Fasting blood sugar - newly Diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes

Nikkynak

Hi, I'm very new to this!I've been diagnosed as having gestational diabetes since last week. I'm trying to get used to eating the right foods to keep by blood sugar in the right area but the thing is, my fasting bs is always high. This m I ring it was 6.6 when I'm told it's meant to be no higher than 5.3. It's been like this every day near on (except one morning it was 2.1 ). Can anybody shed any light on this for me? I don't understand. Will I need medication?

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hello Nikkynak,welcome to the forum,
@daisy1
Will post some info for you that will help you see clearly what we can do to get our bs's undercontrol

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Nikkynak Congratulations on your pregnancy :)

To answer your question, yes some ladies with gestational diabetes need medication, but some don't :)

Are you seeing a 'special team' who are helping you with your blood sugar? The best thing you can do is test lots and see how different foods and meals affect you.

You mention a higher blood sugar in first thing in the morning. This is often caused by what's called a 'liver dump'. Your body 'dumps' some glucose in your blood so that you're ready for the day. Speak to your diabetes nurse and/or dietician about this. They may suggest things like having a small snack before bed or eating as soon as you wake up.

Reactions: 2 people