Factors for LADA 1.5

klh63

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am curious......started this journey in January 2022 after DKA and hospital....So is there any research any person knows of regarding Toxins and the development of auto immunity attack on the cells in the pancreas........59 suddenly DKA and after much blood and multiple doctors I am insulin dependent it happened fast........The reason I ask about Toxins is 5 years ago I moved an entire herd of horses to a new horse farm......within a few months I had a bunch of them founder enmasse and upon blood work up they all had extremely high glucose numbers....I kept arguing with vets this cant have happened all at once , the herd varies in age and ancestry....Some friends took some to a different state and they all got better.....So ok suddenly I have a bunch of IR horses is the diagnosis and put on meds and we also test hay and water and only odd thing was Molybdenum in the water....of which they had no research for.......but looking back on these 5 years I find it bizarre the horses all became IR en masse, lost 4 dogs and several horses......When the vet hospital lost the first one I asked for a necropsy of which they discovered hyper spleenism and according to them they could find no other equine having that.....he lost a bunch of weight and they thought he had leukemia but after multiple biopsy they could not get a positive.....One lost weight at an alarming pace even though eating everything I gave her double her normal ration and two weeks at the vet hospital she died.......so there have been a few we humanely put down when deteriorated. But what haunts me is the herd en- masse becomes IR, some have died, all ages, varying ancestry but the horses friends came and got got better........Then January out of the blue I am DKA and Type 1.5 after finding the antibodies.....it seems weird to me my horses and I fight the glucose battle and the dogs and yet the ones that left the property were fine after leaving...I have cared for this herd the oldest was 36 the youngest like 8 but all got sick all have been dropping weight just like me some an alarming amount and no matter how much I feed them they dont put weight back on........now me........I have tried to find any research on any toxins that could cause this.......and wondered if anyone has read any......There have been some other weird things with animals that died here.........but the people who live near dont seem to have problems. Will check back later to see if anyone has read anything on toxins and Type 1.5.........My gut tells me there is an environmental issue...........

• Agree
Reactions: Melgar

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My gut tells me there is an environmental issue...........
My gut tells me you are quite right. Hope you get to the bottom of it. I don't know anything about toxins myself, except that living in a city, absolutely everything is hugely polluted.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Your gut is unique to you, it's make up of millions of bacteria, has a direct effect on your health, your life, immune system, and how your brain controls the signal requirements for your digestive response.
There is something called a gut brain axis, that is instrumental in how your hormones supply your body's natural resources for day to day life.
I had a bacterium which probably changed my health, well, it did, because I was constantly having stomach issues for years, decades!
I had a endoscopy and a sample of my bacterial make up was taken for examination, a bacteria called helicobactor pylori, was found.
I took the anti biotics, and the stomach issues went. But as a result of this, I found out a few years later that I had a condition called 'Late Reactive Hypoglycaemia'.
My body now creates too much insulin, after certain foods, mainly carbs.
I was misdiagnosed as T2. Because my blood glucose levels were all over the place.
The majority of doctors and one endocrinologist didn't have a clue, until referred to an endocrinologist who recognised the symptoms, and my fasting levels were in normal levels.
I'm not diabetic, but have classic T2 symptoms if constantly eating carbs.

If I didn't have the tests, if I hadn't had the referral, if I didn't try and find out what my body was doing and sorting my diet, the way my body reacts to certain foods is my health.

This is why you should always ask questions and discuss what is supposed to happen with the advice.

This is why, a goo food diary is so important, why a testing regime is critical, why a balanced dietary regime designed for you by you is crucial in deciding your life ahead.
If you need tests insist on them. Don't let them fob you off, guesswork doesn't give you a place to a belief that you are correct.

Not knowing is pants! Knowing is something to use as a tool.

Best wishes.

klh63

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My gut tells me you are quite right. Hope you get to the bottom of it. I don't know anything about toxins myself, except that living in a city, absolutely everything is hugely polluted.
Working on finding a person to test for toxins and heavy metals........They did tell me I would lose a lot of weight once they found the antibodies.......and I am down a 100 pounds....the horses with the glucose issues have all dropped weight, diagnosed as IR it is not normally a weight loss result. They are also being treated for Cushings even though only two are positive for Cushings......just seems bizarre... I rapidly became insulin dependent in a way shorter time then Endocrine doctor expected...Gonna keep chasing after potential environmental due to the bizarre health issues since moving the herd here and now me....But really no research I can find on potential toxins.

klh63

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Your gut is unique to you, it's make up of millions of bacteria, has a direct effect on your health, your life, immune system, and how your brain controls the signal requirements for your digestive response.
There is something called a gut brain axis, that is instrumental in how your hormones supply your body's natural resources for day to day life.
I had a bacterium which probably changed my health, well, it did, because I was constantly having stomach issues for years, decades!
I had a endoscopy and a sample of my bacterial make up was taken for examination, a bacteria called helicobactor pylori, was found.
I took the anti biotics, and the stomach issues went. But as a result of this, I found out a few years later that I had a condition called 'Late Reactive Hypoglycaemia'.
My body now creates too much insulin, after certain foods, mainly carbs.
I was misdiagnosed as T2. Because my blood glucose levels were all over the place.
The majority of doctors and one endocrinologist didn't have a clue, until referred to an endocrinologist who recognised the symptoms, and my fasting levels were in normal levels.
I'm not diabetic, but have classic T2 symptoms if constantly eating carbs.

If I didn't have the tests, if I hadn't had the referral, if I didn't try and find out what my body was doing and sorting my diet, the way my body reacts to certain foods is my health.

This is why you should always ask questions and discuss what is supposed to happen with the advice.

This is why, a goo food diary is so important, why a testing regime is critical, why a balanced dietary regime designed for you by you is crucial in deciding your life ahead.
If you need tests insist on them. Don't let them fob you off, guesswork doesn't give you a place to a belief that you are correct.

Not knowing is pants! Knowing is something to use as a tool.

Best wishes.
I do have the auto immune response that have killed off the insulin producing cells.......happened rapidly... It has become a roller coaster..extreme highs and extreme lows.....getting better control of it all.

ziko

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Were you under stress or the horse were scared or agitated?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Type 1 (of which 1.5/Lada is a version) does result in rapid progress onto insulin in many cases and weight loss is associated with the lack of insulin meaning energy from glucose is unavailable. So this part of the history is unsurprising to me. What caused the widespread insulin/glucose issues among you and your animals is a mystery to me. Some type 1 are triggered by an illness or virus so potentially that might be an avenue of explore.

By the way your profile shows you as type 2 rather than 1 or 1.5 or LADA so you need to change that or else you’ll get inappropriate responses going forward to your posts.

Last edited:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The effect that viruses can have on the pancreas is not yet readily accepted by the medical profession but I think it could be relevant in your case as I think it was in mine. I also know of a colleague who developed LADA after a liver infection. It isn't always an auto-immune condition.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As @HSSS says, I was on insulin the day I was diagnosed with Type 1 in my thirties. So, I agree. It can result in rapid progress onto insulin in many cases.
I was given a checklist of symptoms at the time and the only one I couldn't tick was coma. I was fatigued. I was thirsty. I was going to the toilet every 30 minutes. I had thrush. I had lost weight. My eye sight was blurred. This all came on within 3 weeks so pretty fast.

In hindsight, I really can't understand why the first GP diagnosed a UTI but that's another story.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
LADA after a liver infection. It isn't always an auto-immune condition.
The first A in LADA stands for autoimmune, so LADA is always an auto-immune condition.
It is thought that the auto-immune reaction can be triggered by viruses and infections.

However, you can get diagnosed with LADA or T1 without testing positive for any of the known antibodies based on other signs.

thesmileyone

Have you had COVID?
I was fine diabetic wise except for a few flare ups when I was over zealous on the binge eating. I got Covid delta in Nov 2021 and since then when it flares up aka long covid my blood sugar goes to ****, constantly swinging from hyper to hypo with very little stabilisation in between. Long Covid is basically viral auto immunity and it seems to take anything that's either wrong with you or potentially wrong with you, and amplify it. Then a week or two it goes away and you're back to normal until it flares up again. Avoiding alcohol completely seems to be the #1 factor in not getting flare ups.