Failed cannula

Suzyzirfas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My son has recently been put on the medtronic 640 pump back in August. We were advised to go on this as he is so young and his bloods are so unstable and this would help level them out. However we have noticed that he is getting several cannula fails sonetimes where we have to change thw cannula up to 3 times a day. He is an active 3 year old and is very tiny and not at all chubby. The medtronic trainer advised that as he has barely any fat on him the best place for the cannula would be in his bottom, this was working great in the beginning but now we have noticed that his bloods are high constantly and when we change the cannula the little needle is always bent. We have placed a nee cannula in his leg as per instructions from the nurses but he is complaining that the site is sore. Can anyone help with any other advice. Many thanks x

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Suzy - what cannula sets is he using ?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What sites have tried so far......?

What cannula type is being used.....? I use quick set but I would think that may be too big for a small child......

The stomach and upper thighs always work good for me....

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Suzy. I have a Medtronic 640G as well, and I'm very lean. I've used both the Quick-set 90-degree, 6mm cannulas in my buttocks, and the Mio 30 angled, 13mm ones in my abdomen. Both of them can often go wrong, and I find I have to change them several times until I get one that 'feels right'. Alas, in your situation, your sone may not be able to tell what 'feels right'.

If all else fails, you could try to get a different pump from your healthcare team. Medtronic only do their own cannulas, but others which are compatible with a 'luer lock' will allow you to use third-party cannulas. There are some cannulas available that are shorter then 6mm, although I can't remember who makes them now...

Good luck.

bobcurly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
We were at our wits end with mio cannula they failed so often. One bounce in the trampoline and my daughters failed. Switched to sure t and not 1 failure in 18 months. Pain cos you have to change every 2 days but it's a change you know will last for a full 2 days.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If son complains a cannula is sore then it’s probably is and it needs to be changed to new area ASAP

I was horribly lean due to illness and sets in leg fronts were never comfortable and failed more times than worked as I seem to have more blood vessels in legs..

My bum cheeks and area directly on sides were ok. I fact Had always preferred bum cheeks for injections as well as the pump.

If anybody feels pain from a cannula then it’s more than likely going to be a duff one..

Reactions: gemma_T1