Expected diagnosis of T2 today, decided to be proactive and get involved with a community

Hi everyone,

T2 runs in my family (all the blokes!) So my diagnosis today wasn't really a surprise. I've been prescribed 500mg Metformin, ramping up to twice a day over a week. I've my diabetes nurse appointment tomorrow (next day service! Safe to say I love the NHS!)

I wouldn't say I'm shocked as I expected the diagnosis, I'm more annoyed at myself for a "year of gluttony" - truth be told I feel a bit selfish for adding extra burden on my GP and the practice nurses when they're dealing with Covid and trying to keep appointments virtual!

I lost my business to covid early on so been home schooling my kid mostly and eating like a pig!!! Combined with less exercise, lots more stress I've piled weight on but no use crying over spilled milk as they say! I forgot to ask what my HbAa1c was but guessing relatively high to be on Metformin right away. Other tests were fine, which was nice.

I've spent the evening reading about diabetes, and applied for a free "contour next one" because I'm a huge techy & hobby data scientist, and enjoy analysing data! So hopefully will get a nice "smart" meter to aide my treatment!

As for my rating habits, I've done keto before because of arthritis & asthma, so I'm heading right back to keto after today! i believe Metformin is ok with this diet as it can't cause hypoglycemia ?!(will be confirming this at my appointment tomorrow).

Is there anything you wished you'd asked at your first appointment? I've a list of questions for tomorrow but eager to see what others asked too, if you don't mind sharing!

Cheers.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The advice is to ease back on the carbs gently as it can - if you are susceptible, cause eye problems.
Maybe take a month to evaluate your present diet and make a few experiments - swapping chopped cauliflower for rice can seem rather strange - but it is actually a bit tastier. Try cooking slices of swede under a chicken (you might need to drain off the juice half way through, but I turn a roast over half way through cooking anyway so it is no bother) or you can boil it and then mash it with cream.
Metformin is unlikely to cause hypos, but it can really upset your gut. I felt as though I was going to be turned inside out during the 5 weeks I took it, but I felt so ill I just gave up - then was rather peeved to find I did not need it.

Reactions: DiabeticViking

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @DiabeticViking and welcome to the forum!
I was diagnosed type 2 nearly four years ago, and on the night of diagnosis found this forum, which was my saving grace. I was started on Metformin and still take it, I tolerate it very well with no adverse effects since 10 days after starting it. Metformin only helps a little with blood sugars, the low carb diet was more instrumental in lowering my HbA1c to non diabetic levels with in four months. I have maintained non diabetic HbA1cs ever since.

The advice is to ease back on the carbs gently as it can - if you are susceptible, cause eye problems.
Maybe take a month to evaluate your present diet and make a few experiments - swapping chopped cauliflower for rice can seem rather strange - but it is actually a bit tastier. Try cooking slices of swede under a chicken (you might need to drain off the juice half way through, but I turn a roast over half way through cooking anyway so it is no bother) or you can boil it and then mash it with cream.
Metformin is unlikely to cause hypos, but it can really upset your gut. I felt as though I was going to be turned inside out during the 5 weeks I took it, but I felt so ill I just gave up - then was rather peeved to find I did not need it.
Ah yes read about the upset tummy issue thanks for reminding me! I'll double check my prescription in the morning.

I guess its a marathon not a sprint so taking some time to see what foods affect my BC is a good idea for the long term!

Cheers.

Hi @DiabeticViking and welcome to the forum!
I was diagnosed type 2 nearly four years ago, and on the night of diagnosis found this forum, which was my sving grace. I was started on Metformin and still take it, I tolerate it very well with no adverse effects since 10 days after starting it. Metformin only helps a little with blood sugars, the low carb diet was more instrumental in lowering my HbA1c to non diabetic levels with in four months. I have maintained non diabetic HbA1cs ever since.

Thanks Rachox! It's a wealth of information and certainly think it'll help me going forward!

That's interesting to hear! and great going too! Gives me hope that my target for my 3month review is achievable! I'm going to take a little time to check which foods cause BC spikes for me I think. Get the data now so later on I can hopefully manage with diet from a more informed position. Although with the potential longevity, and anti-inflammatory actions of Metformin I wouldn't be devastated if I needed a maintenance dose (maybe that's not the best attitude as it is a medicine, and has side effects too but hey ho!)

Cheers

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On the meter front, while you’ve applied for a free meter, the testing strips are the biggest expense over time, so I’d suggest getting one which has low cost strips.

Either the Tee 2 offered by spirit healthcare or the Gluco Navii offered by home health would be good choices for low cost strips. If you call them and order a decent quantity of strips they’d likely throw in the meter for free (did for me with the Tee 2).

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/
https://homehealth-uk.com/

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I went very low carb straight away and my levels have been in the normal range since. I do occasionally have a blip with something that my body reacts to more than expected or stress and illness.

I got a meter that syncs to my phone and I am so glad I did. I had found this forum when I heard back from my doctor that I. needed to come in urgently to discuss my blood tests- I also expected the diagnosis but it was still a shock. My husband also did some research. He didn't find this site- found the Australian diabetes website which spouted off healthy carb nonsense. he won't on board with ,low carb at first but is not a true believer- the results speak for themselves.

Good luck and welcome.