Excerice and night time hypos

flump36

I am new to this board, not new to diabetes though I have been type for 11 years. I excercise 3 times, high intensity and it seems that there is a link to nightime hpos with my excercise, even though I have them on nights I dont excercise aswell. I have seen my nurse and the 1st thing we are trying is moving lantus injection from thigh to bum, lantus at 5.45pm excercise at 6.30pm but this isnt working. Am getting frustrated, tired and wish I could rectify the problem but it is trial and error.
Anyone have any similar problems or suggestions......

just to complicate things I had pasta for tea last night, and my levels we 16 before bed, just had 4 units of nova rapid before bed, woke up at 2pm thirsty, level was 18, had 4 units again woke up at 4am to reading of 3.....hypo! Confused.com, although been 11 years I still don't understand...

Fallenstar

Hi Flump
I exercise a lot and do sometimes, though not for a while :D suffer with night time Hypo's . I had to change my Lantus to Mornings which did help, you could speak to your DSN about this.
Have you been on the DAFNE course it is invaluable ,so go if you can get on one.
They will work out your correct correction dose, mine is one unit of Bolus brings me down by 3 mmols..I used to slightly over correct. This along with the after burn could send me low in the night.
It looks like you over corrected, it all depends on what you ate also ,if you ate a lot of carbs with fat, the fat will spike you later on.
I found that my Basal was the one that needed the biggest adjustment, it had to be lowered a lot, my Bolus was good. The amount of exercise I do requires little Basal which is why I was going low in the night ,even having it in the morning.
Hope some of this may help, but it sounds like you are in touch with your DSN who are the best people to help you

flump36

Thank-you for your reply. I am going on a 2 hour course to do with carb counting don't think this is DAFNE, this was mentioned by my consultant so it is in pipeline