Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Hi,

I believe that the normal G6 sensor life is 10 days.
I have also been told that it is possible to extend this to 20 or sometimes even 30 days.

My question is:
Has anyone experienced "skin issues" by leaving a G6 attached for a long time?
My concern is that there is little point in extending the sensor to 20 or 30 days if your skin can't handle it.

I know that some of you guys are extending your sensors.

Any thoughts?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Capt-Slog . I’ve not upgraded to the G6 yet. I’m still using G4. I suspect the adhesive method for all Dexcom sensors will remain the same. My record for keeping a sensor on is current 45 days. The only reason I removed the sensor was because it stopped working.
My current sensor is approaching 28 days, I’ve never had any skin issues in the 2 yrs using Dexcom.
Others do have issues as I’m aware.
I think it’s a personal thing. It doesn’t cost anything to extend the life of a G6.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There are people who get skin issues after 3 days or 3 hours. That doesn't mean everyone else should take their Dex off after 3 days of course.
Why not simply extend and take it off if any rash or itching should start?

Reactions: Capt-Slog

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Capt-Slog There isn't any issue with the skin as such as my skin is sensitive I am amazed that there is little to no reaction after this period of time, but the sensor's adhesive is designed to last 10 days so much longer and they start to fall off unless stuck down with tape, the accuracy is pretty good for up to 20 days, haven't gone any longer though.

Reactions: porl69

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
There are people who get skin issues after 3 days or 3 hours. That doesn't mean everyone else should take their Dex off after 3 days of course.
Why not simply extend and take it off if any rash or itching should start?

Yeah, that was my intention. I was just trying to get a feel for whether it was a widespread issue when people extend, or whether it was just a very small percentage of people.
I know that some people are always going to have issues with adhesives, no matter what the length of time. What i was more interested in was whether people who wear for 10 days without problem, have found that there is more of an issue after say 20 days?

On a personal note I find that i get a lot of itching with my Libre towards day 14 because of the small hairs re-growing under the sensor.

Reactions: porl69 and Antje77

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
@Capt-Slog . I’ve not upgraded to the G6 yet. I’m still using G4. I suspect the adhesive method for all Dexcom sensors will remain the same. My record for keeping a sensor on is current 45 days. The only reason I removed the sensor was because it stopped working.
My current sensor is approaching 28 days, I’ve never had any skin issues in the 2 yrs using Dexcom.
Others do have issues as I’m aware.
I think it’s a personal thing. It doesn’t cost anything to extend the life of a G6.

45 days, Wow! I'm not sure what the maximum is for a G6.
How do you know when it is time to change your sensor?
Do you do occasional BG readings to check it?
How come you are still using the G4?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I have very sensitive skin and am allergic to every medical tape I can think of and have had no problem with the G6 or the Skin Tac I have to use to keep it on. My sensors stay on for anywhere from 26-36 days and my skin never has any issues with it.

I will have to say Dexcom is working hard to stop us from restarting our G6 sensors. Some of the new transmitters aren't letting people do so. There is an easy way to start the ones in the past, but you have to use the bluetooth unpaired method to have a chance at the newer ones.

What is even weirder is the 81 series transmitter I am wearing right now has restarted 2 sensors several times, but this last one wouldn't work the "normal" way. So I went to the bluetooth unpaired method and it wouldn't work either. So I went back and forth several times over hours and finally had gotten it restarted and had to repeat that process the next time to restart it again. But I'm not sure what I did to finally get it to work both times. I am really wondering if an update to the Dexcom ap made it recognize restarts. This is just a rumor I have heard so I'm not sure whether it's true.

But people are having major issues with restarting their G6 sensors now.

Reactions: Capt-Slog

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Capt-Slog . The reason I’ve still got G4’s is because I ordered a box of 4 just prior to them stopping them a while back.
The 45 days was an exception, I average about 22 days per sensor. I then try to go a week without wearing one. So usually I get through 1 sensor a month.
The G4 lasts for 7 days officially but a very simple reboot just set it up for a further 7 days and so on.
The G4 had to be calibrated every 12 hrs at least, as it’s lifespan continued then I would keep a closer eye on its accuracy with more frequent BS checks.
How did I know it was about dead? A few different things could and would happen.
??? Would appear on the screen on a regular basis, the numbers posted to the receiver every 5 mins would start jumping up and down far to erratically, the sensor would be way out compared to BS.
As for the G6 I have very little to go on at the moment but once I’ve used my last G4 I should be a bit wiser.
Good luck with yours.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
the accuracy is pretty good for up to 20 days, haven't gone any longer though.
Hi juicy. So where do you hide your receiver during the reboot time. I’ve heard microwaves are good and faraday bags are very good.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @therower as I'm using my phone as a receiver i don't need to hide it, I simply 'forget the device' on my phone, havent heard of anyone hiding their receiver though.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Capt-Slog I've never had any skin issues with any of the sensors I've tried.
One thing you should be aware of is that from what I've read, restarting sensors is more difficult with the latest Dexcom transmitters with serial numbers 8Gxxx. Presumably you will get one of these. People are trying to overcome this but I'm not sure what the current situation is.

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Hi Guys,
Just put up a new Thread asking for some further advice.

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Hi DP,

My Dexcom G6 transmitter starts 8H...
I guess they are working their way through the alphabet.
I wonder if it will be as hard as the 8F transmitters to program my sensor. I really hope not.

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
I have very sensitive skin and am allergic to every medical tape I can think of and have had no problem with the G6 or the Skin Tac I have to use to keep it on. My sensors stay on for anywhere from 26-36 days and my skin never has any issues with it.

Do you get Skin Tac on prescription?

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
I will have to say Dexcom is working hard to stop us from restarting our G6 sensors. Some of the new transmitters aren't letting people do so. There is an easy way to start the ones in the past, but you have to use the bluetooth unpaired method to have a chance at the newer ones.

What is even weirder is the 81 series transmitter I am wearing right now has restarted 2 sensors several times, but this last one wouldn't work the "normal" way. So I went to the bluetooth unpaired method and it wouldn't work either. So I went back and forth several times over hours and finally had gotten it restarted and had to repeat that process the next time to restart it again. But I'm not sure what I did to finally get it to work both times. I am really wondering if an update to the Dexcom ap made it recognize restarts. This is just a rumor I have heard so I'm not sure whether it's true.

But people are having major issues with restarting their G6 sensors now.

Oh Dear,
I have been looking at the link that DunePlodder sent me and it does sound like Dexcom are putting a lot of effort into stopping us hacking their sensors to get more life out of them (can't imagine why).
Pity they couldn't just see that if the sensors were not so expensive in the first place then people wouldn't be trying to do this.

I live in hope for the G7, which apparently is a radical change from their previous sensors and seems to be much more like the Libre in size and price. Fingers crossed

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Capt-Slog 8H transmitter is very new and I don't think much is written about it yet. But probably not promising.

Skin Tac is by Torbot group and over the counter. They have wipes and bottles and you can get it on ebay, Amazon or direct in the USA. I seem to remember it might be harder to find in the UK but I know some people use it there, so it they get it from somewhere.

It works really good and you can reapply more if needed around the edges with a Qtip and it still keeps it looking nice. From a Dexcom that tried to fall off of me by the second or third day to staying on for 25-35 days (with touch ups) And you just peel it off really easily.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Capt-Slog I'm not sure you will get Skin Tac on prescription in the UK, as you using it to go beyond the medical life of a sensor. However the glue removal wipes "Lift Plus" are available on prescription as you might need these for normally applied sensors. ;-)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Chas C I needed to use Skin Tac from the onset as I couldn't get my Dexcom to go past 2-3 days without falling off. The Libre I never had an issue with it staying on.

But I'm not sure you get a Dexcom in the UK on prescription?