Feeling optimistic!

D

Deleted member 391597

Hi all,

Some of you probably remember me posting a lot asking will I ever be able to eat normally ever again after being diagnosed 4 weeks ago. Anyway, I was able to eat a 3 course Easter dinner today (including my fave cheesecake for dessert) and was able to be under target post meal! I'm so happy about this and feel it has given me the confidence to eat more "normally" if I wish. I'm still yet to meet with my consultant so have been using my own knowledge to carb count and dose correctly as well as try to eat as sensibly as I can...But I wanted to share this story to let other newly diagnosed Type 1s know that it really is possible to treat yourself and remain in target too.

Thank you to the people who told me this was possible 4 weeks ago...Now I believe you!

Happy Easter all.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thats brilliant Hollie, early days for you but you've got this. Onwards and upwards...

Reactions: AM1874

goosey39

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

Some of you probably remember me posting a lot asking will I ever be able to eat normally ever again after being diagnosed 4 weeks ago. Anyway, I was able to eat a 3 course Easter dinner today (including my fave cheesecake for dessert) and was able to be under target post meal! I'm so happy about this and feel it has given me the confidence to eat more "normally" if I wish. I'm still yet to meet with my consultant so have been using my own knowledge to carb count and dose correctly as well as try to eat as sensibly as I can...But I wanted to share this story to let other newly diagnosed Type 1s know that it really is possible to treat yourself and remain in target too.

Thank you to the people who told me this was possible 4 weeks ago...Now I believe you!

Happy Easter all.
Well done, i meant to test before dinner and after but as i am having trouble with finger pricking i forgot:bored:

D

Deleted member 391597

Thank you all - I feel like I got an 'A' on a school report - haha! I'm sure there will be lots of bumps along the way but today has made me feel more optimistic about the future. :)

Reactions: azure

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Atta girl, @Hollieo4 !

I remember your posts from last month panicking about never being able to eat chocolate again, so it's good to see you've stepped up to the plate and figured out you can pretty much carry on as you did before.

There's a good book, "Breakthrough, Elizabeth Hughes, the discovery of insulin, and the making of a medical miracle", by Thea Cooper. The Hughes kid in the title was one of the first kids to get insulin, she wrote to her parents about how she was going to be the, "captain of her own ship". Read that book, it's very inspirational for a newbie.

That's what you're doing now, you're learning how to be the captain of your own ship. Pretty soon you'll be making decisions on you're own, it's a self treated condition, but you've always got your DSN to fall back on, and a couple of hundred T1s here if that doesn't work!

Great to see you're attacking it head on. You go, kiddo!

D

Deleted member 391597

Thank you @Scott-C - will definitely take a look at that! Woke up with a fasting of 4.8 this morning too (usually in the 5s), so maybe a little treat was just what I needed! Haha...