1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Feeling flat - Failed again.

Discussion in 'Emotional and Mental Health' started by Maggie/Magpie, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Sid Bonkers

Sid Bonkers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Maggie I have done that a few times and its very annoying and can seem like a wasted appointment cant it.

What I do now whenever I have an any appointment is, I write down any questions I have before the appointment and as I think of more I add them to the list, then on the day of the appointment when I am asked if I have any questions I simply read them off my list.

It can also help to take your partner, a family member or friend with you that knows your condition not just for moral support but that way there are two of you to remember questions and also to remember what was said and explained to you during the appointment as its easy to 'zone in' on one thing the consultant says and miss something else when you are on your own.

2. EllsKBells

EllsKBells Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If you and they are on facebook, you can do videochats on that, which seems to work reasonably well.

It's not quite as extreme as your daughter in New Zealand, but as you know I'm at university 200 miles from my family. I don't like to bother them too much (as it is always my Dad, since my mum doesn't even have a mobile phone!) but something that we do is if we see a joke, or a picture, or an article that I think they might like or be interested in, I send it to them. It's just a little thing that says "I am thinking of you". Even if the only response is a smiley face, on the worst days it is like gold dust.

Remember that depression is a nasty little voice in the back of your brain that always makes you assume the worst. You feel like everybody hates you or is out to get you, and the voice feeds that. Definitely try to talk to your daughters a little bit about how you feel. As a child, I would say that I didn't realise, or still don't realise, everything that my parents do and have done for me, and how they might feel, until I have been through that myself. We take our parents for granted so much, sometimes we need to be reminded.

Rabbit away. We are here to listen, and besides, it's better out than bottled up inside you where it will only do more damage.

You are so strong Maggie. Sending you more hugs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook