Type 2 Fatty Liver disease and LCHF/Keto

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I've searched the forum for any posts about this. I found out recently I have fatty liver disease in an ultrasound..I was wondering how good it is to have such a high fat content LCHF/Keto with fatty liver disease.This is the article I found (sorry about the" Fad diets " title because I know a lot of people here are on LCHF/ keto but it's all I could find on this after some searching).I'm quite confused because I would like to go on the LCHF/keto and intermittent fasting but the article suggests a similar diet to Paleo or Mediterranean diet which means lean meats( no bacon) and fruits? Thinking I'm doing something beneficial for my health and then finding out it's made something worse?I will also ask my doctor.Thanks

https://news.usc.edu/159295/fad-diets-keto-nonalcoholic-fatty-liver-disease/

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I've searched the forum for any posts about this. I found out recently I have fatty liver disease in an ultrasound..I was wondering how good it is to have such a high fat content LCHF/Keto with fatty liver disease.This is the article I found (sorry about the" Fad diets " title because I know a lot of people here are on LCHF/ keto but it's all I could find on this after some searching).I'm quite confused because I would like to go on the LCHF/keto and intermittent fasting but the article suggests a similar diet to Paleo or Mediterranean diet which means lean meats( no bacon) and fruits? Thinking I'm doing something beneficial for my health and then finding out it's made something worse?I will also ask my doctor.Thanks

https://news.usc.edu/159295/fad-diets-keto-nonalcoholic-fatty-liver-disease/

T2 and NAFLD often go hand in hand possibly because they have the same root cause.

An excess of carbohydrate in the diet that leads to fat storage around the liver and pancreas.

A keto/LCHF diet will put both nicely into remission especially when combined with a bit of intermittent fasting.

Many of us are living proof of that.

Reactions: Robbity and SMS1

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I were you I would follow LCHF and cut out processed foods, diet drinks and fructose as much as possible (berries are the best fruit to have, in moderation). I so wish that bodily fat and dietary fat had different names, it's very misleading.

Reactions: SMS1

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,
I have lived with NAFL for nearly twenty years, my liver function tests have been up and down every time I get a full blood panel tests.
I am on a Keto diet, not for the fatty liver but for my condition, because I'm carb intolerant. Carbs may be the cause, but there are other reasons.

When I was diagnosed, one of the key factors of going on a Keto diet is weight loss, in Keto along with good exercise, the amount of visceral fat will be used for energy as what is called fat adapted. As you lose the visceral fat, the liver will lose fat as well!

As for liver function, if you drink somewhere around two litres of water a day, this has an effect on your liver, it helps keep the liver flush out more.

Keep safe

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It's carbs in general that cause body fat and not fat itself so the LCHF/Keto approach is good even though it contains fat. As @zand says it's important to not assume that the fat you eat goes straight to the liver, pancreas etc as fat - it doesn't

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I have lived with NAFL for nearly twenty years, my liver function tests have been up and down every time I get a full blood panel tests.
I am on a Keto diet, not for the fatty liver but for my condition, because I'm carb intolerant. Carbs may be the cause, but there are other reasons.

When I was diagnosed, one of the key factors of going on a Keto diet is weight loss, in Keto along with good exercise, the amount of visceral fat will be used for energy as what is called fat adapted. As you lose the visceral fat, the liver will lose fat as well!

As for liver function, if you drink somewhere around two litres of water a day, this has an effect on your liver, it helps keep the liver flush out more.

Keep safe
Thanks, I just was wondering and then read that article. It helps me to start the keto and intermittent journey

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Liver fat is manufactured from glucose and fructose.

@ Jim Lahey is that 2 liters of water only or just fluids? I’m drinking a lot of electrolytes since I started forixga.

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, I'm not following your question.
Hi,

Keep safe
It's in reference to what you wrote above:is that just fluids as in water or are electrolytes okay?Thanks

M

Member496333

It's in reference to what you wrote above:is that just fluids as in water or are electrolytes okay?Thanks

Still not following. I was referring to liver fat being made from dietary glucose and, more so, fructose. Nothing to do with fluids or electrolytes.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Water, being hydrated is part of helping your liver keep flushing the system through.

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Still not following. I was referring to liver fat being made from dietary glucose and, more so, fructose. Nothing to do with fluids or electrolytes.
That's okay,I probably mis-read what you wrote.I'll stick with the water for flushing the liver as you said.

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry veering a bit off subject here..... I think I'm going to up my sodium intake and add more protein because I read here in the forums that taking Forixga (SGLTP2) and an alogliptin(sp?) Vipidia as well as having fatty liver that the the LCHF has to be adapted. I'm a bit concerned about the article on dapalgloflozin SGLTP2's aka Forixga written on dietdoctor though.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/with-diabetes-medications#metformin

From that article: "It is therefore advised to stop SGLT2 inhibitors before starting a strict low carb diet, and this should be discussed with your doctor."
I probably won't be lowering my carbs that much.

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For anyone interested;lists on how to see what affects your liver.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK547852/
LiverTox is produced by the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) and is copyright free. It is requested that use of LiverTox data in publications be given appropriate acknowledgment.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For anyone interested;lists on how to see what affects your liver.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK547852/
LiverTox is produced by the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) and is copyright free. It is requested that use of LiverTox data in publications be given appropriate acknowledgment.
Seems to be mostly about drugs and liver disease rather than dietary causes..
I can't see any mention of fructose for example.

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seems to be mostly about drugs and liver disease rather than dietary causes..
I can't see any mention of fructose for example.

Yes true, just references to see which supplements or meds can affect the liver.