Fats and Insulin Resistance

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is really interesting. I have, since the beginning of April, started eating whatever fat comes with my protein. So Ribeye steak, shoulder of lamb and pork, cheese, eggs, chicken and oily fish but drastically cutting down on the double cream to only 20ml a day.

Have kept to my normal 20g and under carbs a day, but have upped the protein using whey and casein protein.

Since I started low carb I have suspected that having rather high amounts of double cream is a problem for me. Over various lockdowns my cream consumption increased and as I have now discovered - so has my waist circumference and that was even though I never went above 20g carbs.
some of us cant eat indiscriminate amounts of fats even when low carbing.

Reactions: Krystyna23040

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
some of us cant eat indiscriminate amounts of fats even when low carbing.

The point being made is not eating indiscriminate amounts of fat but the fat that comes with the protein.

Many would say that adding extra fat can be problematic but eating single ingredient foods and avoiding carbs is what helps the most.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krystyna23040

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The point being made is not eating discriminate amounts of fat but the fat that comes with the protein.

Many would say that adding extra fat can be problematic but eating single ingredient foods and avoiding carbs is what helps the most.
we are all different. My point is valid.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fats do not raise blood glucose levels, they may temporarily affect lipid values. Healthy fats include the fat in meat and dairy plus fruit oils such as olive oil and coconut oil. Healthy fats are calorie dense but are more satisfying so a lower quantity goes far further in keeping hunger at bay. Protein is also very satiating and is the lowest in calorific value. Carbohydrates give a short, sharp burst of energy but the human body cannot store carbs as they are, they are stored as fat especially around the waistline. Because carbs are so readily digested and metabolised we get hungrier much sooner. Carbs are turned into glucose almost as soon as eaten and it is carbs that raise blood glucose levels.

This is an area that increasingly interests me and I'd love to look deeper in to it. Whilst it is true that dietary fat doesn't directly raise blood sugars a number of studies (not just recent) suggest fat may indirectly impact blood sugars with an acute insulin resistance effect or rather a blunting of the the bodies response to insulin at an acute level. I don't think the mechanisms have been fully elucidated, but off the top of my head the thinking is a possible "Randall" type effect, and or reduced GLUT 4 translocation, FFA interference with suppression of endogenous glucose production. Obviously dietary sugar will have a more profound effect on blood sugars however it is certainly food for thought in the very least for those shaping their diets to optimise it in order to manage BM's. I wonder if anyone else here has looked at this area or found increasing dietary fat impacted glycaemia?

On a second point. A recent study suggests that a new 5:2 style approach to the Newcastle diet may yield comparable results to the intensive 800 kcal per day diet for 8 weeks (with a step wise reintroduction of foods for another 4 weeks to achieve a portion controlled Mediterranean diet). Instead, the 800kcals was consumed for 2 days and a portion controlled Mediterranean style diet was consumed for the other 5 days - this was done for 6 months. This was then reduced to 1 x 800kcal day if weight maintenance was now the goal. Weight loss and Hba1C <48 was similar in both groups after 12 months (I believe at least 42% (possibly 49%) of the 79 participants achieved this clinical 'remission'). Interventions were done remotely too which is apt in these COVID days. I'm not sure if the study has been released yet, and obviously conclusions cannot be made from 1 study, but whilst weight loss was faster in the 12 week continuous leg by the end results were similar so it is encouraging.

Note from moderator: This thread has been created by moving several posts originally posted on this thread, as they were not relevant to that thread. The text in bold italics at the start is a quote from a post on that thread, which started this conversation.
Here is a recent study that investigates if there is any genetic association to IR for T2D

https://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/51/suppl_1/S117

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here is a recent study that investigates if there is any genetic association to IR for T2D

https://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/51/suppl_1/S117
A very interesting study, thanks for posting it. I need to read it more carefully but for others this extract from the conclusion should provide the gist.
This genetic predisposition ultimately limits the ability to compensate for insulin resistance. Some individuals who remain lean and fit may never develop diabetes or may do so at a very old age because of progressive deterioration in β-cell function. In others who become insulin resistant because of weight gain, physical inactivity, high-fat diets, medications, etc., and are at risk of developing type 2 diabetes, age of onset and severity of diabetes will be determined by the balance between the ability of the β-cell to compensate and the degree of insulin resistance.
(No doubt some will take issue with the mention of a high fat diet).

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting, I have noticed that references in studies to high fat diets often, when looking at the studies themselves, involves carbs and fats together, mainly seed oils as the fats. So really the high fat referred to is high carbs and fat.