Fed up

nessals946

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thats it in a nutshell.Im just fed up of having diabetes,its been 42 years of holding on to a ledge by my fingertips and its beating me right now.All im doing is correcting highs constantly,i just cant be bothered to do things properly.

D

Deleted Account

I can understand your frustrations: diabetes is like that annoying guy in the office who never leaves (unless you do and then he follows you).

Is there an option to change the way you manage your diabetes? For example, if you use MDI, could you push for a pump?
I find some change helps to push me on again when I get frustrated.

Just_Me_Rachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Fish
Totally relate, so not much advice. I'm struggling in a similar way, although I super much can be bothered dealing with it, just super easily frustrated and no patience to ride it out until I get all my ratios correct.
They're telling me to read the book Diabetes Burnout, What to do when you can't take it anymore.... By William H Polonsky. I've just ordered it and awaiting its delivery. I'm also currently reading Think like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner, I'm finding really helpful.

I'm following this thread, because I need the help too.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've heard some type1s say "they control their diabetes, diabetes doesn't control them".
Is that because they lower their carbs so insulin inj less to manage?
I've also seen @azure give some good advice about doing basal checks so you can confirm you have the backbone of your insulin regime correct and go from their.
A fresh look at things?
I guess starting from the beginning again?

I often believe sometimes you have to go back to go forward sometimes! Good luck refeshing your journey.

Reactions: spook_kate_

silvertigress

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thats it in a nutshell.Im just fed up of having diabetes,its been 42 years of holding on to a ledge by my fingertips and its beating me right now.All im doing is correcting highs constantly,i just cant be bothered to do things properly.
I too have been diabetic type1 for 45 years this year and feel fed up. I am struggling with the opposite though too many low readings and daily hypos sometimes twice a day. I am trying to lose weight but if I lower my insulin my tests read too high so at the moment stuck between a rock and hard place. Just don't know what to do next!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've heard some type1s say "they control their diabetes, diabetes doesn't control them".
Is that because they lower their carbs so insulin inj less to manage?
I've also seen @azure give some good advice about doing basal checks so you can confirm you have the backbone of your insulin regime correct and go from their.
A fresh look at things?
I guess starting from the beginning again?

I often believe sometimes you have to go back to go forward sometimes! Good luck refeshing your journey.

No, it's nothing to do with lowering carbs. It just means that we're in charge not the diabetes :)

Basal is the foundation of good control, so a basal test is often recommended if there are problems :)

Reactions: ickihun

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Cut yourself some slack {{hug}} Do what you need to for now - corrections if necessary.

Then worry about doing things 'properly' when you're feeling a little better. Type 1 is exhausting sometimes - we all get it {{another hug}}

Maybe speak to your DSN tomorrow for support. Sometimes it's good to have another person work things out and make suggestions.

I hope you're feeling more positive soon. You're a winner having lived with Type 1 so long. You're stronger than it is. XX

Reactions: Bon83

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

Dont forget if over 12.0 you need to be following sick day rules even if you arent sick!!

Its hell sometimes but after 40+ years you prob know diabetes life can be a roller coaster sometimes.

Like said above.. cut yourself some slack... try to figure out whether its basal/bolus etc.. and start a fresh...

Phine DSN for help if need be...

nessals946

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for all your replies,i spoke to my dsn but she didnt really offer much advice.Said i could talk to my consultant if i wanted to.Woke up with a 5.3 this morning,so felt human for once.Starting the day off with a good result for a change made a bit of a difference to my mindset.Wouldnt it be great for a weeks holiday away from diabetes? If only x

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have felt same at times. At age of 53 years I did Daphne course, very helpful then requested a pump, took some work but has made management and monitoring much easier. I feel better more energy and freedom. (As a female lots of probs with menopause too)

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know that awful dull, high bg can't concentrate, can't be bothered feeling only too well.

Have you thought of trying a Freestyle Libre? Quite expensive but you could just use it for a while & the information is invaluable. Seeing what happens to your readings is fascinating & may kickstart renewed interest in improving control.

nessals946

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ive been using the libre since last november.It helped me enormously at first but its me thats the problem now.I need a break from something thats impossible to get away from.I did a dafne course a few years back but im not very good at carb counting.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Carb counting can be easier if you have a book/ guide to refer to, however many packaged goods have carbs written on them per item or 100g I use a small scale. Can be tiresome and harder when out if u have a phone can get info from apps.
Don't wish to assume but how is your mood in generalif not good and low motivation for managing reduces? Hope you feel better soon.

Reactions: spook_kate_

spook_kate_

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
Dont forget if over 12.0 you need to be following sick day rules even if you arent sick!!

Its hell sometimes but after 40+ years you prob know diabetes life can be a roller coaster sometimes.

Like said above.. cut yourself some slack... try to figure out whether its basal/bolus etc.. and start a fresh...

Phine DSN for help if need be...
What's the sick day rules again?? Corrective douses, Checking ketone and then increasing basal as well?

spook_kate_

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
I thought I was bad at 32 yrs type 1. I guess the burnout will never go away... I have ups and downs and definitely when my mood drops, everything feels hopeless and irritable. Remember your kind, gentle self. Give yourself some well deserved hugs x

Reactions: nessals946

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ive been using the libre since last november.It helped me enormously at first but its me thats the problem now.I need a break from something thats impossible to get away from.I did a dafne course a few years back but im not very good at carb counting.

Woukd BERTIE help at all? It might refresh your DAFNE skills.