First finger prick

Paulm80

Right so diagnosed 2 and a half months ago -type 2! No medication hbac1 54, been low carbing lost loads of weight 15kg ! Haven’t been testing as don’t have a meter but after just going out for a meal and having breaded chicken and 3 onion rings - more carbs than I’ve had in ages, I’ve did a finger prick on my mother’s machine out of curiousity- 7.2. This is approx 80 mins after eating didn’t have time to wait the two hours. So what’s the verdict on that?
Thanks

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Right so diagnosed 2 and a half months ago -type 2! No medication hbac1 54, been low carbing lost loads of weight 15kg ! Haven’t been testing as don’t have a meter but after just going out for a meal and having breaded chicken and 3 onion rings - more carbs than I’ve had in ages, I’ve did a finger prick on my mother’s machine out of curiousity- 7.2. This is approx 80 mins after eating didn’t have time to wait the two hours. So what’s the verdict on that?
Thanks
Well, you really need to know what you were before the meal, to make a comparison.... But I'd say this is pretty good. (Mind you, that doesn't mean you should stop low carbing... This means you're doing well ON it. )

Reactions: Paulm80

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Thanks
Hi Paulm80,
Without knowing what the pre-prandial reading would have been it's difficult to tell if 7.2 is good - but at least it isn't that bad.

As you probably know the key numbers are:
1. No more than an increase from pre-prandial of 2.0
2. For a post-prandial, a reading of no more than 7.8 to be safe.

Now depending upon the GI of the carbs (high GI spike BG earlier) , and whether you had some alcohol with the meal (alcohol slows car absorption by making liver work on removing the alcohol first), it may be a good idea to test at 1hr, at 2hrs or at 3hrs.

So you may well have missed the BG peak.

The verdict is that unless you live with your mum, you should get your own meter. It doesn't need to be expensive of high tech. Just able to do the separate tests and have cheaper Test Strips.
I use a Tee2+ from SpiritHealthcare, another cheap one is the SD Code Free (which is available on Amazon).

Paulm80

Hi Paulm80,
Without knowing what the pre-prandial reading would have been it's difficult to tell if 7.2 is good - but at least it isn't that bad.

As you probably know the key numbers are:
1. No more than an increase from pre-prandial of 2.0
2. For a post-prandial, a reading of no more than 7.8 to be safe.

Now depending upon the GI of the carbs (high GI spike BG earlier) , and whether you had some alcohol with the meal (alcohol slows car absorption by making liver work on removing the alcohol first), it may be a good idea to test at 1hr, at 2hrs or at 3hrs.

So you may well have missed the BG peak.

The verdict is that unless you live with your mum, you should get your own meter. It doesn't need to be expensive of high tech. Just able to do the separate tests and have cheaper Test Strips.
I use a Tee2+ from SpiritHealthcare, another cheap one is the SD Code Free (which is available on Amazon).

No alcohol just a Diet Coke, yeah I will get my own Meter soon, just makes it a bit more real tho doesn’t it, thanks all for your feedback

Reactions: Antje77

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No alcohol just a Diet Coke, yeah I will get my own Meter soon, just makes it a bit more real tho doesn’t it, thanks all for your feedback

Yes, it makes it all real when you self test, but real is what you need to maintain motivation and tweak your normal meals accordingly.

Reactions: Antje77 and Paulm80

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2+ because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk. (applied at the check out stage)
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

The Tee2+ is here
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product-category/shop/tee2/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)

There are many meters on the market, but all have to pass the same accuracy standards before they can be marketed. It isn't the meters that are expensive - many are given away free. It is the test strips that cost the money, and as they are not interchangeable, the meter manufacturers make their money from the strips. So be careful to check the cost of the strips before buying any meter. They range in cost from about £8 to about £30 for 50.

D

Deleted member 308541

I use a Abbott Freestyle Lite meter that I got from Abbott's website as a freebie, I have found this to be a pretty accurate meter.

Paulm80

The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2+ because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk. (applied at the check out stage)
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

The Tee2+ is here
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product-category/shop/tee2/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)

There are many meters on the market, but all have to pass the same accuracy standards before they can be marketed. It isn't the meters that are expensive - many are given away free. It is the test strips that cost the money, and as they are not interchangeable, the meter manufacturers make their money from the strips. So be careful to check the cost of the strips before buying any meter. They range in cost from about £8 to about £30 for 50.

Cool thanks - I’ll save your post and buy one soon I promise

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cool thanks - I’ll save your post and buy one soon I promise
The sooner, the better. Yes, it makes it real, but then, it already is real, even if you don't have a meter, so... Better to just take the bull by the horns. Or the meter by the strips. And it is a great motivator...! After a while you'll start guessing what the results might be, and it's something to feel chuffed over if it's all good. Really... It's the best gift you can give yourself. :)