Feedback on my readings, if possible?

KernowKeith

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
I'ma little confused. I've been self-testing for over a month now, a period which has included the 'difficult' periods of Christmas and the New Year. My average daily morning reading works out at 5.5mmol/L (taken on waking), the average evening post-prandial is 6.6mmol/L and my average of all readings taken works out at 5.9mmol/L. The latter figure would be, according to DiabetesUK, the equivalent of an HbA1c figure of 35mmol/mol.

The figures following samples taken by the practice nurse at my GP's which led to the pre-diabetese warning were fasting 5.7mmol/L and an HbA1c of 43mmol/mol.

Comparing all this to the following table on this website suggests that I have reeled things back in. Or am I reading all this wrong? I'm confused...

Screenshot-2020-01-12-at-20-45-23.png

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Comparing all this to the following table on this website suggests that I have reeled things back in. Or am I reading all this wrong? I'm confused...
IMO you should not be confused, but pleased. It does look as if your numbers are going in the right direction, due to your own efforts and restraint! However, I wouldn't spend too long trying to calculate your next A1c. Don't forget, NOTHING in and around diabetes is straightforward or reliable. Some people always score an A1c higher than their home testing leads them to expect, some I daresay lower. It is not worth getting excited (or cast down) over one A1c or one finger-prick reading. Instead, I suggest you congratulate yourself on an extremely satisfactory start to your diabetes-managing career, and then decide whether you would like to go a bit lower, and if so, how.

Reactions: Yogagran

KernowKeith

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Well, I got to see the doctor yesterday (managed to get an appointment with just five days notice - miracle!) to see if I could get an HbA1c test carried out – and have my cholesterol checked. Having had that angioplasty a while back, am anxious for the increased fat intake not to have a negative effect on heart-related matters. I was pleased that the doctor was a locum – in my experience, they tend to have a more open mind and also don't look at the bottom line all the time when it comes to blood tests and the like. When I explained why I wanted an HbA1c test carried out (my last one was actually way back in May last year!) she looked at my records and said no problem and that it made more sense than my practice nurses' decision to give me a fasting glucose test, which had set me off on the pre-diabetes path. Her feeling was that an HbA1c test was, in my case at least, of far greater value. Then, without my saying anything she came out with 'And I'll get your cholesterol levels checked while we're about it, too.' She also didn't flinch when I said I spent a lot of time on here. Her comment was 'It seems like you're doing all the right things. That's good'. Sometimes it's nice to come away from a doctor's visit with the feeling that somebody actually cares. I'm due to have the blood test done on Monday 27th. Probably ask them to check my PSA level, too. can never be too careful at my age. :)

clare1_2_3

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well, I got to see the doctor yesterday (managed to get an appointment with just five days notice - miracle!) to see if I could get an HbA1c test carried out – and have my cholesterol checked. Having had that angioplasty a while back, am anxious for the increased fat intake not to have a negative effect on heart-related matters. I was pleased that the doctor was a locum – in my experience, they tend to have a more open mind and also don't look at the bottom line all the time when it comes to blood tests and the like. When I explained why I wanted an HbA1c test carried out (my last one was actually way back in May last year!) she looked at my records and said no problem and that it made more sense than my practice nurses' decision to give me a fasting glucose test, which had set me off on the pre-diabetes path. Her feeling was that an HbA1c test was, in my case at least, of far greater value. Then, without my saying anything she came out with 'And I'll get your cholesterol levels checked while we're about it, too.' She also didn't flinch when I said I spent a lot of time on here. Her comment was 'It seems like you're doing all the right things. That's good'. Sometimes it's nice to come away from a doctor's visit with the feeling that somebody actually cares. I'm due to have the blood test done on Monday 27th. Probably ask them to check my PSA level, too. can never be too careful at my age. :)

Just spent some time catching up on your journey, as I await delivery of my home blood glucose monitor. Very interesting and informative, thanks. I wondered if you have had your latest results back yet?

KernowKeith

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Just spent some time catching up on your journey, as I await delivery of my home blood glucose monitor. Very interesting and informative, thanks. I wondered if you have had your latest results back yet?
Hi there - sorry I've been slow in replying. Well, the HbA1c reading was down to 'normal' at 41 - a modest drop from the Pre-diabetic 43, but I was happy. My cholesterol levels are all back to normal, too, which was a big bonus as I had expected them to suffer. All in all, things are looking positive.

I have lost weight, though - I was 9st 13lbs, and now weigh 9st 5lbs, but my BMI is still well within range. All in all, I'm pretty pleased. I've not been checking my BG levels as regularly as before but yesterday's pre- and post-prandial readings were 5.7 (mid-afternoon) and 5.3 (late evening before bed), so more than happy.

Basically, I've given up bread, beer, potatoes, pasta and rice, all of which were a regular part of my pre-diagnosis diet. I've had one (small) pasta meal since early December, not a single ale-type beer (just one pint of lager last week), one rice meal (which caused a big spike...) and a total of about one slice of bread in all that time. I try to exercise more but not the best example in that regard - my work as a journalist/magazine editor is pretty sedentary - but my wife is a good example, cycling and walking regularly, so she's my conscience!

Good luck with things - it's worth it!

Last edited:

clare1_2_3

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for the response

I've got PCOS which has links to insulin resistance and Type 2. My mother had a foot ulcer last year, and has since been diagnosed Type 2, so I'm keen to make sure I'm not sleep walking in the same direction.

I'm My HBA1C was 38 last year so not yet pre diabetic but potentially on that route. I'm planning to do some short term testing to see whether carbs are spiking my blood sugar.

My monitor arrived today so let the experiment begin....!

You've done well. I think once you have found what works then no need for such regular.

A colleague of mine has done really well on the low carb programme too.
Hi there - sorry I've been slow in replying. Well, the HbA1c reading was down to 'normal' at 41 - a modest drop from the Pre-diabetic 43, but I was happy. My cholesterol levels are all back to normal, too, which was a big bonus as I had expected them to suffer. All in all, things are looking positive.

I have lost weight, though - I was 9st 13lbs, and now weigh 9st 5lbs, but my BMI is still well within range. All in all, I'm pretty pleased. I've not been checking my BG levels as regularly as before but yesterday's pre- and post-prandial readings were 5.7 (mid-afternoon) and 5.3 (late evening before bed), so more than happy.

Basically, I've given up bread, beer, potatoes, pasta and rice, all of which were a regular part of my pre-diagnosis diet. I've had one (small) pasta meal since early December, not a single ale-type beer (just one pint of lager last week), one rice meal (which caused a big spike...) and a total of about one slice of bread in all that time. I try to exercise more but not the best example in that regard - my work as a journalist/magazine editor is pretty sedentary - but my wife is a good example, cycling and walking regularly, so she's my conscience!

Good luck with things - it's worth it!

Reactions: KernowKeith

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
From the readings I get after eating my Hba1c ought to be a bit lower - but it has been the same for years. I dropped my carb intake from 50 gm to 40 and Hba1c did not reduce, but I only have an annual check, and I had got used to the 40 by then so I have stayed with it.
Maybe after long years of being unable to deal with carbs my 'glucostat' is just set higher.

Yogagran

I was diagnosed with prediabetic last July with a reading of 43. I started low carb and fasting, I lost 20 lbs and 5 inches off my waist.
I am 72year old woman, fit, 5 ft 1 and weighed 9 st. 4lbs to start with, so I came down to 7 st 12, got tested again end of January and reading has only come down to 42, I don’t want to lose any more weight. nurse at my doctors practice last week, just told to get it tested in 6 months again, but I don’t know what else to do, wasn’t given and advice from nurse, all I have read on the web, is that people that lose the weight the number comes down, and ideas would be much appreciated

Last edited:

KernowKeith

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
I was diagnosed with prediabetic last July with a reading of 43. I started low carb and fasting, I lost 20 lbs and 5 inches off my waist.
I am 72year old woman, fit, 5 ft 1 and weighed 9 st. 4lbs to start with, so I came down to 7 st 12, got tested again end of January and reading has only come down to 42, I don’t want to lose any more weight. nurse at my doctors practice last week, just told to get it tested in 6 months again, but I don’t know what else to do, wasn’t given and advice from nurse, all I have read on the web, is that people that lose the weight the number comes down, and ideas would be much appreciated
Sorry you're having problems with your weight – mine has stabilised now, so I'm happy. Could I ask what your normal diet consists of? To me it sounds like you need to up your intake of protein and fat – more meat, eggs, cheese, etc. I've started eating cheese having given it up when I had angina and high cholesterol readings, but now the low carb diet appears to have brought the cholesterol readings down, too. All were marked 'normal' on my test results.
Don't get despondent – a tweak in diet could make all the difference. If you're vegetarian or vegan, I have to admit I don't know what the answer would be, especially in the latter case.