Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Nocturnal Leg Cramps

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
A few weeks ago, if my memory serves me well, and in response to whether Metformin caused some users to experience severe nocturnal leg cramps; a lady responded by saying, "I take one teaspoonful of Extra Virgin Olive Oil a day since when I have not had a hint of leg cramps" or something along those lines.

I have searched the data base and written a personal letter without success to trace this lady.

Because I suffer from the worst degree of pain in both legs from such cramps I wanted to ask her how she was able to take the oil without gagging
that is, if taken off the teaspoon. Perhaps she added something to it or coated some delicacy with it and consumed it in that manner.

My previous request for help only offered details of Virgin Oil supplements, etc., and, therefore, was not to the point of my question.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It was the leg cramps that peaked me.
Whereabouts? Recently I've been getting mine on the sides on my shins in the morning when I do a stretch of body in bed.... so those have been curtailed. Not really found anything yet that helps... and talking to GP about muscle cramps is hopeless...

I'm probably not going to help here as I consume quite a lot of OO and am able to drink it from the bottle but more normally desert spoons. I don't take if for cramps more LCHF.... top way of getting HF.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Thank you for your efforts. When I receive the info I desire re Extra Virgin Olive Oil I will show how my prevention method goes a long way to prevent nocturnal leg cramps and two rather unpleasant ways to stop a violent attack in its tracks.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why not just take it as salad/veggie dressing, ie as a vinaigette? I don't eat any vegetables, hot or cold, that aren't smothered in the stuff - and I'll admit to be unladylike enough to drink any leftovers from the bowl so that none goes to waste :)

Reactions: 4 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No idea about leg cramps but I also have olive oil vinaigrette daily with a salad or dress things like cooked green beans or spinach etc with slightly warmed oil and garlic.(sometimes other herbs or spices)
When in hospital, at diagnosis the dietitian would order a salad dressed with olive oil and garlic every lunchtime, no matter what the rest of the meal was.The French guidelines say to prefer raw oils and to eat some raw veg each day so it makes sense that they come together as a salad and dressing.

Reactions: 2 people

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Thanks hankjam, Indy51 and phoenix for your efforts. I was looking to take the Olive Oil like
medication - the equivalent of the tsp x once a day as the original poster's regimen rather
than get involved in various salads, etc. I am a very plain eater and live alone and at the age
of 76 am disinclined to change my successful (although boring for some) menu/discipline.
However, I would do almost anything to reduce/ prevent nocturnal leg cramps which have been
my bete noir since coming off Quinine Sulphate. Indy - I just do not know how you can take the
oil 'neat' - I took it straight from the spoon and was almost sick.

I do hope the original lady poster comes forward and maybe help me out.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Could you maybe add a little olive oil to your existing meals? It's what Jamie Oliver does with everything he ever makes.

sillysausage

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi BaliRob
Re: Leg cramps, my GP suggested half a glass of Tonic Water before bed, it works for me.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I vaguely recall seeing a you tube interview with Bernstein where he talks about raising dietary fat levels in his patients if they wanted to gain weight.

In order to control the quantities precisely, he told them to drink a shot glass of olive oil, with every meal.

I kid you not.

I had several reactions to this.
- the man is insane!
- i couldn't do that!
- i wonder if it worked?
- blimey, i wonder what that did to their blood tests...

In the same video, he went on to say that as a weight gain exercise it was a failure, and he ended up raising their protein intake, in order to gain weight - which did work.

But apparently those patients managed to drink the oil, so it must be possible.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry @BaliRob - I don't down it neat - it's mixed with lemon juice to make a vinaigrette dressing and has been diluted by contact with vegetables as well. I just like drinking the leftover "dregs", lol :)

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Thank you sillysausage - that would be the Quinine Sulphate which it contains - in minute quantities of course. For many it appears to be sufficient in keeping nocturnal leg cramps at bay. In my case I needed 2 x 500mg per night to stop the cramps and for eight years not one twinge - it was wonderful. But the FDA had conclusive proof that long-term use of QS was extremely dangerous and had the deaths to prove it.

Indy - your are a breath of good humour - thx. Brunneria - loved the Bernstein anecdote - so some survived drinking the
oil 'neat' .

My conclusion - I will devise a method by which I can scientifically apply the 1 x tsp to my lunch without fail each day.

Tomorrow I will post details of the products and preventative measures I have taken since coming off statins to keep
the evil 'charlie horses' at bay and which, for the most part, have saved me from repeated (very serious) further injuries

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
As promised this is how I live with Nocturnal Leg Cramps with the emphasis on prevention but, if the worst happens, how I combat them.

I came off statins 16 months ago because I had the suspicion that they may have been partially or wholly to blame for the cramps. At least I am certain that they were responsible for joint pains and back and shoulder pains at night. I CANNOT
AND WILL NOT ASSERT that statins were the cause because I simply do not know.

Least said now regarding Quinine Sulphate.

Some posters here suggested Magnesium in most forms and I finally settled on Magnesium Citrate. At first 1 x 200mg before bed but, I felt that I had to increase the dose which I did to another 1 x 200mg after breakfast.

Google carries many articles on the prevention of leg cramps and my attention was drawn to an American product namely
"Stops Leg & Foot Cramps in about one minute" - the article carried so many affirmative opinions with just one or two saying "Not helpful to me," etc., that I felt compelled to send for a supply. It is manufactured by Caleb Treeze Organic Farm,
624 Ruberta Avenue, Glendale, CA Phone 818-247-9600. It is supplied in 8 fl oz liquid form contained in a plastic bottle.
Their website = www.StopsLegCramps.com. It has a terrible taste which I can only describe as a mix of pickle and vinegar juices. On the upside I found that just one small swig, when experiencing the onset of what I knew would be a very bad cramp involving the whole leg, relaxed the problem OUT OF SIGHT in less than two minutes.

I am no longer frightened to go to bed at night!!!!!

For smaller twinges I perform the normal stretching of the toes towards the body which generally suffices but if I feel a little further help is required I wet my finger and dip it into a small phial of salt and place upon my tongue. I also keep the phial with the US product on my bedside table. The small plastic phials supplied for test strips, e.g., One Touch Ultra, etc., are 100% ideal for keeping the salt dry.

To prevent cramp one should develop a Yoga approach to identify, whilst sleeping, the position of one's legs which should be straight and relaxed. It IS possible to be self-aware when asleep and one should practice straightening the legs gently one by one. Never move them suddenly or that will almost certainly cause them to cramp almost immediately.

I know I live in a tropical country but I cannot subscribe to the opinion that my cramps are caused by dehydration and the loss of salt because I suffered the worst possible cramps when living in the UK. However, bearing in mind that salt has been blamed for many heart conditions, I would recommend a slight intake during the day to perhaps maintain whatever balance may be required by the body. It may be absurd but I never used to eat crisps for obvious reasons - no good for one, etc., - but now I do eat half a small packet daily and wonder if the salt in them may be helping me.

Finally, I cannot find a correlation between my blood sugars and Nocturnal Leg Cramps.

I sincerely hope that some or all of the above may be of help.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Ive never heard of olive oil or any other oil being beneficial for leg cramps but tonic water is very good as it contains quinine which is what doctors prescribe for leg cramps. I was a long term user of prednisolone for a respiratory condition which actually caused my diabetes (another story :) ) but which also gave me horrific leg cramps every night and I was prescribed quinine tablets and it had an immediate effect and I never suffered cramps again.

Thankfully I no longer take prednisolone so no longer suffer with leg cramps and havent needed the quinine for many years but it does work, try drinking a small bottle of sugar free tonic water before bed and you should see your cramps go away. It may be a good idea to see your doctor and see what he has to say and even a dietician as it may well be that you are deficient in some mineral or nutrient and a small change in diet could solve your problem too

lindisfel

Expert
Hi,
Hi Re: cramps.
Keeping carbs down can reduce pottasium intake.
Try eating more lugumes if the do not spike your blood glucose.
Derek.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
A bit of salt n pepper on food.. Just a bit. Lashings of oil dressings and keeping to natural foods works a treat for me after 20 + years of hell from pleg pains and restless legs.. Oh and lipoic acid or lipo cam from my vitamin supplier..

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've experienced some fair to hellish cramps, in my outer shins(!) and toes, which seem to lock out of position. Recently I've tried some Magnesium, and although it's not been for long I think they might be doing some good....
having said that, this morning I stretched my legs when I woke up and wished I hadn't.... it's a near reflex action for me.... which I'm trying to stop.
Wish you well.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Forgot that.. I take magnesium too!