Exercise Calories and mmol

mike944

Hi, I'm working on getting my blood sugars back under control as I let them slip away a bit. Anyway as a bit of an experiment I decided to take a blood reading before and after exercise to see what the effect is. I did 15 minutes fairly high intensity on the cross trainer which it tells me is 210 calories. Pre exercise reading was 8.9 mmol and half an hour after 6.3 mmol which is a 2.6 drop.

Has anyone else tried to tie calorie burn up to mmol drop? If so what sort of results did you get?

I plan to do 15 mins in the morning (if I get out of bed on time) and 15 in the evening. I'll keep taking before and after readings and see if I get an average.

Mike

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i rarely test anymore but i on average used to get a slight rise after but a general average drop of 4.0

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I generally see a small rise followed by a big drop, Frequently stays low for the next 24 hours or more if I do more than an hour of continuous exercise

Sent from a melting iceberg. help!!!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
A lot will depend on the individual, the exercise and the intensity. There are many other variables too which will impact BG levels. I honestly think it's an impossible task to accurately measure mmol drop to exercise/calorie deficit. What is certain though is that exercise has a huge impact on health and BG levels.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Remember what happens in a healthy person: Sugars stay around 5 for the duration of exercise! Exercise helps remove sugar from the blood, sure, but indirectly; and the liver replaces sugar into the blood at the same time! So the actual amount of sugar you burn can't be measured in mmol/L...

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As with most things with diabetes, it's not as simple as it sounds. Some exercises push your BGs up, whilst some down. Exercises that are high in intensity make your body stressed, which makes the liver produce glucose. Lower intensity exercises will make them go down.

If you keep the exercise regime consistent - i.e. at the same time of day, the same exercise, the same intensity, the same time after injecting or eating, and if your basal is always correct - then you should be able to match the calories burned to a change in BGs. Also, don't forget that BG meters are accurate to within 15% of the actual value, so if your BG is out by a few decimal points then it can be considered consistent.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There has been some informal research on 14 min of exercise.
On 14th Nov many people with diabetes take part it the Big Blue Test, originally it was 14 min of exercise with a test before and after.
That first year (2009) I attempted to analyse the results (difficult as they were just in the form of forum posts). This is what I found (average drop in those whose glucose fell: 1.41mmol/l

The whole thing has got a lot bigger than that first time.
In the last couple of years people have inserted their data into a form and this has been analysed with the results reported in Diabetes Care.
In 2011 89.2% of the 3196 participants experienced a fall in glucose.
Those on insulin (−35.2 ± 0.7 ) mean fall: 1.78mmol/l
Those not using insulin ( −23.0 ± 1.0) mean fall : 1.27mmo/l

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/36/2/e21.long

So for most people just 14min can cause a significant drop.

In 2012 people did differing amounts of exercise and also reported when they did that exercise. This again was reported in Diabetes Care theres quite a lot to sift through but:
Most of the 5000+ participants used insulin (90%). The greatest drop was found with 30 min or more exercise done 1 or 2 hours after eating. (2.22mmol/l but with big variations)
Walking was the most popular but produced the lowest drop .
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/conten ... l.pdf+html

And of course you can do the BBT yourself now and anytime up to the 14th Nov. and help to raise some money for charitable diabetes projects in the US Haiti and the Dominican Republic.
http://bigbluetest.org/what-is-big-blue-test/

Attachments

• big blue test.JPG
    big blue test.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 491