Falling off the wagon - help!

MilaMILA

second week on to the low carb diet and I fallen twice off by eating a whole low gi bread 4 days ago and this afternoon hot buns! afraid to measure so I just ignored the situation. also way too busy to cook so I'd have 2 protein bars and one meal a day.
I'm finding it hard to adjust and plan ahead and crave bread like crazy!
any advice appreciated.
anyone has this off days ??

Reactions: Dinet

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
It does take time to adjust and to establish new eating habits so don't beat yourself up. I spent time planning easy to prepare lo carb meals and picked up lots of handy hints and recipes from this forum. I also looked at supermarket ready meals and chose on the basis of carb content. My HbAC1 went from 104 to 36 and has stayed there for the last 3 years. Change is achievable!

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @MilaMILA ..
Sorry that you're having such a rough time, but your experience is shared by many others following diagnosis. But you are in the best place and I'm sure you'll find help and support here ..

Managing and controlling your diabetes through exercise, diet and testing your Blood Glucose seems to be the best way forward. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day, seems to be working .. I have lost a stone and a half since my diagnosis and my BG levels are down from 12.5 to around 6. There is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum .. so ask your questions and be assured that you will receive the answers that you need ..

I see above that you have already been contacted by @ daisy1 and, as others have said, I would suggest that you read up on the Low Carb Program in the valuable information that she has sent you. You might also find the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum helpful .. and the following websites ...
Low Carbs in 60 Seconds
Low Carb 10-week Programme

If you are considering self-testing, try the website at: https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/ for the SD Codefree meter or: http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/ who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free. The costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. I'm testing 3-4 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for the two packages above but, more importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I will be able to manage them
Hope this helps

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Hi @MilaMILA, many of us discovered those little triangular protein rolls from Lidl. I find that even a half roll, - toasted, slathered in butter and topped with creamy scrambled eggs, with bacon on the side, - deals with any bread cravings. The seeds and butter seem to slow down the rate at which the carbs break down for me.
I think though you need to be ON the wagon for as long as you can before being tempted to stray!
I too went from 104 to 37 over my first year and just recently dropped all medication. My life has been in food so I miss many things. But beating diabetes is my top priority.
You can do it!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Low GI is not low carb - the protein rolls are the only bread like thing I can tolerate, so they must be good for most people with diabetes.
Ready prepared salads, meals which are open the fridge and throw together what you fancy are fast to put together and will really bring down the BG levels.
Putting things like hot cross buns in the freezer would help me to resist them - I had to do that with the protein rolls at first, until I got used to being able to have something bready again.