Falling a sleep after eating

Lilliepop

What ever I eat I fall asleep almost straight after I feel as if I pass out. It is worst if I eat sugar or high carbs, I'm pre-diabetic but I'm wondering if I have hypoglycaemia. I have my blood sugar taken one a year at the hospital but I still feel it's not normal to keep falling a sleep I feel very headachy when I wake up some times a bit shaky but that's rear. Anyone else have the same problem?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,
I can't say to be fair, but I have read about people with Hypoglycaemia having those symptoms. I have had certain similar symptoms, where I've woke up and haven't a clue why, a couple of times, my glucometer hasn't been able to get a reading, just reading 'lo'.
Have you a food diary and a glucometer?
This would track what is happening to your blood glucose levels.
Wether certain foods cannot be tolerated and exacerbate your symptoms.

Are you on meds or diet only? As meds that intentionally bring down bloods can give you hypos or symptoms of hypos, fluctuations in your blood levels would also raise blood levels.

Do you think you have lowered your carbs enough to offset the symptoms?

If you do have a glucometer, monitor your blood levels, pre meal, after one hour, then two hours, and if possible three hours, that would also give you information of how the food is effecting your levels.

Best wishes

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What ever I eat I fall asleep almost straight after I feel as if I pass out. It is worst if I eat sugar or high carbs, I'm pre-diabetic but I'm wondering if I have hypoglycaemia. I have my blood sugar taken one a year at the hospital but I still feel it's not normal to keep falling a sleep I feel very headachy when I wake up some times a bit shaky but that's rear. Anyone else have the same problem?

High sugars can make you sleepy and weak too @Lilliepop Often, people cite that as something they suffered from before a diabetes diagnosis (falling asleep after meals or feeling sleepy).

Could you buy a blood glucose meter and do a few tests?

And would you like me to move this to the Ask A Question section where you should get more replies?

Reactions: Lamont D

lindisfel

Expert
Did you know that some people have post prandial hypotension. If you have a monitor check your bp and see if its OK. regards Derek

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I always get sleepy after carbs or a large meal. Sweet potatoes I'm out face down in my plate comatose for an hour