Feeling weird for a week and then OK after changing Levemir Flexi Pen

sololite

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type 1.5 LADA for last 18 months.

I take 7 units of basal insulin once a day using Levemir Flexi Pen and have been generally been feeling fine for the past year since using it.

I keep it in the fridge until I need a new one and then discard after a month

Last week I felt really weird, really hard to describe. Couldn't think straight, was really intolerant of family and felt a bit like a space cadet.

I didn't check my BS during this period. Stupid, I know.

Then I changed my pen and the next day returned back to normal (whatever that is!). I felt this once in the early days of injecting and am wondering if there could be a link. My BS has been OK since changing the pen.

Could it just be coincidence? Can the insulin go 'off' ?

Would appreciate a view from others who may have had similar experiences with this pen or basal insulin only/1.5 diabetics.

regards,

Chris

D

Deleted Account

As I am sure you realise, it is difficult to know whether this was a coincidence or not without any BG readings.
However, I have experienced some insulin which did not seem as potent and when I changed the vial (I did not use pre-filled pens), my BG returned to normal.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It would say its unlikely to be the insulin but you never know.....

definitely worth testing at times like these....

I personally find myself testing if I feel off even its its not likely to be related to BG levels....

Are you any other medications...? blood pressure maybe...?

sololite

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
As I am sure you realise, it is difficult to know whether this was a coincidence or not without any BG readings.
However, I have experienced some insulin which did not seem as potent and when I changed the vial (I did not use pre-filled pens), my BG returned to normal.
Thanks for replying. I was stupid not to test. I think I was going through a mini denial and scared to test in case I had shot right up to levels that tell me the honeymoon period might be over.

sololite

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
It would say its unlikely to be the insulin but you never know.....

definitely worth testing at times like these....

I personally find myself testing if I feel off even its its not likely to be related to BG levels....

Are you any other medications...? blood pressure maybe...?
Thanks for the advice. I will get back into the swing of testing rather than sailing on regardless. No other medications, just alcohol and lots of fresh air

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well your now alert about it so you will know to throw it use another next time it happens.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am type 1.5 LADA for last 18 months.

I take 7 units of basal insulin once a day using Levemir Flexi Pen and have been generally been feeling fine for the past year since using it.

I keep it in the fridge until I need a new one and then discard after a month

Last week I felt really weird, really hard to describe. Couldn't think straight, was really intolerant of family and felt a bit like a space cadet.

I didn't check my BS during this period. Stupid, I know.

Then I changed my pen and the next day returned back to normal (whatever that is!). I felt this once in the early days of injecting and am wondering if there could be a link. My BS has been OK since changing the pen.

Could it just be coincidence? Can the insulin go 'off' ?

Would appreciate a view from others who may have had similar experiences with this pen or basal insulin only/1.5 diabetics.

regards,

Chris

My DN said I might be LADA and will conduct tests in January.

I do not want to be shocked so I am now preparing for next year.

Please advice how I can best prepare myself.

Andrew

sololite

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
My DN said I might be LADA and will conduct tests in January.

I do not want to be shocked so I am now preparing for next year.

Please advice how I can best prepare myself.

Andrew
Hi Andrew

That is a a really good question and one I am not sure I am able to truly answer for you.

I had never heard of LADA until my Diabetic Nurse suggested I might have it and sent me for blood tests. Mine came through in about 4 weeks and so I didn’t really prepare to receive the news. I had been diagnosed as T2 a couple of months earlier and had already switched into a routine of healthy eating and exercise (cycling is my thing).

It did upset me the moment she confirmed LADA and in the next breath asked me to stop Metformin and start injecting basal insulin straight away, so I guess you could think about how you might feel about receiving that news should you get it.

I imagine everyone is different when it comes to injecting but my experience has been OK, I hardly feel it and it doesn’t inconvenience me. I have been injecting for one year, so early days yet compared to many on these forums.

I would advise not to worry too much until you receive your results and after that not to worry at all, you will be fine either way. I hope this helps, keep in touch, good luck!

regards,

Chris

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Andrew

That is a a really good question and one I am not sure I am able to truly answer for you.

I had never heard of LADA until my Diabetic Nurse suggested I might have it and sent me for blood tests. Mine came through in about 4 weeks and so I didn’t really prepare to receive the news. I had been diagnosed as T2 a couple of months earlier and had already switched into a routine of healthy eating and exercise (cycling is my thing).

It did upset me the moment she confirmed LADA and in the next breath asked me to stop Metformin and start injecting basal insulin straight away, so I guess you could think about how you might feel about receiving that news should you get it.

I imagine everyone is different when it comes to injecting but my experience has been OK, I hardly feel it and it doesn’t inconvenience me. I have been injecting for one year, so early days yet compared to many on these forums.

I would advise not to worry too much until you receive your results and after that not to worry at all, you will be fine either way. I hope this helps, keep in touch, good luck!

regards,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for this.

As I said I am preparing myself for 13th February next year when I'll be meeting with my DN to find out if I'm LADA or not.

It's best to prepare for the worse and not get a shock. I have already gone through so much during these last few weeks so nothing would really shock me anymore.

I just want to learn how you coped with daily Insulin injections, avoiding hypos etc.

I want to learn from you...

Andrew

Kelly95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Work, having diabetes and bloody mushrooms!
Hi Chris,

I get this with my quick acting insulin Novorapid. I'm fine with it for a long time then all of a sudden I'll take it and feel really off after and my heart rate will increase a little with that too.

I've never heard of LADA before :/

Kelly

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Andrew

regards,

Chris

Thank you for this Chris, apologies Ive not replied earlier.

I am fearing the worse and mentally preparing myself for whatever may happen.

I have had insulin therapy for just 13 days but when my bg levels were hitting the 5s and 6s, I was transferred to just Metformin 2g.

Now my fasting bg readings are hitting the 4s and 5s.

Can we discuss this further in a private message if you dont mind?

Cheers

Andrew