Fat Fast Starting Monday 3rd August

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Ver
I think he means Conservative in a rounded sense as opposed to excessive in a grounded sense but didn't want to Labour the point too much.

We could put it out to vote though if you like?

Very witty, well said.

Reactions: 2 people

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, @AloeSvea, Jeff Volek and Stephen Phinney have written a book ,called The Art and Science of Low Carb Living, which I heartily recommend.
The Fat Fast is, I think, the therapeutic part, as it can get you into ketosis quickly, in 3- 5days, but the ketogenic low carb way of eating(WOE) in which the body uses its own fat stores for energy, has no time limit and can become quite normal, only requiring tweaking from time to time to slow, stop, or continue weight loss as required.
The principle behind the Fat burning is that while the body is using carbohydrates for fuel, it does not burn fat. The ketosis allows fat to be used as the main source of fuel, as the body can make the small amounts of glucose needed for some functions, through the liver.

Thank you for recommending that book - it has just answered a concern I had.

Good luck to those commencing their new journey.

Reactions: 4 people

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
I know that being in ketosis will preserve muscle mass a bit, while I am limited as to exercise. My fear, concern, slight niggling thought is that, teetering on the edge of ketosis, it would take very little to come out of it, and then no longer be burning fat, as carbohydrates would then be the main fuel source, with concomitant weight gain, in all likelihood.
Weight loss is not important for me, but weight gain... I never want that to happen. Been there.
Also, I like not to feel hungry, as I often felt on the "normal" Healthy Eating Plan, and now I find that a ketogenic diet may also be protective against neurodegenerative disease. Bonus, and Whoopee, or equivalent!
And for those reasons I will try to keep my ketone readings at 2.0 or thereabouts.

It was interesting to find that the "pecan sandwiches" which I have been eating for years, are now known as Fat Bombs! The fact that I ate them alongside plenty of carbohydrates including grains and legumes, probably explains a lot about my former life.

Hi @Merrylizard1314. Would you mind sharing your pecan sandwich recipe. I'm looking for a satisfying snack in between meals to stabilise BG. I've never been a snacked, but I'm having to get used to it because my liver prefers me to. I like pecan nuts, so these sandwiches of yours could be the perfect pick-me-up. X

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Baruney @Merrylizard1314 @nomistheman

Thanks for starting this thread. August 3rd isn't a good day for me to start. I hope you don't mind. I've started already. I'm using ketostix. My reading is generally around 4. Is that OK? It was 0 for about 24 hours. My aim is to lose weight as I have been stuck at or near this weight for over 6 months.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Thanks for starting this thread. August 3rd isn't a good day for me to start. I hope you don't mind. I've started already. I'm using ketostix. My reading is generally around 4. Is that OK? It was 0 for about 24 hours. My aim is to lose weight as I have been stuck at or near this weight for over 6 months.
Best wishes @zand, hope you achieve your targets!

Merrylizard1314

Hi @Merrylizard1314. Would you mind sharing your pecan sandwich recipe. I'm looking for a satisfying snack in between meals to stabilise BG. I've never been a snacked, but I'm having to get used to it because my liver prefers me to. I like pecan nuts, so these sandwiches of yours could be the perfect pick-me-up. X

This is so funny, AJ10, because all you have to do, is scrape about a teaspoon of butter and apply this to 4 pecan nuts. Stick 4 more nuts on top and Voila! Pecan sandwiches!
I hardly ever eat more than two, at a time now, but it is nice to think the other two are there in case of emergencies.
Also, you can use the principle to ring the changes, using cream cheese, sliced Babybel, Brie, etc.
What I like about pecan sandwiches is the short preparation time, so one doesn't have to be in a food preparation area for very long,

Hope you like them

Merrylizard1314

@zand, remember to drink plenty of water while Fat Fasting, it is really important.
I don't know about ketostix, as I've never used them, so someone else may have more clues about the correlation with ketone test strips. My understanding is that the ketostix numbers go down, but as I say...........

Good luck!

Reactions: 3 people

Merrylizard1314

I think he means Conservative in a rounded sense as opposed to excessive in a grounded sense but didn't want to Labour the point too much.

We could put it out to vote though if you like?

The diet dr is great, He is obviously not immune to eating rubbish, from time to time. Biscuits? Pasta- 3 helpings??
I imagine that if I was 6ft 7, a handful of nuts might be a liberal quantity.
Possibly about 55-60g.
But what a good recovery. It gives much hope.

@Baruney, I applaud your decision not to make the sweet Fat Bombs. Those artificial sweeteners seem to lower ketosis while engendering hunger.
See the Pepsi Max experiment.

Bulletproof coffee, I agree. And also sorrel soup, for me, (with some of nom's MCT oil,) eggs, cheese and macadamias. And fresh sardines on Tuesday.
Are we allowed cocoa, if we put butter and coconut oil in it?

On Friday, 7th are you coming to my Cast-off Party? Ahoy, me hearties, virtually, all are invited. Be prepared to shake a leg!

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hola @zand

Good for you and good luck. Let us know how you get on. Are you usually around 4 for a long period of time as ketostix are measuring a slightly different ketones and loose their effectiveness over time. If however you've gone from 0 to 4 recently then your getting in the zone.

Another indication that your body is switching from petrol to diesel is that your breath will honk. So if someone says your breath stinks. Punch the air Andy Murray style and say 'yessss'. I find a general thank you suffices.

BE CAREFUL going too purple as it could be an indication of dehydration rather than ketosis.

Enjoy.

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is so funny, AJ10, because all you have to do, is scrape about a teaspoon of butter and apply this to 4 pecan nuts. Stick 4 more nuts on top and Voila! Pecan sandwiches!
I hardly ever eat more than two, at a time now, but it is nice to think the other two are there in case of emergencies.
Also, you can use the principle to ring the changes, using cream cheese, sliced Babybel, Brie, etc.
What I like about pecan sandwiches is the short preparation time, so one doesn't have to be in a food preparation area for very long,

Hope you like them
Can you let me know how to make a peanut butter sandwich?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I've gone from 0 to 4 this week. I haven't used ketostix before. Yes I have defo got smelly breath lol. Thanks for the reminder about water too. :)

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The diet dr is great, He is obviously not immune to eating rubbish, from time to time. Biscuits? Pasta- 3 helpings??
I imagine that if I was 6ft 7, a handful of nuts might be a liberal quantity.
Possibly about 55-60g.
But what a good recovery. It gives much hope.

@Baruney, I applaud your decision not to make the sweet Fat Bombs. Those artificial sweeteners seem to lower ketosis while engendering hunger.
See the Pepsi Max experiment.

Bulletproof coffee, I agree. And also sorrel soup, for me, (with some of nom's MCT oil,) eggs, cheese and macadamias. And fresh sardines on Tuesday.
Are we allowed cocoa, if we put butter and coconut oil in it?

On Friday, 7th are you coming to my Cast-off Party? Ahoy, me hearties, virtually, all are invited. Be prepared to shake a leg!
More of an anchovies man myself but yes cocoa is a go goer.

Cheers will be there.

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I've gone from 0 to 4 this week. I haven't used ketostix before. Yes I have defo got smelly breath lol. Thanks for the reminder about water too. :)
Good stuff - water and salt. Throw the traditional advice out if the windows for now. Bovril cubes, broth, Swiss veg bullion, bit of extra salt on the salad doesn't hurt either

Merrylizard1314

Good stuff - water and salt. Throw the traditional advice out if the windows for now. Bovril cubes, broth, Swiss veg bullion, bit of extra salt on the salad doesn't hurt either

But surely you wouldn't want to go overboard ( see what I did there) with the salt, given that the sodium/potassium balance is so important? OK to use bouillon cubes, and bone broth as you suggest, but I wouldn't be sprinkling extra - just add an anchovy. Or eat some celery!
A lemon squeezed into a glass of water, with a salt spoon of Himalayan salt would also work, I had that on the last FF.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!

Hope you like them

Sounds lovely...perfect for me & my lack of culinary skills. Thank you @Merrylizard1314. X

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Merrylizard1314

Can you let me know how to make a peanut butter sandwich?

Just for you, our racket ball man,

Peanut butter Smash

Melt some dark chocolate. Line a small container with baking paper: pour about half the melted chocolate onto the paper. Put this into the fridge while you find the peanut butter and some mixed nuts.
Put two tablespoons of peanut butter onto the now cold chocolate in the container and spread it about a bit.
Put the mixed nuts - or macadamias, into a plastic bag and bash them into smithereens with a rolling pin, then spread these onto the peanut butter.
The remaining melted chocolate can then be poured over the smashed nuts to disguise the damage.
Now, if you can leave well alone in the refrigerator for an hour or so, you will have a peanut butter sandwich worthy of the name,
This is cut up into pieces for distribution among some young gentlemen of my acquaintance, whose approval I value and who never refuse an opportunity to take part in the manufacturing process.

Reactions: 8 people

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But surely you wouldn't want to go overboard ( see what I did there) with the salt, given that the sodium/potassium balance is so important? OK to use bouillon cubes, and bone broth as you suggest, but I wouldn't be sprinkling extra - just add an anchovy. Or eat some celery!
A lemon squeezed into a glass of water, with a salt spoon of Himalayan salt would also work, I had that on the last FF.
I did see what you did there but I didn't want to put the wind up anyone's sails. I am very liberal with the salts and if exercising will use an eloctrolyte called high 5 zero and home made magnesium oil to avoid cramping. What's good for me might not be good for everyone though. BP and all that malarkey Ok.

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just for you, our racket ball man,

Peanut butter Smash

Melt some dark chocolate. Line a small container with baking paper: pour about half the melted chocolate onto the paper. Put this into the fridge while you find the peanut butter and some mixed nuts.
Put two tablespoons of peanut butter onto the now cold chocolate in the container and spread it about a bit.
Put the mixed nuts - or macadamias, into a plastic bag and bash them into smithereens with a rolling pin, then spread these onto the peanut butter.
The remaining melted chocolate can then be poured over the smashed nuts to disguise the damage.
Now, if you can leave well alone in the refrigerator for an hour or so, you will have a peanut butter sandwich worthy of the name,
This is cut up into pieces for distribution among some young gentlemen of my acquaintance, whose approval I value and who never refuse an opportunity to take part in the manufacturing process.
Sounds good and I know a few willing volunteers too. One for after the fat fast though I think as we're only doing 1k cals a day.

BTW if a small packet of Mac nuts from tesco is 400 calories but is 4 miles away. So 8 miles roundtrip. Say expending 800 cals on a run. Are these free cals or even -400 or does that count towards the 1 cals?

Merrylizard1314

Sounds good and I know a few willing volunteers too. One for after the fat fast though I think as we're only doing 1k cals a day.

BTW if a small packet of Mac nuts from tesco is 400 calories but is 4 miles away. So 8 miles roundtrip. Say expending 800 cals on a run. Are these free cals or even -400 or does that count towards the 1 cals?

Or for the party?

The question you pose, sounds exactly like those narrative maths questions about cisterns being emptied while simultaneously being filled at a different rate. Or perhaps more like the distance/speed /time problems I used to be so good at.
Are you drinking any water on the journey? Perhaps we could combine the cistern and energy formulae? Suppose you run all the way there for the nuts only to find the shop closed. How do we factor in the rise in body temperature, the fall in Serotonin, the surge in cortisol?

I never include my exercise in my calculations, as energy expenditure seems to be all about breathing, and who knows how much breath weighs these days?
( That is not a challenge, BTW)