Fasting activity

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
Hi as title says, how active should you be when doing a fast.
My DSN says do very little, but would this therefore not be typical activity. She said just potter about, no work, or shopping things like that, does this sound correct :?:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
This is only what I do-everything as normal, otherwise it doesn't reflect your normal life, so what would be the point of fasting and doing nothing if for example like me you walk the dogs for an hour in morning and afternoons...that would never let me establish a decent level of basal whilst I was doing my normal activities.....

During my fasting I also drink my normal coffees and teas, as this too is a normal activity for me.

I treat my fasting as a normal day without eating for a period of time, making sure that I haven't hypo's or any correction bolus's.

I know this works for me, but will be interested to know how others do it.....i

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Brava210 said:
Hi as title says, how active should you be when doing a fast.
My DSN says do very little, but would this therefore not be typical activity. She said just potter about, no work, or shopping things like that, does this sound correct :?:

It really all depends what the fast is for ???

Certain fasts may require you to refrain from ANY activity which may have an effect on your readings, not just Bg levels. I would follow the DSN's advice as she knows what is required. That is also what I do prior to any fasting blood tests.....as little activity as possible. That could also preclude any form of exercise or even any 'nocturnal' activity..........

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I've done a fasting test we have a quiet day at home just pottering about. This gives us a basal for being relatively inactive. From there we can determine what action different activities require. For example taking a walk might need a temporary reduction in basal rate or a small biscuit as a carb boost before the walk, depending on how long the walk will be for.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I suppose it also depends if you are like me and do walks at set times morning and afternoon every single day it is good for me to fast like this, because it is my routine, and most of my life is pretty routine etc. For example...my husband always brings me a coffee in bed at 7am, and then brings me breakfast in bed at 7.15 am-day in day out......I know routine!!!! But also what a fantastic husband!!!!! So if I go without my breakfast then I just walk the dogs at their normal time, normal walk etc, because this is what I always do.....so if I didn't do my testing this way, I would be permanently having to do TBR's for every dog walk twice a day every day etc....the way I do it, just allows me to set my basals for the way I live, because it is so routine.

Ken, I believe that fasting whilst on a pump is slightly different to that of fasting for blood tests, and MDI, because we have to make sure we haven't had correction bolus's or any hypo's prior to doing any testing, and we have periods of fasting that hospitals like to see. Just that I believe it is slightly different to what non pumpers would believe as fasting....again, I will stand to be corrected on that though!!!

There is good details in John Walsh's book on fasting, but I can't remember all the details off hand...well worth reading though....

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Yes, I appreciate what you have said. However it isn't clear from the OP what the test was for as there could be many reasons besides the one you have stated. So, what the DSN wants should really be what is done I would have thought....... :|

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you have a consistent routine like you do with walking your dogs then I can see the sense in doing it the way you do. Jess' day to day routine varies so much we could never do a fasting test like that. I guess whatever works for your lifestyle is the way to do it.

Your husband sounds wonderful!! :) My hubby brings me coffee in bed every morning at 7am but it doesn't stretch to breakfast, hmmmm perhaps I should show him your post lol

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yep, agreed.

If the fasting is for (as I assumed) for basal rates on a pump, then it can well be different for everybody, depending on their routines etc. As I said originally, it was only what I do and for waht suits me and my life. Certainly with pumps....everybody is absolutely an individual and works for one, doesn't work for others. Like Ken said, it might not even be for this fasting that I assumed it was for!!!

I do think I am so lucky with my husband :D :D , he is so good to me, and sometimes I don't appreciate him enough!!! Your husband will think my husband is crackers!!!! Must confess though it isn't a full blown fry up, just 40g of muesli!!! All the same, I do appreciate it....

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
Thanks for the replies, it is for setting the basal on my pump.
It confuses me when you have to do less activity than normal as this surely is not my usual activity.
Or is it to determine your bodies natural state on tick-over so to speak.
It just means then I have to constantly make temporary basal adjustments for most things i do, which seams odd :(
For instance on weekends when I am less active I have to set a Positve Temp basal

Gary

jopar

Yes in many ways your DSN advice is correct, that fasting tests are done on quiet days avoiding heavy work load/exercise etc... This is so you can achieve your base line of basal, as any exercise/work load needs to be adjust for separately, as this is the bit that can change over a period of time..

You work all your basal settings off this base line profile, it's makes making basal changes for other activities a lot easier...

I take my dogs out every day, but wouldn't do a fasting test around this routine, as it's a routine that could change at short notice, so if I've got my basal primed to this happening at xx time every day, then when the day comes that for what ever reason, xxx time has to be changed it ain't going to be easy at all.. It's easier to set a profile or adjust for walking the dogs, then I'm not struggling when things change..

I would actually go with what your DSN advices