Feel so ill

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had something similar myself about 4 weeks ago - still got the lingering cough, I am sorry to say.
Didn't have such raised bg, and I did have a temp, but the dreadful sore throat and coughing - it was like my lungs were trying to turn inside out every time, and walking, talking, even eating would disrupt my breathing, and set off a coughing spasm.

Of course, I have no idea whether what you have is the same, RRB, but just in case it is:

I found that sleeping in a reclining chair helped tremendously. Couldn't sit up cos my head needed support, and couldn't lie down because it started the coughing. Sleeping reclined REALLY helped.
Drank as much as possible (used Sambucol Fortis, sugar free and sambucol effervescent tablets, Night Nurse capsules, which are OK for diabetics, and echinaea drops)
Chicken soup when I felt like eating.

It was nasty enough, and lasted long enough, that I actually think it was REAL flu, not just some virus.

It has taken 3-4 weeks to feel right again - the main lingering symptom was deep tiredness, so please don't try and do too much, too soon. Rest, take it easy, and pamper yourself. It will help.

Hope you feel better soon!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Take care RRB!

Place wouldn't be the same without you!

Hope you're back soon!

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Big hugs from me Robin,hope you feel better soon x x x x

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello, I got to see a dr about 11.30, he asked me questions, listened to my chest and took a swab from the back of my throat and I will find out the result in a couple of days. He wanted to prescribe codeine as they are stronger, but I told him that stronger painkillers make me sick, so I am sticking to the co-codomol to be on the safe side and gargling salt water.
I cant even sip water or tea without a painful coughing fit. Glands are swollen too, throat is incredibly sore. BS was 14.7 when I got up and then 14 .5 later.
Had a nice rest this afternoon, so not doing much, not sure about work tomorrow though
ps paramedic was very nice last night and when I told her about my dad being in hospital, she said I probably picked up a bug there. Hopefully I will feel better very soon.
Thank you all for your advice and good wishes.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Had something similar myself about 4 weeks ago - still got the lingering cough, I am sorry to say.
Didn't have such raised bg, and I did have a temp, but the dreadful sore throat and coughing - it was like my lungs were trying to turn inside out every time, and walking, talking, even eating would disrupt my breathing, and set off a coughing spasm.

Of course, I have no idea whether what you have is the same, RRB, but just in case it is:

I found that sleeping in a reclining chair helped tremendously. Couldn't sit up cos my head needed support, and couldn't lie down because it started the coughing. Sleeping reclined REALLY helped.
Drank as much as possible (used Sambucol Fortis, sugar free and sambucol effervescent tablets, Night Nurse capsules, which are OK for diabetics, and echinaea drops)
Chicken soup when I felt like eating.

It was nasty enough, and lasted long enough, that I actually think it was REAL flu, not just some virus.

It has taken 3-4 weeks to feel right again - the main lingering symptom was deep tiredness, so please don't try and do too much, too soon. Rest, take it easy, and pamper yourself. It will help.

Hope you feel better soon!

Thank you Brunneria, I can hardly drink anything as it brings on a hoarse coughing fit and twice today I have brought up the sips of water, tea and tablets too.
Had a restful afternoon and going for a soak in the bath very soon. Feel quite chilly, but back of neck is warm in comparison.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hope all is well, @Robinredbreast . What a fright. Do take care - hope 11am appt goes well.

:)

Thank you Snapsy :)

hope you're ok @Robinredbreast - sounds like a nasty throat infection or something going on. Hopefully the docs can figure it out for you so you get to feeling better.

Thank you Mep :)
Hope you get well soon RRB.
Sounds like that chesty thing going about coupled with a sore throat?
Some get both. But the cough is more common. It sort of starts deep in the chest? Then works its way up as it clears to an annoying tickle in the pipes which hangs about for a while.. Unusually. The dry freezing temprature alleviated it, going out for a stroll..?

Keep well.!

Thank you jaylee :)
RRB, sending (((((hugs))))) get well soon

Bless you Mr Clive, thank you.:)

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hey RRB are you asthmatic? The breathing sounds like the way I suffer with throat and chest infections. My temperature is invariably OK too, so the medics don't take a lot of notice of the fact that I'm suffering so much. I don't tick the right boxes, but I do know when I'm ill, even if the computer says No. :rolleyes:

Hope you feel better soon.
x

Thank you Zand, no I'm not asthmatic and never had breathing problems, still dont' know what it is or why I had the breathing problems last night., never felt so bad in a long time.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you thought about gargling with soluble aspirin? Obviously check it's alright to take with the co-codamol first though but it helped a lot with throat pain, even if it was a bit gross.

Hope you feel better soon, look after yourself

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find using a straw helps sometimes when I can't sip water. It sounds stupid but it's something to do with the breathing - for me, at least. I also suck ice cubes sometimes as that can help.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sending big hugs.. Xx

Thank you so much dd x

Sending love and hugs Robs, get well soon xxx

A big thank you Nicola x

Take care RRB. The docs will sort you out. Sending hugs.

Many thanks Bluetit :)

Ah hope you're ok RRB, fingers crossed they get to the bottom of it at your appointment and you're feeling well soon xx

Thank you Mrsass :)
Hope you feel well soon keep warm :):)

Many thanks amgrundy :)
Hope you get sorted and feel better very soon. Good luck with your appointment and best wishesxxx

Thank you Julie :)
Best wishes RRB. We're all thinking of you.

Many thanks Nidge247 :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Have you thought about gargling with soluble aspirin? Obviously check it's alright to take with the co-codamol first though but it helped a lot with throat pain, even if it was a bit gross.

Hope you feel better soon, look after yourself

Thank you catapillar, I will try and get some asprin tomorrow, I showed the dr a packet if the co-codoamol and he said it was okay to take and did I have enough at home.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I find using a straw helps sometimes when I can't sip water. It sounds stupid but it's something to do with the breathing - for me, at least. I also suck ice cubes sometimes as that can help.

Thank you azure, I will try that with ice cubes, a good tip thanks.:)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hope your soon on the mend RRB, take care of yourself.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Rest up @Robinredbreast . Take pks and lots of fluids. Hopefully this is just a nasty wee bug that will clear quickly. Hugs x :)

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Hi again RRB, glad you're being looked after. This sounds incredibly similar to something I had years ago when on holiday - tonsillitis, would you believe! Much worse than in childhood, I could hardly swallow at all, doc gave me soluble painkillers, I felt absolutely awful. Whatever Lurgy you have, really hope you feel better soon, you've been having a tough time recently xx

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope your on the mend now .. also was going to say sucking crushed ice can be good