic or if your blood glucose is less than 4.0 mmol/l.".

If less than five (and assumed more than four) it states "Carry your glucose meter and blood glucose strips with you. Check blood glucose before driving (even on short journeys) and test regularly (every 2 hours) on long journeys. If blood glucose is 5.0mmol/l or less, take a [carby] snack before driving."

So if you finish work and are desperate to get home, with a BG of 4.8, I'm not sure why yo'd be hanging about for 20 mins, especially after eating 3 jelly babies (15g of carbs).

Yes I know it's below 4 and 4.8 isn't to bad but I personally don't drive under 5 as a type3c my BG can drop like a stone especially after work, and I usually eat 6 jelly babies when under 4 that will push me to 4.8ish, please remember we are not all the same, 3cs cannot LCHF as having no panc function at all means our digestion is not the same as a normal diabetic.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
please remember we are not all the same
Hi Shar, I wanted to make it clear that "five to drive" is not the position of the DVLA. Given the variance in Type 3c, electing to take that stance because your diabetes has certain characteristics is absolutely the correct thing to do.

Reactions: 4 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Eating out for me. Type 2 diet only. Also housework really pushes my levels up so needs careful planning, best avoided!!
Definitely to both. I prefer not to eat out. I eat such small meals it doesn't pay either. I eat very high quality of food so i never want to take the remainder home.

Oh, and vacuuming? Seriously stupid