Exercise & Insulin

Daz

Im having a spot of bother at the moment, Ive just joined Bannatynes Gym where I live in Rotherham, and not wanting to have a funny doo, Ive not took any Humalog with my meals and only took Glargine at night and Ive been having hypos at about 8 in the morning !!!!

so looks like Ive got to start cutting my background stuff down a little, but is this normal to be not having to take any fast acting stuff at all :?:

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Daz,
I'm not sure what the protacol for adults is, but i know with my 10yr old son we often have to reduce his Levemir at night (back ground insulin) when we know he has a physical activity to participate in, ie swimming. Then his humalog needs adjusting to take into account his carb intake and activity so is always reduced by 2-3u. Also we find after really strenuous activity it can still be working on the body the following day, hence hypos.
But at the end of the day everyones requirements are different and it really is trial and error. If your at the gym 2-3 days a week you'l soon see a pattern form and will be able to take your lead from that. Plus i'm sure they'l be other sporty types along to give you the imformation you require.
Suzi x

bettylollypop

Hi there, my son (7) does martial arts and he does p.e twice a week at school. Things will be different for different people of different ages etc but my son just has a funsize mars bar before any activity and it normally is ok. During his Taekwondo half way through he comes over and has a big gulp of lucozade then gets on with it again. though as time goes on i suppose this will change. Oh and his nurse has told him to have extra dinner on the nights of martial arts too.