Fasting sugar level

Pauldarran

Hi all
I'm very new to all this. Last week I had a blood test & my sugar after fasting was 9.1. In two weeks in going for another blood test to comfirm I am diabetic.
I have a tester so I have been checking my self in the day. In the day before a meal in around 5.9 to 64. After a meal 6.9 to 7.5 . But every time I wake up in the morning my sugar levels are 8.7 to 9.5.
I'm confused because I go to bed with a decent level & wake up higher!
Could someone explain to me this reason please.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome to the forum @Pauldarran :)

What your experiencing is common it's called the Dawn Phenomenon or feet on the floor liver dump, it's the body's way of getting you going in the morning by your liver giving you a release of glucose. Have a good look round the forum, there's lots of good advice/support to be found here and many subjects on this.

Pauldarran

Hi
Thank you for your reply.
That now makes sense, All day my sugar stays within decent levels & it's only my morning test that's disappointing. Once I've been up and about for a couple of hours my sugar goes down to 6 under 7 again and stays that way all day. I am not on medication yet so after my next blood test I can speak about this with my GP
Again thanks for your reply & I'll look up the advice of

Paul

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Thank you for your reply.
That now makes sense, All day my sugar stays within decent levels & it's only my morning test that's disappointing. Once I've been up and about for a couple of hours my sugar goes down to 6 under 7 again and stays that way all day. I am not on medication yet so after my next blood test I can speak about this with my GP
Again thanks for your reply & I'll look up the advice of

Paul
How long after a meal do you test? Just checking whether it's 2 hours after the first bite.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190817-191706_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20190817-191706_Drive.jpg
    962.1 KB · Views: 135