Feedback From My Gp And Dn Appointments This Week.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This week I made appointments to speak to my GP and my DN to see if and how I can help in the local community in any way. GP appointment was to request a cholesterol test primarily as it had gone up in May to 6.8 from 5.2 in December. (My home test kit says it's now 4.25 but I just wanted the official stat for my records) but also wanted to discuss how I can spread the LCHF word in the community. The student I saw before the Dr was amazing and said it was inspirational what I wanted to do (not really, I just want to help where I can) but she feels sad as so many diabetics just want to take the meds and still have the 'nice' stuff. She said some people have been brought up in familes surrounded by diabetics who have lived with complications and just accept that will be part and parcel of life. Some have never cooked a meal in their lives. For many money is a problem. They buy cheap processed food. Some can't read, write or even speak english etc etc. The majority just prefer to take the tablets and think that balances things out. But she did say that the DN I have not met yet (there are 2) was very passionate about Diabetes and luckily enough I had booked in with her later in the week which I will come to later.

Then I saw the Dr. (jaws music here!!!). I will never get those 20 minutes back! Waste of time. He said if I hadnt tested and just lost that much weight on a normal diet (I presume he meant calorie contolled or low fat) my hba1c would have come down anyway (mine came down from diabetic level 62 in December to non diabetic level 41 in May). I asked him had he heard of Dr Unwin the local Dr and his support of LCHF. 'No'. I told him (in a nice way) I felt that I had not had any support at all and that I feel diabetics were being let down. I mean....tea and biscuits at a DESMOND meeting! He asked if they were low sugar. 'No, rich tea!' I replied. I said that the lady who was running the course got out a potato and told us how many lumps of sugar were in it and continued by saying 'so cut down your portions to say half a potato'. I said this advice being given to diabetics is not good, surely it should be NO POTATOES ......or very seldom at least! To which he told me about his farm where he grows potatoes and gets his exercise by carrying them around after picking! Random remark. He wasn't listening to me at all. Even though he recommended DCUK and I said I had got my only support and knowledge from this website he passed me a cup which said ' please do not confuse your Google with my medical degree'. So I felt really flat coming out.

But it was a different ball game when I saw the DN. Excellent results. She was very supportive. She told me there is a patient participation group for all 20 practices in my town. She is going to put my name down for my practice as a starting point and in fact went and did it straight away. Also told me Tesco have a meeting room for meetings run for diabetics by diabetics and is going to get me details of the organiser. She told me that they have introduced an initiative for pts with HBA1cs between 42 and 48, a course showing healthier choices to avoid getting diabetes (I hope it's not like DESMOND but have an awful feeling it will be!) I felt so much happier coming out of this appointment. I'm hoping to get on our pt support goup. Don't know anything about it as yet other than it's an oppotunity to take our woe into the pactice and will see where it takes us. I live in hope.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez wow! You’re doing so much to put the word out about LCHF and diabetes control. Really admire you. Shame about the doctor, but at least the nurse was amenable. Will be very interested to hear how you get on with the patient participation group and the sessions at Tesco.

Reactions: 1spuds and Debandez

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez wow! You’re doing so much to put the word out about LCHF and diabetes control. Really admire you. Shame about the doctor, but at least the nurse was amenable. Will be very interested to hear how you get on with the patient participation group and the sessions at Tesco.
@Goonergal It feels like I'm on a mission!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal It feels like I'm on a mission!
I just hope your PPG is more speedy than mine.. we just seem to have turgid meeting about "how nice it would be to have a walking group" when I want to get down to changing treatment and sacking some of the GP's...hey ho... I just hope I have the patience..

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The bit that jumps out of this @Debandez, aside from your overwhelming enthusiasm to get the low carb message out there is, how dare that Dr wave his stupid mug in your face! :mad:

Reactions: Geoffno6

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just hope your PPG is more speedy than mine.. we just seem to have turgid meeting about "how nice it would be to have a walking group" when I want to get down to changing treatment and sacking some of the GP's...hey ho... I just hope I have the patience..

I was thinking it might go something like that :-( oh dear. More minutes of my life wasted @bulkbiker

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The bit that jumps out of this @Debandez, aside from your overwhelming enthusiasm to get the low carb message out there is, how dare that Dr wave his stupid mug in your face! :mad:

Yes that's how it felt. I'm going prepared next time. I'm having a cup personalised and will be waving it around.....'doctors why don't you listen to diabetics and STOP KILLING US' .....not sure I'm quite so brave though @Rachox !!! :)

Reactions: jayney27

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes that's how it felt. I'm going prepared next time. I'm having a cup personalised and will be waving it around.....'doctors why don't you listen to diabetics and STOP KILLING US' .....not sure I'm quite so brave though @Rachox !!! :)
All power to you, @Debandez . Something I find useful when in conversation with HCPs is a copy of Dr David Unwin's (aka Southport GP, a member here) Low carb info for his patients. The fact that he saves money through the need for less prescriptions for diabetes meds for his patients usually makes them take notice. Money talks.

https://www.practicaldiabetes.com/w...etes-experience-from-one-general-practice.pdf

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: 1spuds and Pipp

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
A question for your Dr is how many T2s has he treated who have managed to get to normal Hba1C within 12 months and how did they do it?
Followed by “don’t confuse your dusty old lecture notes with real live evidence of thousands of LCHF pioneers”.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All power to you, @Debandez . Something I find useful when in conversation with HCPs is a copy of Dr David Unwin's (aka Southport GP, a member here) Low carb info for his patients. The fact that he saves money through the need for less prescriptions for diabetes meds for his patients usually makes them take notice. Money talks.

https://www.practicaldiabetes.com/w...etes-experience-from-one-general-practice.pdf

Thanks for posting this @Pipp, I have printed off a copy as a present for my GP at my appt on Friday! ;)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
In answer to the mug, "I'm not confused about your medical degree developed from cutting edge research from 1960 being used to treat patients".

I would then have to start looking for another Practice to join!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Get a mug printed (same size, colour and font) saying

Don’t confuse your out of date medical thinking with my T2 reversal via Low Carbing

And send it to him with a really sweet note about how wonderful the practice nurses are, and how brilliant it is that they are moving with the times.

Reactions: zand and jayney27

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This week I made appointments to speak to my GP and my DN to see if and how I can help in the local community in any way. GP appointment was to request a cholesterol test primarily as it had gone up in May to 6.8 from 5.2 in December. (My home test kit says it's now 4.25 but I just wanted the official stat for my records) but also wanted to discuss how I can spread the LCHF word in the community. The student I saw before the Dr was amazing and said it was inspirational what I wanted to do (not really, I just want to help where I can) but she feels sad as so many diabetics just want to take the meds and still have the 'nice' stuff. She said some people have been brought up in familes surrounded by diabetics who have lived with complications and just accept that will be part and parcel of life. Some have never cooked a meal in their lives. For many money is a problem. They buy cheap processed food. Some can't read, write or even speak english etc etc. The majority just prefer to take the tablets and think that balances things out. But she did say that the DN I have not met yet (there are 2) was very passionate about Diabetes and luckily enough I had booked in with her later in the week which I will come to later.

Then I saw the Dr. (jaws music here!!!). I will never get those 20 minutes back! Waste of time. He said if I hadnt tested and just lost that much weight on a normal diet (I presume he meant calorie contolled or low fat) my hba1c would have come down anyway (mine came down from diabetic level 62 in December to non diabetic level 41 in May). I asked him had he heard of Dr Unwin the local Dr and his support of LCHF. 'No'. I told him (in a nice way) I felt that I had not had any support at all and that I feel diabetics were being let down. I mean....tea and biscuits at a DESMOND meeting! He asked if they were low sugar. 'No, rich tea!' I replied. I said that the lady who was running the course got out a potato and told us how many lumps of sugar were in it and continued by saying 'so cut down your portions to say half a potato'. I said this advice being given to diabetics is not good, surely it should be NO POTATOES ......or very seldom at least! To which he told me about his farm where he grows potatoes and gets his exercise by carrying them around after picking! Random remark. He wasn't listening to me at all. Even though he recommended DCUK and I said I had got my only support and knowledge from this website he passed me a cup which said ' please do not confuse your Google with my medical degree'. So I felt really flat coming out.

But it was a different ball game when I saw the DN. Excellent results. She was very supportive. She told me there is a patient participation group for all 20 practices in my town. She is going to put my name down for my practice as a starting point and in fact went and did it straight away. Also told me Tesco have a meeting room for meetings run for diabetics by diabetics and is going to get me details of the organiser. She told me that they have introduced an initiative for pts with HBA1cs between 42 and 48, a course showing healthier choices to avoid getting diabetes (I hope it's not like DESMOND but have an awful feeling it will be!) I felt so much happier coming out of this appointment. I'm hoping to get on our pt support goup. Don't know anything about it as yet other than it's an oppotunity to take our woe into the pactice and will see where it takes us. I live in hope.
Fantastic keep plugging away you are doing an amazing thing x

Reactions: Debandez

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP is going to think it’s his birthday on Friday, that’s another present for him! Thanks @DCUKMod

There are also severreal LC Prog outcomes/stats prersentations on YouTube, although some of them are getting on a bit now.

There are also a fair few resources here, (including a link to this forum): https://phcuk.org/resources/

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
DCUK is one of the founder members of the PHCUK network, as is Dr Unwin. Their Ambassador programme seems to have really taken off.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One thing I would add, from my experience, is the KISS theory. Keep it short and simple.
Go on folks give your HCPs a KISS. ;)

Reactions: Alison Campbell