1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Extra Ice Gum

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by thaddydv, Oct 5, 2019.

1. thaddydv

thaddydv Type 2 · Member

How many pieces of Extra Ice Gum can I chew In a day

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

The carb content is from polyols (sugar alcohols), a type of sweetener that some people absorb others don’t, so the only way to see if they affect you is to test your blood sugar levels

4. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

As polyols are concerned you mat some good info from the following link.

https://www.myketocal.com/blog/tag/polyols/

"So, are sugar alcohols allowed on the ketogenic diet and modified Atkins diet (MAD)? Technically, most sugar alcohols should be counted as regular carbohydrates and kept to a minimum on the ketogenic and modified Atkins diets (MAD). Although they may affect blood glucose differently in different people, most sugar alcohols have the potential of raising blood sugar. The exception to this rule is erythritol, since it is metabolized differently and does not affect blood glucose. I generally tell my ketogenic diet and modified Atkins diet (MAD) patients that when reading a food label for carbohydrate content, erythritol is the only sugar alcohol that can be deducted from total carbohydrate content. I also tell my patients that sugar alcohol can only be deducted from the total carbohydrate amount if erythritol is the only sugar alcohol used in a product. When other sugar alcohols are used in addition to erythritol, the sugar alcohol content cannot be deducted, so I tell my patients to read the food label’s ingredient list carefully."

5. thaddydv

thaddydv Type 2 · Member

Thank you all for your input very helpful
    Is PUR or Chewsy Safe as they don’t contain Polyols

6. Rachox

Staff Member

From a bit of Googling both those gums contain xylitol which is a polyol, so you’d need to test as I said before when you were thinking about Extra Ice. Also please note that xylitol is poisonous to animals, something you’d need to bear in mind if you have pets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JohnEGreen

Especially dogs I believe, when we had a dog I would not have it in the house.

8. Bogie

Bogie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes, most artificial sweeteners are poisonous for dogs. Even some Peanut Butter brands have artificial sweeteners. Always best to check the content labels.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. thaddydv

thaddydv Type 2 · Member

Thank you all who responded to my questions Which gum can I chew then if all these I asked about are a no no .

10. JohnEGreen

This may help
    Chewing sugar free gum was recommended to me as having had most of my parotid glands removed I don't make a lot of saliva.

Top Keto-friendly Chewing Gum Brands
    #1. PUR Gum
    #2. Spry Gum
    #3. Peppersmith
    #4. XyloBurst
    #5. Epic Dental

https://www.ketovale.com/keto-chewing-gum/

11. Rachox

Staff Member

Polyols aren’t necessarily a no no (except xylitol with pets). If you test your blood sugars you might find that you can chew them with out affecting your blood sugars. I don’t chew gum but eat protein bars which contain polyols and they don’t adversely affect my levels.

12. ianf0ster

ianf0ster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi,
    You seem to be new to the forum.
    Have you read these important pieces of information down in @Rachox signature, about what is best for Type 2 Diabetics, rather than what is often advised by old-school GPs ?

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...cose-testing-supplies-incl-test-strips.19002/
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/questions-to-ask-at-a-diabetes-clinic.17091/
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/community-ethos-forum-rules.50278/

13. thaddydv

thaddydv Type 2 · Member

Again thank you for all your help
    I have decided to stay with the Extra Ice gum but will cut down drastically how many pieces I have a day I will cut down from 20 a day to 5 . Thank you

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook