Fatty Liver

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My blood results were excellent but due to disappointment at not losing weight I became disheartened. I wanted weight loss more than anything.

I can really understand that, so happy I did Loose the first 39 Pounds but is was not high fat, it was rather low carb rather low fats and higher proteins and very few calories....

Reactions: Osidge

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I was told many years ago now that I had a fatty liver but there was nothing to do about it. Usual guff from doctors! I finally discovered that I could have done something about it a few months back but now I'm told I have cirrhosis and am not at present being given much encouragement about improvement. I have never been a drinker of alcohol and may well have been undiagnosed diabetic since I had my last son 47 years ago. finally diagnosed about 10 years ago. These issues are just 2 undiagnosed problems over the years which are currently and finally being investigated. Where do all these medical professionals get their skills from?
Do you believe it is ir-reversable?

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
Ooh, tell me about the desi Dahl yoghurt?
The kefir is great, my husband and sister love it too. I tried kombucha but it made me throw up :)eek:) too cleansing for words!
Even on LCHF I can't really get much thinner, and frankly, at my age I only care about how healthy I am, and how energetic.
Since me and my doctor almost never meet, except in the supermarket, there is no way I will ever know whether I have this NAFLD. That's probably one of those things I would rather not know.

lindisfel

Expert
Lovely for you. Glad you have lucked out on your diet. You also aren't female, haven't given birth to several chidren and had hormone changes for the same, been nuked, are not my age, and may or may not have my genetic history or allergies or, etc.

I also wonder at your funny bone, given the post to which you responded.
One can be nuked and male you know!

lindisfel

Expert
Any ideas which probiotics improve NAFLD please? Thanks Derek
Hi, I see Dr. Kirpich has also tried diets for diabetics and obesity involving 40%carb and the rest protein and unsaturated (in the main) fats. It is not surprising they lost weight since the bda and the American dietetic association recommend a barmy 60% carbs! Her patients would have lost more if she had tried a really low carb high good fats diet which many of us have test proved already. BTW Does anyone know which probitics improve the gut biome or whatever it's called? thanks regards D.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Vicky,

Know how you feel especially because there are some folks on this forum who seem to magically melt off pounds on the LCHF diet. The minority of this group is women type 2s who have struggled with diabetes a while, have to think about little details like how their diet might adversely affect an unborn or nursing child and suchlike. In fact, most of the dude willing to do the intermittent fasting are barely prediabetics who are also able to keep up a hefty exercise program, have few to no other contributing co-morbidities. Not that the diet doesn't help. It just takes a while longer for some of the rest of us.

Been struggling through bad advice du jour since year 2000.
What's ironic I got rid of my fatty liver on lchf!
New year I'm starting lcmf for me.

Reactions: Struma

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi nocarbs, I asked both questions because I have an open mind and hoped an answer would be forthcoming. If I could find out which probiotics were recommended I would try them for a month or two with milk thistle because getting down to a bmi of 22 has not cured my high GGT. I read up on the doctor who did this study and she was still testing patients with relatively high carb low fat diets.
regards Derek
Raised GGT concentrations indicate that something is going on with your liver but not specifically what. In general, the higher the result the greater the damage to your liver. Elevated concentrations may be due to liver disease, but they may also be due to congestive heart failure, drinking alcohol, and use of many prescription and non-prescription drugs including nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), lipid-lowering drugs, antibiotics, histamine blockers (used to treat excess stomach acid production), antifungal agents, anticonvulsants (seizure control medications), antidepressants, and hormones such as testosterone.

I omitted the ones related to pregnancy, which I assume are irrelevant here. However statins may be a culprit, or aspirins or ibuprofen etc, My PPI and heart meds have this as a possible side effect (jaundice)

Mot sure if probiotics reduce NAFLD, but there are some things advertised on TV that claim to bind fat for weight loss, but have seen no reports on how succesful they may be. Metformin probably works as well in this respect. As NoCarbs said, it seems that the easiest way to burn off this adipose fat is via a ketogenic diet since this is the way to get the fat moving out of the liver once stored.

Rigorous exercise is another way, but not everybody is up for that. I don't think there is a magic bullet since the body hangs on to adipose tissue and is reluctant to give it up except in an emergency such as starvation. Ketosis is a way of trickung the body to think this is happening. Probiotics IMHO simply ease metabolism and food transit so more carbs can be pumped into the luver, which not such a good thing.

S

serenity648

You know the blood tests they do annually to check kidney and liver function etc? would they show if there was a problem of fatty liver?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
@serenity648

Fatty Liver disease indicators.JPG

Here's a link to the video:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
You know the blood tests they do annually to check kidney and liver function etc? would they show if there was a problem of fatty liver?
If very high enzymes from annual testing of liver you may be invited for a liver scan which can confirm just fatty liver. Mine were something like 280 and I lowered it to just 28 on lchf.

lindisfel

Expert
At 73 my GGT was where it had been for years @ 35. When I was diagnosed T2D I eventually lost 3.5 stone and in the process my GGT went up to 140+. It was in the mid 70s a month ago. I don't drink but have been on the two vitamin k antagonists warfarin and atorvastatin, which I no longer take. Incidentally if you take these drugs they cause arterial calcification. I now take a different anticoagulant but all meds seem to damage the liver. Perhaps some liver healing substances like milk thistle may help. With a bmi of c.22 I have lot less body fat than most. I am very low carb and cut out practically all fruit with exception of avocado . regards Derek

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
At 73 my GGT was where it had been for years @ 35. When I was diagnosed T2D I eventually lost 3.5 stone and in the process my GGT went up to 140+. It was in the mid 70s a month ago. I don't drink but have been on the two vitamin k antagonists warfarin and atorvastatin, which I no longer take. Incidentally if you take these drugs they cause arterial calcification. I now take a different anticoagulant but all meds seem to damage the liver. Perhaps some liver healing substances like milk thistle may help. With a bmi of c.22 I have lot less body fat than most. I am very low carb and cut out practically all fruit with exception of avocado . regards Derek
Was that because you ate fruit and porridge?

Reactions: lindisfel
S

serenity648

When I used to take Seroxat (paroxetine, Paxil) it affected my liver function. It took me 18 months to get off it, and then a further 6 months before my liver function became normal again. I dont have the figures, sorry.

lindisfel

Expert
Was that because you ate fruit and porridge?
Yes Ickihun I did have porridge when first diagnosed and stopped 14 months ago when I went really low carb to stop R.H. Yes and I did follow the diabetic nurses initial recommendations and increase fruit intake when diagnosed. It will be interesting to see my GGT in early Dec. after having only avocado for a few weeks. regards Derek

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes Ickihun I did have porridge when first diagnosed and stopped 14 months ago when I went really low carb to stop R.H. Yes and I did follow the diabetic nurses initial recommendations and increase fruit intake when diagnosed. It will be interesting to see my GGT in early Dec. after having only avocado for a few weeks. regards Derek
I highly recommend no fruit to reduce fatty liver, to anyone willing to listen. My mum is in denial. But we're all a stubborn lot! I'm going to nag her off the 5 pieces of fruit a day she has, even though not diabetic she has fatty liver. Oh and she too has the lazy porridge EVERY morning. We're having our holiday on Monday then after that my nagging will begin in earnest. Ha ha

Reactions: lindisfel

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
I have just received a copy of my bloods that I had done on the 12th October and it states my: GGT 100 and ALT 107
There was a covering letter with the results and it states the Liver Biopsy showed some evidence of Steatohepatitis and some Eosinophils possibly due to drug induced Liver Injury. The cause has to the 3 different Biological Injections which I have had in the last 5 years and 18 months before them on Methotrexate. No Doctor pointed out to me that these drugs wreck the Liver.
A few days ago my GP went through my list of Medications and 5 were stopped, 2 were reduced dosages, and 2 were temporarily suspended. Feeling P*ssed Off is how I feel at the moment.

Darrenwo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had ultrasound after my liver had elevated readings in a blood test one doctor said this I why I'm type 2 but the last doctor said it's because I'm overweight.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Darrenwo - With some people it can be caused by Obesity. But, I have inherited my Diabetes and when I was diagnosed over 16 years ago I weighed only 10 stone. Fatty Liver can be caused by a number of things and diet could possibly be responsible, same as taking certain drugs can cause it. Which is what caused mine = I am sure!
I have had 3 different Scans and a Liver Biopsy to find out, and been told to loose another 1 stone in weight. (I only weigh 13 stone now) Have you been told to loose weight too?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had ultrasound after my liver had elevated readings in a blood test one doctor said this I why I'm type 2 but the last doctor said it's because I'm overweight.
Which one do you think is closest? Which do you believe?

Reactions: Liam1955