Exercise really works!

Poppy.2015.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Last March after getting my test results I discovered I was no longer borderline I now have type 2 diabetes. This is the scare I needed. I cut out refined sugar completely, got on the treadmill every day starting 10 mind on 4 km per hour. I now do 50 mind on 5.5 kph with an incline of 10.
I purchased the meter with the test strips and lancets and tested before and after exercise results. Yesterday I skipped the treadmill and thoroughly spring cleaned my apartment - a full days work, for lunch I had grilled chicken breastfeeding with salad. Carried on with the housework on hands and knees washing, drying, polishing and buffing parquet floors (lliving room, dining room and bedrooms. Blood test was the lowest it's been so far 107 and I am not taking any med.
When diagnosed my fasting blood glucose was 174 (rreference range 60 -100)
Post prandial was 205 (reference range 140 - 200)
Now before breakfast still high 135 and after breakfast/eexercise 105
I forgot to say I am 65 and live in Egypt, have under active thyroid so usually I sleep a lot. That's also an improvement. Today I feel 20 years younger, more energy and I feel happy. :)

Reactions: 4 people

Poppy.2015.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
LOL just read through what I've written chicken breasts Not breastfeeding! and mins instead of mind. I hate this auto correct, but it does add Humour!

Reactions: 10 people

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for this encouraging post, Poppy! I have an exercise bike, but I still haven't got into a regular routine with it - I can do it too!

Reactions: 2 people

Poppy.2015.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for this encouraging post, Poppy! I have an exercise bike, but I still haven't got into a regular routine with it - I can do it too!
I try to get on the treadmill straight after breakfast. I'm still testing my blood before and after 2 hours after breakfast. Are you taking any Med? And do you have any tips for me? I still don't really understand why blood sugar is so slow to come down and so quick to go Up!
Will be very interested to see if you get good results too. Just start off slowly. A few minutes is better than none. Don't push yourself so that you hate it. I've downloaded an app for my phone and keep record of daily distance, calories burned etc. So far I have walked 107km. Please keep me posted on how you progress. :) GOOD LUCK!

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am no diabetic expert, but have experience in exercise and diet. All my family, except me are T2D and suffering.

my advise would be:
1. Maintain a strict diet regime: consider only foods that are for T2D folks. Do not over eat. Do not starve - never ever. You need to understand your body reaction to carb loading in early days of T2D onset.

2. Exercise: you need two different versions. Version 1: leisure walk for 50 min with your friends or dog or whatever. Version 2: 30 min to 40 of cardio or HIIT. Note: Version 1 and 2 are very different, ver1 usually may not produce sweat, but ver2 should result in sweating. You should alternate Ver 1 and Ver 2 on alternate days. Do not stick to one version as you are 64. Do not over do exercise either. I know some T2D folks in your age try over-doing fitness exercises and eventually injure themselves. It is important that you stay in one peace while you improve.

Best

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I try to get on the treadmill straight after breakfast. I'm still testing my blood before and after 2 hours after breakfast. Are you taking any Med? And do you have any tips for me? I still don't really understand why blood sugar is so slow to come down and so quick to go Up!
Will be very interested to see if you get good results too. Just start off slowly. A few minutes is better than none. Don't push yourself so that you hate it. I've downloaded an app for my phone and keep record of daily distance, calories burned etc. So far I have walked 107km. Please keep me posted on how you progress. :) GOOD LUCK!
I'm still very new at this (diabetes; I have been fat and unfit for a long time) and I haven't started testing my blood glucose (I haven't been given a meter, but I want to get one). I've not been given any medication, either, just told to lose weight... There's so much I don't understand yet, but I'm working on educating myself through books and this forum.
I have been taking it slowly, but regularly, with 10 minutes on the bike to start with. When I get a bit fitter, I want to add the High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) twice a week, like this http://www.mercola.com/infographics/what-is-peak-fitness.htm There is a lot of interesting articles on that site too!
Which app are you using? I'd like to add it all up and see how far I've cycled - maybe map it around the country, or the world... ;) Now I'm being very optimistic!

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
I am almost 68 years old :( but age is just a number to me , I refuse to slow down and regularly walk up to 5 miles per day with my dogs :) As well as keeping me fit and active , its helped me to attain really good blood sugar levels alongside a lower carb diet . I would have to be dragged, kicking and screaming if anyone were to tell me to slow down , plus walking is a great time to muse ;)

Reactions: 4 people

Poppy.2015.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm still very new at this (diabetes; I have been fat and unfit for a long time) and I haven't started testing my blood glucose (I haven't been given a meter, but I want to get one). I've not been given any medication, either, just told to lose weight... There's so much I don't understand yet, but I'm working on educating myself through books and this forum.
I have been taking it slowly, but regularly, with 10 minutes on the bike to start with. When I get a bit fitter, I want to add the High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) twice a week, like this http://www.mercola.com/infographics/what-is-peak-fitness.htm There is a lot of interesting articles on that site too!
Which app are you using? I'd like to add it all up and see how far I've cycled - maybe map it around the country, or the world... ;) Now I'm being very optimistic!
My daughter downloaded an app called treadmill which is like an Excel programme and you can add columns and just type in things like, time, distance, calories, etc. I admire your ambition to cycle round the world. Sounds like you're doing all the right things. :) I also need to lose weight about a stone would be great.

Poppy.2015.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am no diabetic expert, but have experience in exercise and diet. All my family, except me are T2D and suffering.

my advise would be:
1. Maintain a strict diet regime: consider only foods that are for T2D folks. Do not over eat. Do not starve - never ever. You need to understand your body reaction to carb loading in early days of T2D onset.

2. Exercise: you need two different versions. Version 1: leisure walk for 50 min with your friends or dog or whatever. Version 2: 30 min to 40 of cardio or HIIT. Note: Version 1 and 2 are very different, ver1 usually may not produce sweat, but ver2 should result in sweating. You should alternate Ver 1 and Ver 2 on alternate days. Do not stick to one version as you are 64. Do not over do exercise either. I know some T2D folks in your age try over-doing fitness exercises and eventually injure themselves. It is important that you stay in one peace while you improve.

Best

Poppy.2015.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks very much for your advice. I am definitely guilty of over exerting myself. Thankfully, my daughter suggested that I slow down a bit so that I am more comfortable and can exercise longer. I am looking slimmer and my clothes are getting baggy but the scales are not showing much weight loss!

Poppy.2015.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am almost 68 years old :( but age is just a number to me , I refuse to slow down and regularly walk up to 5 miles per day with my dogs :) As well as keeping me fit and active , its helped me to attain really good blood sugar levels alongside a lower carb diet . I would have to be dragged, kicking and screaming if anyone were to tell me to slow down , plus walking is a great time to muse ;)
You are so lucky to be living in Cornwall. It must be wonderful walking in the countryside. I live in Alexandria, Egypt and use the treadmill to avoid the crowds and pollution! I totally agree with you about age being a number you're as old as you feel. :)