Feedback on my readings, if possible?

KernowKeith

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
OK, so my Tee2+ arrived today - not bad seeing as I ordered it late Sunday evening! Immediately impressed with the quality of it compared to the Sinocare meter, and also with the manual that came with it. So, took a reading with it late morning and recorded 5.7 - then switched to the Sinocare which showed 6.1 at the same time.

Just taken my afternoon reading on the Tee2+ and it showed 5.5, compared to the Sinocare's reading of 6.4! Surprised, I immediately retook the reading on the Tee2+ (same finger, same sample) and it showed 5.4. That's quite a difference. It will be interesting to see how things go as I've been a bit depressed the last couple of days as, despite being careful with the carbs, my readings have been all over the place. Let's see if that's the case with the Tee2+...

Reactions: bulkbiker

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, so my Tee2+ arrived today - not bad seeing as I ordered it late Sunday evening! Immediately impressed with the quality of it compared to the Sinocare meter, and also with the manual that came with it. So, took a reading with it late morning and recorded 5.7 - then switched to the Sinocare which showed 6.1 at the same time.

Just taken my afternoon reading on the Tee2+ and it showed 5.5, compared to the Sinocare's reading of 6.4! Surprised, I immediately retook the reading on the Tee2+ (same finger, same sample) and it showed 5.4. That's quite a difference. It will be interesting to see how things go as I've been a bit depressed the last couple of days as, despite being careful with the carbs, my readings have been all over the place. Let's see if that's the case with the Tee2+...

trouble is, I wouldn’t be assuming that the nice low readings were the right ones.

I had 2 meters. One always read 1 mmol/l higher than the other.

I preferred to use the high one. It gave me more incentive to knuckle down and keep bg low.

Of course, I’m not taking meds that could cause hypos and I have my reactive hypoglycaemia under control (with diet), so I’m not worrying about hypos.

KernowKeith

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
trouble is, I wouldn’t be assuming that the nice low readings were the right ones.

I had 2 meters. One always read 1 mmol/l higher than the other.
The problem with the Sinocare is that I have consistently got two very different readings one after the other, within a minute or so, which is what made me suspicious about its accuracy. At least by entering the data in the mySugr app, I can get to see an overall trend as the days or weeks pass, but as this is relatively early days for me, I'm still trying to identify which specific foods cause spikes. Time for an accurate log methinks...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem with the Sinocare is that I have consistently got two very different readings one after the other, within a minute or so, which is what made me suspicious about its accuracy. At least by entering the data in the mySugr app, I can get to see an overall trend as the days or weeks pass, but as this is relatively early days for me, I'm still trying to identify which specific foods cause spikes. Time for an accurate log methinks...
I expect you will find exactly the same variability in your new meter - even if testing the same drop of blood more than once.

sadly, they are just not that accurate. Sad (and frustrating) but also true.

KernowKeith

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
I expect you will find exactly the same variability in your new meter - even if testing the same drop of blood more than once.

sadly, they are just not that accurate. Sad (and frustrating) but also true.

So far the Tee2+ is proving more consistent after ‘double testing’ (for want of a better expression!) but considering the price of these meters it’s not surprising they’re not the most accurate devices in the world! I’d happily pay more to get a meter which gave readings that might remotely be considered accurate.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
So far the Tee2+ is proving more consistent after ‘double testing’ (for want of a better expression!) but considering the price of these meters it’s not surprising they’re not the most accurate devices in the world! I’d happily pay more to get a meter which gave readings that might remotely be considered accurate.

The glucose in your blood reacts with enzymes in the test strips and the amount of glucose/enzymes affects the electrical resistance between 2 nodes which is essentially what is being measured. It is my understanding (and I'm happy to be proved wrong) that the accuracy limitation stems from the enzymes in the test strips and making a whole batch and indeed every batch, exactly the same in a factory that's (probably) making millions of them is always going to be problematic.

In addition, I don't believe that the cost of the meter should be taken as an indication of its accuracy. The cost is low because the manufacturer makes far more profit from repeat sales of test strips once you're hooked on their meter - several manufacturers give them away for this very reason. (I have just received an Areo 2K from Glucomen gratis ).

KernowKeith

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
For anyone who's interested (visions of tumbleweed and a soundtrack of 'Sounds of Silence'...), following on from my last set of readings I posted on the morning of December 19th, these are my morning on waking, late afternoon and post-prandial late evening readings, followed by the daily average.
19/12: 5.4 - 6.3 - 5.9 . (5.9)
20/12: 5.8 - 6.0 - 6.3 . (6.0)
21/12: 6.1 - 5.2 - 5.8 . (5.7)
22/12: 6.2 - 5.0 - 6.5 . (5.9)
23/12: 6.6 - 5.7 - 6.9 . (6.4)
24/12: 6.1 - 5.7 - 5.5 . (6.0)
25/12: 5.7 - 6.9 - 5.4 . (5.9) Pre-midday Christmas dinner reading was 5.5...
26/12: 5.1 - 5.8 - 6.5 . (5.8)
27/12: 5.8 - 4.2 - 6.4 . (5.6)
28/12: 5.6 - 7.0 - 6.8 . (6.3) '7.0' reading was double-checked and have no real idea what caused it
29/12: 5.4 - 6.1 - 5.1 . (5.5)
30/12: 5.6 - 6.1 - 7.4 . (6.4) '7.4' was two hours after a stir-fry with a small amount of couscous

On the whole I am pretty pleased with things - according to mySugr app, the projected HbA1c is now 34.4 but no idea how accurate that is. My 'warning' reading at the doctors' was 43, so if the app is anywhere near accurate, I'm happy.

Reactions: Lotties

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For anyone who's interested (visions of tumbleweed and a soundtrack of 'Sounds of Silence'...), following on from my last set of readings I posted on the morning of December 19th, these are my morning on waking, late afternoon and post-prandial late evening readings, followed by the daily average.
28/12: 5.6 - 7.0 - 6.8 . (6.3) '7.0' reading was double-checked and have no real idea what caused it
30/12: 5.6 - 6.1 - 7.4 . (6.4) '7.4' was two hours after a stir-fry with a small amount of couscous

On the whole I am pretty pleased with things - according to mySugr app, the projected HbA1c is now 34.4 but no idea how accurate that is. My 'warning' reading at the doctors' was 43, so if the app is anywhere near accurate, I'm happy.
I wish mine looked as good (and my pre-Xmas HbA1c,done twice in 1 week, was 38)

Ukbandit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As well as can be expected first thing in the morning! Seriously I don't feel any different to how I've always felt – if I'm off to a photoshoot up country somewhere, I'll be up at 5.00am and on the road by six, with no undue feeling of tiredness. But then I have always had some cereal before I left, and then stopped after a couple of hours for a coffee and danish (which I guess I'll have to stop eating now!). On the whole, I feel great – most of my tiredness throughout the day is attributed to taking Bisoprolol (beta blocker) to reduce blood pressure, which is now constant at around 128/78.
I was told by my practise nurse that cereal was bad for me, and should be eating porridge instead, after a year and self testing, the cereal was bad, but the porridge was no better, my levels were high all day. I find Bacon Egg Tomatoes, as hardly any effect on my sugar levels b

Ukbandit

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Couscous is a definite no no for me, it’s the worst thing for carbs apparantly

KernowKeith

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Couscous is a definite no no for me, it’s the worst thing for carbs apparantly
That's my feeling, too. Had some the other day mixed 50/50 with cauliflower rice and had virtually no effect on BG reading. Just been trying to ring the changes and stay away from rice/pasta etc. Every day is a school day!

Reactions: Redshank

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’d happily pay more to get a meter which gave readings that might remotely be considered accurate
Dr Bernstein, who has done an awful lot of testing in his 85 years, currently recommends only the Abbott Freestyle and Freestyle Lite meters for accuracy. So far I have baulked at the price of the strips, but I am weakening. The other day I had a reading that was a nasty surprise and ended up using 2 TEE2 strips and 2 Codefree to check. I imagine that cost me more than one Freedom strip would have, and I would have felt more confident in the end.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just been trying to ring the changes and stay away from rice/pasta etc
Do you know about Slim rice and pasta? Nothing to do with cereals, no carbs, made from a fungus by those fiendishly clever Chinese! I buy it from Holland & Barratt, but only when it is on offer as even then it is dear. https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/eat-water-slim-rice-60007572?skuid=007572
People either love it or hate it. Personally, I buy it in bulk (even cheaper that way, free delivery) and get through a packet (2 portions) a day if not more. It has made a huge difference to my meals to have pasta, with or without grated cheese, and even rice pudding with double cream and Erythritol (another bulk buy). I love the fact that it doesn't need to be cooked, just rinsed thoroughly and then warmed only if you don't want to eat it cold. No more gungy rice saucepans to wash up!

Reactions: KernowKeith

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wish mine looked as good (and my pre-Xmas HbA1c,done twice in 1 week, was 38)
@Lotties I remember the days when my A1c was stuck at 38 and I was disappointed. This year my pre-Christmas reading was back up to the 41 I scored about 30 months ago when I was blithely eating a Mediterranean diet stuffed with fruit and other low fat foods. The difference now is that I see no way to reduce my carbs any further than my meagre 20-30g daily without starving to death. To each his/her own. I suppose we can all be thankful that at least our readings are not worse. This sounds rather Eeyorish. It was meant to register solidarity with everyone who cares about their A1c, win, lose or stuck!

Reactions: AloeSvea

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Lotties I remember the days when my A1c was stuck at 38 and I was disappointed. This year my pre-Christmas reading was back up to the 41 I scored about 30 months ago when I was blithely eating a Mediterranean diet stuffed with fruit and other low fat foods. The difference now is that I see no way to reduce my carbs any further than my meagre 20-30g daily without starving to death. To each his/her own. I suppose we can all be thankful that at least our readings are not worse. This sounds rather Eeyorish. It was meant to register solidarity with everyone who cares about their A1c, win, lose or stuck!
@Alexandra100
My post too, although I'm more Piglet :p.
Last but one temptation of 2019 over. BG on my Freestyle Libre (possibly low by 1-1.5) hit 7.5 @ PP1.75,
8.0 @ PP2.5 rising to a peak of 8.9 @ PP3.25
7.9 @ PP4 and thence dropped rapidly back to 5.6 (fbg) in less than 30mins.
Disappointing response but at least clearance finally happened. Meal was small portion of starchy veg stew, cabbage and two mini sausages; tiny slice of pecan pie; two v. small glasses bucks fizz.

KernowKeith

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Well, I won't be trying that again... Last night, after a day of feeling a bit depressed about diets and BG levels, we decided to try a small portion of brown rice with salmon and leeks, as I have missed rice and pasta in my diet. Well, my usual post-prandial nighttime reading of 6.1–6.5 shot up to 9.4. Guess that tells me everything I need to know about rice... Back to cauli rice it is, then.

Reactions: AloeSvea

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I won't be trying that again... Last night, after a day of feeling a bit depressed about diets and BG levels, we decided to try a small portion of brown rice with salmon and leeks, as I have missed rice and pasta in my diet. Well, my usual post-prandial nighttime reading of 6.1–6.5 shot up to 9.4. Guess that tells me everything I need to know about rice... Back to cauli rice it is, then.
Out for the momen but check again in a couple of weeks. You may start to see improvement.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's all about self experimentation.. look on it as a voyage of new discovery rather than a chore?

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I can take very small quantities of pasta(brown) 20 penne, and rice, (basmati with wild rice) two rounded tablespoons. But have grown to prefer cauli rice- at least I get a decent portion:greedy:
Pata is simply too much faff to eat often. MrSlim should not eat wholemeal. So straight away we have two pans...
You will find what suits you best in time.
Keep experimenting.