Fit -- but still had heart attack!

Signs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Type 2, 55, walk 3 miles every day and gym 3 times a week. All cholestrol and other numbers where they should be.

Despite that on 9th July I had a heart attack - I felt unwell at home (turned out to first minor attack), got into to see doc a few hours later who put me on an ECG and then called an ambulance to take me to A&E.

Just as they were hooking me up to the machine in A&E I had a biggie, taken to cath lab where I had a stent fitted (left artery descending). Was told later by cardio guy that they call it the widowmaker and only 1 in 20 survive so guess my luck was in that day.

When I was first diagnosed type 2 and warned of various complications including coronary artery stuff I thought yeah, yeah, I'm fit so I'll be fine.

A couple of points:
If coronary artery problems are common with type 2 why is there not routine screening at diagnosis and at regular intervals? Or is there and I didn't get it?

Secondly I'd urge anyone, no matter how fit they think they are, to visit the doc if they feel they have any symptons and get it checked out.

John

Reactions: 4 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad that you are OK.
I think that checking the arteries is important and I have late onset T1. I live in France and had a cardiac and arterial scan on diagnosis. I have arterial scans and stress tests every 2 years. I am relatively fit but nevertheless my diabetologist insists I have them (indeed she brought them forward before I ran in a marathon and wouldn't sign my fitness certificate (necessary for races in France) until I had had them done.
This was on the UK news this morning; perhaps the UK is getting more proactive.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-23579060

Reactions: 5 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
glad your around to help out with the advice mate, thanks

sunnshine1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to say that these checks wouldn't help Signs, as according to the BBC website you have to be 65 years of age (and us women don't count as we are six times less likely to have these problems)!

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
oh crikey! I worry terrible about heart attacks.. I was listening to my heart today through a stethescope... just for fun, mind you :)

Today I've started taking omega 3,6,9 (all in one thing.)
I have krill oil too but it's lost in the aftermath vortex of a house move. I want to get my heart strong and reliable. I hope I'm just overly cautious but /Signs post has made me think again.

So glad you survived those two /Signs... If you hadn't have been so fit in the outset you may not have, so that is one very good thing. It's a good job you were fit. I surely need more exercise.. I don't do any!

:woot:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is an ultrasound scan of the aorta (not the actual heart). My hubby had this test yesterday! It is now fully rolled out over the country, but as my hubby is not particularly at risk, he had to self refer. This was easy enough and he did it on-line. The reason he wanted it was because he saw my dad die very suddenly from a ruptured aorta, with no previous symptoms. It is known as the silent killer with only a 4% survival rate once it ruptures.

I also don't understand why there are no heart scans on offer to at risk diabetics. I am currently receiving an IV drug known as Herceptin, a belt and braces treatment to rid the body of any potential stray breast cancer cells. This can, in a few cases, cause heart damage. We are all routinely given a full heart scan every 3 to 4 months whilst on this drug, and if necessary referred immediately to a cardiologist. I wonder if a similar scan should be available to at risk diabetics?

Reactions: 2 people

Bubbatara

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad you better and also age is no factor

I'm 31 and T2D , heart attack also so I urge everyone to have regular screening and my chol is also at healthy level

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Smug health care professionals; pretense, pomposity and presumptuousness; people who have a disregard for other people's health and safety; being "fenced-in"; arbitrary authority; nonsensical rules; political correctness; stupidity that masquerades as profundity.
I, for one, also wonder why heart screening isn't automatically done upon T2 DB Dx. I recently reported what felt like heart-attack signs, and warnings, to my GP and will be going for a stress test soon.

For me, the symptoms were directly related to what I was eating, as I was still experimenting with foods and meter after my Dx.

I recall two incidences that were rally scary, one involving potatoes and one involving, non-natural peanut butter. I could just imagine what effects the starch/carbs, sugar and industrial oils were having on my heart.

Happily, my symptoms haven't occurred as a result of physical activities, so we know they are food related.

I did get some symptoms after receiving some stressful news, but, I had had some "bad" food earlier.

Take good care of your heart, folks, as we are most likely goners without it!

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, I'm T1 and had a heart attack at age 27.
Very scary at any age but especially when you're not exactly in the latter stages of you life! (hopefully!!)

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Smug health care professionals; pretense, pomposity and presumptuousness; people who have a disregard for other people's health and safety; being "fenced-in"; arbitrary authority; nonsensical rules; political correctness; stupidity that masquerades as profundity.
Very scary at any age but especially when you're not exactly in the latter stages of you life! (hopefully!!)

Wow. I couldn't imagine what that must have been like at such a young age. This disease is so very debilitating. I've been fortunate, I guess, to have been spared such experiences when I was that young. Most of the symptoms I had were from over-exertion, showing in muscle and spine problems, never the heart. It's only recently I've had such symptoms and not coincidentally, I'm sure, around the same time that I am diagnosed with DB.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, quite frankly it was rather terrifying. Especially since my father had died from a heart attack the previous year at the age of 60. It apparently runs in my family.

I do tend to think it would be advisable for those at higher risk, ie diabetics, to get screened for things like this so they can be 'caught' before they happen.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetic heart disease is the term given to heart disease in people who have diabetes. It isn't a 'special type' of heart disease but an increased risk. People with diabetes are more likely to get one of the several types of disease compared with those who are not diabetic.

There is a page about it here: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/dhd/

I had a heart problem more than ten years before I got diabetes. In fact, it was in one of my annual CHD checkups that they spotted the diabetes. I didn't present any symptoms. The diabetes clinic and the CHD clinic are combined at my GP practice because all the blood tests and BP tests etc are the same. With diabetes you also get the podiatry and retinopathy screening and, if anything is suspected about the heart, presumably you get sent off for an ECG or in my case, an echogram.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A couple of points:
If coronary artery problems are common with type 2 why is there not routine screening at diagnosis and at regular intervals? Or is there and I didn't get it?

Secondly I'd urge anyone, no matter how fit they think they are, to visit the doc if they feel they have any symptons and get it checked out.

I quite agree John, it should be routine for all diabetics.

How awful for you Picklebean, hope you've fully recovered from your ordeal.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Glad you pulled through l am the worst for being checked took me around 2 yrs of getting worse palpitations to have them checked. Not cause l was worried l thought l had menopause and that is down as a symptom so why hassle about it.

I have just had an echo and exercise test after a 24hr halter showed ectopic beats and tachycardia. Both are nothing to be worried about thankfully and consultant agreed as they are getting better was out of control diabetes, stress and unfitness before l was diagnosed. Nothing to do with menopause still have that "joy" to come :oops:

Only comment on the echo they teach the echo people very weird way of doing their work, uncomfy for them and patient. Told her to go see Mike Martin (top animal cardiologist and friend) and he will teach her to do it right... when he finishes laughing at her position.

taffeykins

Hi I hope your well, at the age of 22 I was told I had t1 then shortly after I had a pacemaker put it and now at the age of 27 I'm awaiting my 6th heart procedure even going on statins and heart meds my diabetes are still attacking my body at a harsh rate. I can't go on any of the nhs lifestyle course due to the diabetes and being a heart patient as I'm classed as a high risk which I can appreciate but how on earth are we meant to move forward if even the nhs won't let us try to improve our quality of life, I'm sorry I'm having a rant but take your doctors classic eat 5 fruit or veg a day? ......... That's ok for a non diabetic and if you can graze on veg but not the fruit.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App