Expert Patient Programme

Snodger

hello all,

I'm new here so forgive me if this has already been asked - I did a search but nothing came up.

Have any of you been on the Expert Patient Programme - http://www.expertpatients.co.uk/ - and if so what did you think? Actually, even if you haven't been on it, what do you think about it..?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
It has been mentioned on here before. This is probably one of the best threads about the course which was posted by IanD. Makes interesting reading, albeit just one man's experiences.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=13109#p119493

We have previously had members post that it is good in parts and others who say that it is a waste of time. If you are going on one, go along with an open mind and see what they say. Apparently the information and advice varies from area to area around the UK.

Ken

Snodger

ah, that's why I couldn't find anything - didn't search for X-pert, only Expert. Is the X-pert one only for type 2? seems to be.
It looks from the link on Ian's postings as though type 2 gets the X-pert course and type 1 gets DAFNE, is that roughly right?

badmedisin

X-pert is a course for type 2s. Expert Patient Programme is nothing to do with diabetes. It's a general course for people with any chronic condition that teaches you about communicating with doctors, ways to control pain, depression and related issues that people with chronic conditions are likely to experience. I think it could be useful to some people but I didn't feel like I learnt anything really.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I did the X-pert programme about 12 months ago. I am T2 but on isulin from start and the course seemed to be 100% for T2 on tabs/diet and seemed to skip over my experiences/ problems. The questions I asked were attempted but answers seemed to be pushing the instructors so probably good for average T2 but is you are out of the ordinary you need luck. But hey it ticked a few NHS boxes!! :cry: