Fat to eat it or not

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
weirdly since diagnosis I eat less butter and use less olive oil and my cholesterol has increased. I do eat a lot more cream though. I rarely bought it before and we get through 3 cartons a week now.

The reason being I love(d) bread and would have toast and butter for breakfast. Bread and butter with ham and cheese for lunch and we often had bread and olives with balsamic and olive oil. When I say bread I mean bloomers and the artisan type loaves not that white sliced stuff.

Since a fortnight before diagnosis (i guessed) I have not eaten any bread but the lidl rolls - I had one corner of a piece a couple of months ago and did not like the taste. Now breakfast is 2 egg omelette, lunch usually soup or sardine salad and dinner meat dish, 2+veg plus another veg done in a sauce/butter or cheese.

I wondered about the silence surrounding saturated fats too. In so far as I can see all the old stuff about the evils of saturated is still doing the rounds (webmd et al). However dad was in the food industry and witnessed the manufacturing process behind margarine and ice cream so we have never eaten it.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
How much fat is to much and how would people know if they were having to much.
Pinch testing to determine the extent of subcutaneous lining and abdominal measurement. Blood testing can also determine excessive lipoids and triglicerides.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How much fat is to much and how would people know if they were having to much.

Physiologically, if you eat too much fat, your motions change to become much softer, often a much lighter, almost khaki colour and they smell sour and rancid.

Sorry, but you did ask.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Physiologically, if you eat too much fat, your motions change to become much softer, often a much lighter, almost khaki colour and they smell sour and rancid.

Sorry, but you did ask.

Thanks for that. Have you any links about this?

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I have always considered myself to be a bit ghastly.........
I adore chicken skin belly pork and am at my happiest chewing on a lamb bone after carving but I have always done this.
One Christmas I ate all the streaky bacon after the turkey was cooked and it was gorgeous.
As my results across the board have always been within parameters I haven't really given it much thought.
I ignored the eggs are bad thing from yesteryear.
When I go all inclusive I have bacon and 2 eggs as I only like the yolk then go back and have bacon and another 2 eggs.
This is all good and always has been for me but I know because of my wife and son its not everyones cup of tea!

Tony

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
weirdly since diagnosis I eat less butter and use less olive oil and my cholesterol has increased. I do eat a lot more cream though. I rarely bought it before and we get through 3 cartons a week now.

The reason being I love(d) bread and would have toast and butter for breakfast. Bread and butter with ham and cheese for lunch and we often had bread and olives with balsamic and olive oil. When I say bread I mean bloomers and the artisan type loaves not that white sliced stuff.

Since a fortnight before diagnosis (i guessed) I have not eaten any bread but the lidl rolls - I had one corner of a piece a couple of months ago and did not like the taste. Now breakfast is 2 egg omelette, lunch usually soup or sardine salad and dinner meat dish, 2+veg plus another veg done in a sauce/butter or cheese.

I wondered about the silence surrounding saturated fats too. In so far as I can see all the old stuff about the evils of saturated is still doing the rounds (webmd et al). However dad was in the food industry and witnessed the manufacturing process behind margarine and ice cream so we have never eaten it.

Was saying what they make margarine or spread from on TV last night and the nutritionist said it is perfectly good for you and made from plant oils mainly rape seed and none contain trans fats any more

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I still would not touch it with a barge pole, why have fake butter when you can have the real thing..

Reactions: Bluetit1802

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi, normally have three fried eggs lightly done in extra virgin olive oil. Quite a lot of olive oil that is and I soak the surplus up with flaked almonds. At lunch I snack on walnuts, some low salt cheese and usually have a few blueberries in full fat yogurt. I add a little coconut fat to my walnuts. Evening I have low salt butter with green veg and protein etc. I am at target weight and at a bmi of 22 I am slim enough already. I am not suggesting any of you should eat low salt foods but I have to. Fat is my friend else I would waste away. We are all different. D.

Why are you low salt everything? There is also (said to be) a problem with people having lo salt..

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

olive oil lowers cholesterol

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170213171419.htm

bread is not good try LIDLs protein rolls instead there is much less carbs in them...

and change from fruits to berries that are also much better for diabetics..

I sometimes have too low salt... so I don´t listen when people say I should low salt

there is lots of healthy fats one can eat that do not raie cholesterol

like macadamia nuts and brazil nuts (the last in moderation because of selenium

Last edited:
S

serenity648

olive oil lowers cholesterol

bread is not good try LIDLs protein rolls instead there is much less carbs in them...

and change from fruits to berries that are also much better for diabetics..

I sometimes have too low salt... so I don´t listen when people say I should low salt

there is lots of healthy fats one can eat that do not raie cholesterol

like macadamia nuts and brazil nuts (the last in moderation because of selenium

Olive oil only lowers cholesterol - apparently - if it is a substitute for processed fats, spreads and oil. Of itself, it doesnt lower anything. I am interested in a link to where you got that idea from. Quite aside from whether low cholesterol is a good idea or not.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that. Have you any links about this?

I haven't anything to hand, Bluetit, but I did the research for myself when I appear to have breached my own fat threshold. The medics agreed that's likely what had caused the issue I was experiencing. (Trying not to be too gross here!)

It's effectively a malabsorption issue; usually by taking in more that the individual can cope with.

If anyone is experiencing this situation, I would advise having themselves checked out because changes in the old toilet habits shouldn't be ignores, as they can be an early warning sign of something quite nasty.

hamrag

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes its Fat all the way, Lost 3 stone, Bloods under control, and feel fitter than I have for 20 years.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Olive oil only lowers cholesterol - apparently - if it is a substitute for processed fats, spreads and oil. Of itself, it doesnt lower anything. I am interested in a link to where you got that idea from. Quite aside from whether low cholesterol is a good idea or not.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170213171419.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...xpert-answers/food-and-nutrition/faq-20058439

http://www.livescience.com/37998-olive-oil-health-benefits.html

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Was saying what they make margarine or spread from on TV last night and the nutritionist said it is perfectly good for you and made from plant oils mainly rape seed and none contain trans fats any more
Oh dear. My dad has been retired over 30 years and what he witnessed would have been 50-70 years ago so I would not be surprised the recipes have undergone certain adjustments. As kids we would argue about not having ice cream but never margarine. As a result I have no idea what happened to margarine but he was quite graphic about why a certain company went into the ice cream market. Thinking about it now is reminding me about instant potato, pot noodles, vesta and my mother in law telling me what to feed my future hubby. He had chicken on a sunday, on Monday x, Tuesday Y but on a Tuesday They did NOT have dream topping. Oh my.
I think nowadays there are discussions about the safety of rape seed oil but my guess is that would be safer than whatever went into it in the 50's

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
and who paid the nutritionist?

Reactions: Mark_1

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
The third one is interesting. This seems to indicate that there is certainly no health benefit if the olive oil is more than 12 months old. Would this apply to olives as well? What is the best guess as to the time it takes for the oil or a jar of olives to move from harvest to the supermarket shelf. 1 month, 6, 12?

That is assuming there is any benefit at all as the first article indicates only the control group on reduced red meat, dairy, processed and sweets showed an improvement (assuming we accept the disputed "official" wisdom that low is good) in overall cholesterol. All that happened is consuming olive oil was indicated in improving HDL function. The second article argued for replacing saturated fat with olive oil. The Zoe Harcombe video posted by @bulkbiker seems imho to be more persuasive and that disputes the whole idea of low cholesterol being healthy.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The third one is interesting. This seems to indicate that there is certainly no health benefit if the olive oil is more than 12 months old. Would this apply to olives as well? What is the best guess as to the time it takes for the oil or a jar of olives to move from harvest to the supermarket shelf. 1 month, 6, 12?

That is assuming there is any benefit at all as the first article indicates only the control group on reduced red meat, dairy, processed and sweets showed an improvement (assuming we accept the disputed "official" wisdom that low is good) in overall cholesterol. All that happened is consuming olive oil was indicated in improving HDL function. The second article argued for replacing saturated fat with olive oil. The Zoe Harcombe video posted by @bulkbiker seems imho to be more persuasive and that disputes the whole idea of low cholesterol being healthy.

probably ... fad get bad when being oxidated maybe also when getting older no food is good forever...

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me personally it's Low Carb HighER Fat, and it's simply that because it's normal full fat rather than reduced/low fat alternatives. (I tried low fat yoghurt once and it tasted like I imagined watered down chalk to be! The only low fat I've ever regularly had was in semi skimmed milk - but I was never a great milk lover. I've always eaten full fat perhaps not as much as currently -but it was an integral part of my previous diet too, as it was most people's before the 1970s.

I think much of the fat I eat comes with the protein I'm eating on a good, varied LCHF diet anyway - I don't need to go round looking for extra fat to scoff. I try to get it from as many different sources as possible - fattier meats and cuts of poultry, oily fish, dairy (butter, cream, cheese, yoghurt), eggs, coconut oil, milk & butter, olives & olive oil, avocados, nuts & seeds and their flours, oils & butters, some cocoa & high % cocoa dark chocolate...

My body definitely prefers burning fats: I'm no longer brain fogged, I get virtually no migraines and no hayfever now, my weight's been more or less static for over three years (I lost a lot initially but I'm still overweight) and my glucose levels are at pre-diabetic levels and stable. So I don't see any need ever to change my current diet.

And for @Pinkorchid, I'm generally aware if I'm occasionally eating a bit extra/too much fat, and my bowel movements will confirm this for me, as while not anything as yucky as @DCUKmod has described, they will tend to be a little more "well lubricated"...:yuck: And if I'm not eating enough, then I'll tend to be hungry after meals.

Robbity