Exercise and drop in HbA1C

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone know if exercise produces a drop in HbA1C, since June I have slowly increased my exercise, sometimes walking 2 hours a day, but always one hour when the weather permits, and my knee is ok. My food hasn't significantly changed, but with more weight loss I am not in so much of a caloric deficit per day. Just wondering if it's the weight loss that produces a drop in Hb A1C, or the combination of weight loss and more exercise.

Reactions: dave4542

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Weight loss helps stop insulin resistance. But exercise forces your body to use glucose, which can lower you blood sugar level.
Both therefor can help lower your HbA1C.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the clarification. I still want to lose 10 more kg and see what my A1C is then. I have an appointment with my endo on the 16th of December, I shall see what happens then with the blood work.

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
Thanks for the clarification. I still want to lose 10 more kg and see what my A1C is then. ....

Crickey Quinn1066 you have lost half your body weight and have an absolutely amazing A1C figure. You have done brilliantly and I don't think you need to make any more changes.

Reactions: Quinn1066

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah, I have a goal weight and want to reach that. Also lower weight makes the type 2 diabetes easier to manage, as well improving and better coping with my lymphedema in my left leg which is a result of being morbidly obese for so long.

Reactions: dave4542

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh there have been significant dietary changes, very significant. I just meant that I hadn't changed what I eat since I started walking and increasing the walking. I no longer binge eat, I eat three meals a day, carbs below 70 grams a day. Always in a calorie deficit. Breakfast is 47g rolled oats, protein powder and full fat yoghurt has been for the past 6 months. Lunch is crispbread cheese/vegemite or cheese and tuna (total of 16g carbs). Dinner is meat and non starchy vegetables. Treats are 95% dark chocolate on porridge when I reduce some of the yoghurt, and butternut squash mashed with cauliflower and cultured butter. I still have 0.25 cup of 2% milk a day in either two coffee's or 4 teas.

Reactions: Marie 2

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Does anyone know if exercise produces a drop in HbA1C, since June I have slowly increased my exercise, sometimes walking 2 hours a day, but always one hour when the weather permits, and my knee is ok. My food hasn't significantly changed, but with more weight loss I am not in so much of a caloric deficit per day. Just wondering if it's the weight loss that produces a drop in Hb A1C, or the combination of weight loss and more exercise.

Hi Quin1066,
You are doing really well.
I get the feeling that you may have a slightly mistaken view of what causes your HbA1C to drop. - The direct cause is not 'weight loss' or 'more exercise'.
What reduces HbA1C is a reduced average Blood Glucose over the life of your red Blood Cells (around 2 to 3 months).
And what reduces your Blood Glucose is either:
1. A reduced intake of Carbs (doesn't have to be in Calorie deficit).
2. An improvement in Insulin resistance, which in turn is often seen along with weight loss, but is actually improved by a reduction in the internal (visceral) Fat around our Liver and Pancreas.

So exercise can help, but it is what you eat (either diet or just 'way of eating') that is the key. You can't outrun a poor diet!

Reactions: Quinn1066