Exercise advice for a sedentary 60yo

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone.

I'm a 60yo male who's been pretty sedentary for many a long year. I've started taking long brisk walks since my T2 diagnosis as I feel that anything more strenuous would be dangerous at my age and fitness level. I keep meaning to speak to my GP about it but as I'm a relatively newly diagnosed T2 I've had more pressing questions to ask in the limited consultation time.

Can any of the experienced exercise gurus offer any advice?

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, walking is great if you have the time. Perfectly natural with no impact damage. Try to do one hour a day fast enough to raise your heart rate, and ENJOY it!

D

Deleted member 308541

I am not a exercise guru, but I play social lawn bowls a couple of times a week.

A fair bit of walking, bending of legs, bowling the bowl underarm exercise during the game.

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your replies @barrym and @Tipetoo (I always (mis)read your name as tippy-toe :oops:).

I do enjoy walking. There's a large park nearby that's very pleasant in decent weather. Not that we've seen much of that here in London recently!! I also walk into town for shopping. That's about a mile each way. I usually take a roundabout route if time permits so it's actually longer.

I don't really see myself partaking in extremely strenuous activity so something like bowls might just be the ticket. I'm considering getting an exercise bike for those days when the weather stinks too much for walking.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone.

I'm a 60yo male who's been pretty sedentary for many a long year. I've started taking long brisk walks since my T2 diagnosis as I feel that anything more strenuous would be dangerous at my age and fitness level. I keep meaning to speak to my GP about it but as I'm a relatively newly diagnosed T2 I've had more pressing questions to ask in the limited consultation time.

Hi Captain, you'd be surprised at what you can achieve at your age (I'm 59). Admittedly I have been running for years but if you take it slowly at first (and providing you have no health issues that prevent exercise) you will be amazed at how quickly your body adapts. Walking is great (maybe that will turn into a trot?) and swimming is good too, as is cycling. x

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Captain Crunch ,How about swimming? I was diagnosed Type 2 about the same time I retired. I went swimming!! I loved it. As a child my longest swim was 2 lengths now I swim between 40 and 50 lengths regularly.

Reactions: LaoDan and MNawaz2

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Walking is a great exercise in it's own right, and òr gateway for building a base into a little more, such as body weight squats and lunges.

Reactions: mo53

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @KK123, @moe53 and @Mbaker.

I'd like to build up to running ideally. As I mentioned, I've been sedentary for a long time and not terribly fit although I'm not aware of any particular issues apart from T2. I think I'll request a general check-up from my GP before attempting anything strenuous.

Swimming is supposed to be a good exercise. Sadly I can't swim due to an incident when I was a very young lad. My parents took me to a swimming pool and I slipped on the steps and went head-first under the water. That distressed me so much that I haven't been since. I still have a fear of deep water to this day.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I think I'll keep with the brisk walks for now and build up to jogging/running if I get the all-clear from my GP.

Rachel_H

Hi Captain, I’m a T2 too and am on week 1 of Couch to 5k. Started it yesterday- there is a handy app to go with it. Basically you walk to walk up then there are jogs of 60 seconds followed by walks for 90 seconds- the whole thing takes 30 mins 3 x per week (not consecutive days). Maybe worth a shot?

Reactions: JenniferM55

colinrim

I joined the gym with the express intention of swimming most mornings before work...... the day before lockdown... typical!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Captain Crunch how are you doing? I would like to dispute 60 being old! I'd hope that if you've gotten some walking under your belt, you are feeling a bit younger?

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am rapidly heading towards 57 and have just taken up mountain biking! I have only done little pootling around local bike paths in a very on-and-off manner previously, so I have lots to learn. I do currently have a fair number of ‘involuntary dismounts’ (scabs on my knees and elbows, it’s like being a kid again!) but I am really loving it. 4 weeks in and I am already seeing tiny improvements in fitness and bike skills.

So I think, if you are generally healthy and are sensible in how you approach it, you can do whatever you fancy. Learning something new as we get older is essential, I think, otherwise we will just fossilise!

Reactions: zauberflote

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Squats, start with 5 a day, increase slowly to 100
Stairs, walk up a flight of stairs. Add more.
Walk after every meal for 10 minutes.
Get into a gym, ride a stationary bike.
Move some light dumbbells around.

This was my start up program lol

Reactions: zauberflote

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am rapidly heading towards 57 and have just taken up mountain biking! I have only done little pootling around local bike paths in a very on-and-off manner previously, so I have lots to learn. I do currently have a fair number of ‘involuntary dismounts’ (scabs on my knees and elbows, it’s like being a kid again!) but I am really loving it. 4 weeks in and I am already seeing tiny improvements in fitness and bike skills.

So I think, if you are generally healthy and are sensible in how you approach it, you can do whatever you fancy. Learning something new as we get older is essential, I think, otherwise we will just fossilise!

Please do ensure, even in this heat you wear protective headgear. Mountain biking (or cycling of most sorts) can be extremely dangerous. Those involuntary dismounts can be life-changing things.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please do ensure, even in this heat you wear protective headgear. Mountain biking (or cycling of most sorts) can be extremely dangerous. Those involuntary dismounts can be life-changing things.
Oh for sure! I am a big proponent of safety gear! I also had a horse for many years (and I also hope to resume horse-riding this autumn) and I always have the best headgear I can find. Delighted to discover that MIPS is now a thing, to help mitigate the rotational forces. This was something which was always missing until relatively recently, my new bike helmet has this, and I will also treat myself to a nice new riding hat with this feature.

I landed on my head on concrete many years ago (getting on my horse - don’t ask...) and woke up in hospital. My jockey skull was cracked clean through and I had a bad concussion. If I hadn’t had a great hat I shudder to think of the consequences. In my experience, it’s always the everyday activities that cause the bad accidents, I guess you just don’t pay as much attention as you do when you are doing something you know should be riskier!

Knee and elbow pads are my next bike-related purchase...:cat:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh for sure! I am a big proponent of safety gear! I also had a horse for many years (and I also hope to resume horse-riding this autumn) and I always have the best headgear I can find. Delighted to discover that MIPS is now a thing, to help mitigate the rotational forces. This was something which was always missing until relatively recently, my new bike helmet has this, and I will also treat myself to a nice new riding hat with this feature.

I landed on my head on concrete many years ago (getting on my horse - don’t ask...) and woke up in hospital. My jockey skull was cracked clean through and I had a bad concussion. If I hadn’t had a great hat I shudder to think of the consequences. In my experience, it’s always the everyday activities that cause the bad accidents, I guess you just don’t pay as much attention as you do when you are doing something you know should be riskier!

Knee and elbow pads are my next bike-related purchase...:cat:

A friend of mine's son suffered a brain injury, mountain biking. He's never been the same since, with multiple issues, including the loss of much of his sight. He was early 20s at the time.

Don't get me wrong, I can be a thrill seeker, and have had a couple of near things myself, including a miracle when hit by 22 tons of yacht on a downtrend. My instincts to move saved me. Of that I have zero doubt. I only add that to reassure you I'm all in favour of having fun, and accepting the risks that can go along with that, but mitigating where plausible.

Happy pedaling.