Fasting at night

Dark Horse

Metformin will have some effect if taken without a meal but, to have maximum effect, it should be taken with meals. There is a small risk of hypoglycaemia if taken without eating.

This article discusses the situation where people do not eat the classic 3 meals a day. https://www.pharmaceutical-journal....ls-and-doses/11123225.article?firstPass=false

It says:-

"As a result, metformin is now commonly prescribed in a twice daily dose, taken with the two largest meals of the day and not necessarily with breakfast and the evening meal. This dosing allows higher doses (eg, 1g bd) and more convenience for the patient."

Reactions: JennieRuth

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @Goonergal , looks like @Dark Horse has already answered the question. However I’ll just add that there’s another reason to take Metformin with food, that is you’ll have less risk of stomach upset taking it with food.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I am newly diagnosed for a month and take Metformin 500mg twice a day. I really wants to learn more from all experiences in this forum. I have been told to eat at constant time and constant amount. But I found your IF schedule is different in different days, would it be good for a beginner? I really want to try IF but don't know which way is the best for me.
Keep in mind that IF is usually combined with low carb eating. Just IF doesn't help a fig, if the meals you don't skip are carb-laden. (Practically all carbs turn to glucose once ingested). Mind you, if you do low carb and IF, you might not need metformin anymore before long. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- have a read, maybe it'll help. It's pretty much a quick-start-guide, if Fung's a bit too much to take in in one go.

Reactions: JennieRuth

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FWIW, the chance of hypo with Metformin is reportedly very low. The stomach issue is more of a concern. My personal experience is that metformin is actually more upsetting to my stomach combined with a low-carb meal than on an empty stomach, so I take it in the AM even if I'm not eating until mid afternoon.

I would see what works for you.