Feeling abandoned and frustrated...

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm just so angry with my current GP. Visited him a couple of days ago on a follow-up for my blood pressure and to get repeats of that medication ordered.

He noted that I had lost weight and looked a lot fitter and happier since he'd last seen me... but refused to put me up for a cholesterol level test or HBa1C so early to see how my changed diet was going. Also was quite upset with my diet as well when I told him I was completely ignoring the recommended diet and had cut back on carbs and was making it up with protein and saturated fats...

He basically told me to keep taking the statins (I'd told him I'd stopped taking them as he'd asked if I wanted a repeat doing for them) and see what the results were on the next annual tests in April... His objection for the HBa1C was that they cost his budget £10 a throw and he wasn't going to go recommending them willy nilly, just the absolute minimum the NICE guidelines require. He's already started cutting back on test strips for T2s (even insulin users) as he was having budget issues because of the current obesity/diabetes crisis... Really didn't like the fact that I was self testing for BG levels. He asked me what I would do with a bad reading, told him I'd go for a walk and also cut back on whatever had caused the bad reading.

methinks I may go around him via the DSN... but need an excuse to see her earlier as well... she's a bit funny about my diet as well... :(

I feel abandoned until next April... oh well, there's still you lot in here... :)

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
You have every right to feel frustrated at this idiotic treatment. Is there a process for changing GPs in the UK?

I am so glad I live in NZ. Its inconvenient to change GPs but at least it can be done.

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I shall just stick to what I'm doing and we'll see what the real results are in April...

PS. That's 24 lb lost in the four months since diagnosed and also ignoring the NHS diet...

Grazer

Well done so far Paul, stick to your guns. Bet your blood pressure and HbA1c all come down, so that may change their views. Do you refuse statins because of side effects or concerns you may get side effects? I know lots of people avoid them, but I've decided to stick with them personally. Don't seem to get ill effects, and LDL is definitely lower. Time may of course prove me wrong!

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm having side effects with them... was feeling muzzy when taking them... haven't had muscle pains, but was generally feeling not right and being forgetful.

MaryJ

Hi Paul

You could always try a different tack.

Explain that because of the good results you have had with low carbing and weight loss you want to ensure it's not having a detrimental effect elsewhere. Explain you understand his concerns re low carbing and you share them so want to check your not fixing one problem and creating another.

Also, if you want to get tough, the GP's receive an extra £2000 pa per diabetic patient. (there are threads on here about it) I'm willing to bet anything what you've received so far and for the next x number of months won't add up to that. £10 per HBA1c, big deal, that leaves them £1990 for the rest of YOUR care.

Mary x

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
That is so frustrating Paul. I had similar issues with my own surgery right up until they did do an HbA1c and cholesterol test 3 months after diagnosis. At that point on seeing the results they completely changed and are now very supportive. By denying you the tests they are denying you the ability to show them how well you've undoubtedly done. One way out is to tell the doc you want to go "private" and give him the tenner for the hBA1c test. Maybe worth it to see his face when the result comes back :)