Flavoured dark chocolate

Roxanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since getting back on low carb I have been eating one square of lindt 85% a day. I don't know if this is bad, but it's definitely an improvement on the 200g bars of milk chocolate I would eat in one sitting before Anyway, was just wondering if there are any flavoured 85% or above that are flavoured, like orange or mint maybe?

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Roxanne

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never found any of high cocoa 85% or above that are also flavoured; have looked around a few times, for Lindt, Green & Black's, also own bands in places like Lidl, Aldi and Asda. They have some interesting, flavoured varieties but they're all lower cocoa and too high carb for what I allow myself; for that reason I've never tried them to find out whether the taste is worth the extra carbs.

Reactions: Roxanne

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Quite a few members have commented that a square of high percentage dark choc after a meal is fine for them but that the flavoured chocs even the dark stuff is just too high in carbs.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They have some interesting, flavoured varieties but they're all lower cocoa and too high carb for what I allow myself; for that reason I've never tried them to find out whether the taste is worth the extra carbs.

Although high-cocoa dark chocolate is supposedly an acquired taste, I really like it, and would probably find the addition of orange flavoring to be "too much." On the other hand, I was on a VLC diet for more than six months before even trying the Lindt and I think by then my palette had become very sensitive to carbs.

Reactions: Salvia

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Although high-cocoa dark chocolate is supposedly an acquired taste, I really like it, and would probably find the addition of orange flavoring to be "too much." On the other hand, I was on a VLC diet for more than six months before even trying the Lindt and I think by then my palette had become very sensitive to carbs.

I was always the odd one out because from a very young child I preferred dark chocolate over milk, (or any of those flavoured chocs that you get in large sharing tins around Christmas time); in those days the best we had was a Cadbury variety, called "Bournville", though by comparison with Lindt et al it is high carb! A few times the boyfriend-of-the-time was completely mystified that I didn't immediately consume the box of milk chocolate presented, (though one accepted the gift graciously, of course).

Prior to low carb living, I hadn't touched any form of chocolate or 'sweets' for donkey's years - not a dietary decision, I just didn't ever think of it. It's only since joining this forum and reading so many posts about lovely chocolate of the 'dark' variety, that I have tried it again - to the point I now think I must knock it on the head, because it is fast becoming too much of a favourite!

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Prior to low carb living, I hadn't touched any form of chocolate or 'sweets' for donkey's years - not a dietary decision, I just didn't ever think of it. It's only since joining this forum and reading so many posts about lovely chocolate of the 'dark' variety, that I have tried it again - to the point I now think I must knock it on the head, because it is fast becoming too much of a favourite!

That's funny, it mirrors my experience. Pre-diagnosis, I never had a "sweet tooth" except perhaps as a big eater of fruit (I could easily eat four or five clementines in a row). I never liked chocolate much, and almost never ate ice cream or sweet desserts in general. About a month ago however, I started having that one square of Lindt 85% with my coffee after lunch and it is lovely. I don't think you need to "knock it on the head" unless it triggers too much of a craving for more!!!! In my case, just that one square is fairly overwhelming, I think I would find a second square a bit sickening....

Somewhere else on this forum, @Kristin251 used the term "carb creep" and I think this must be the kind of thing that one needs to be very careful about. I'm now nearly 11 months into the low-carb diet and things have been going so well....

Cap'n M

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
EU27, CO2 Global Warming Scam, Theresa May, Comrade Boris Johnson.
My staple chocolate is www.montezumas.co.uk Absolute Black 100% Cocoa [Sugars , <0.5%], Waitrose £2.60. They do some flavoured varieties including Dark Chocolate Orange & Geranium, which my wife likes, but I would avoid as its 25% sugar. I've not found flavoured chocolate a viable option.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think you need to "knock it on the head" unless it triggers too much of a craving for more!!!! In my case, just that one square is fairly overwhelming, I think I would find a second square a bit sickening....

Somewhere else on this forum, @Kristin251 used the term "carb creep" and I think this must be the kind of thing that one needs to be very careful about. I'm now nearly 11 months into the low-carb diet and things have been going so well....

It's the carb craving and/or carb creep that bothers me - such easy traps to fall into, and so very hard to get out of!!

Think I'd best stop there, coz I can feel a choccy urge coming on ....... & I've not had me tea yet! :(

with apologies to @Roxanne for the slight diversion - hope there's some info amongst it that might be of help ......

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
My staple chocolate is www.montezumas.co.uk Absolute Black 100% Cocoa [Sugars , <0.5%], Waitrose £2.60. They do some flavoured varieties including Dark Chocolate Orange & Geranium, which my wife likes, but I would avoid as its 25% sugar. I've not found flavoured chocolate a viable option.
I bought another 2 of these just today. For me nothing comes close, sometimes I re-read the ingredients to make sure they are not cheating, I still am not 100% sure as it tastes so good.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets

Roxanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all!

Thinking about it perhaps I am better off without the flavourings. At the moment one square is enough for me as it is quite bitter, anything that makes it taste sweeter might kick off cravings.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You do know you are letting everyone know about these gems, could drive the price up.
Oh Bum! - good point I hadnt thought about that. Note to self, bulk order required!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For a flavoured chocolate treat, how about chocolate orange mousse? It's very easy and absolutely delicious.

Melt in a bowl over a pan of simmering water 1 x 100g bar 85% chocolate with 1 small tub double cream, 4dsp Splenda and 1dsp orange extract (the type made of alcohol and orange oil, not oil and orange oil as in my experience it's not as nice).
Stir, then using an electric whisk beat in a whole egg, whisking until it's cool.
Whisk in 2 tubs of plain cream cheese - I use Essential Waitrose as it's cheaper and lower carb than Philly. My tubs are the 250g ones, but if I use Philly I use the 180g ones.
Refrigerate.

Serves probably six as a pudding, but I split it into four......

If you refrigerate it en masse you can roll it into truffles.

Divided by four, less than 10g CHO per serving (precise value will differ according to brand of chocolate and cream cheese).

Divided into truffles - well, one truffle is a carb-free health food, surely?

:)

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Theres an Oddbins just around the corner from me that apparently stocks Montezumas stuff, guess where I'm going at lunch time!?!?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The easiest way to get flavoured choc in your flavour of choice is to melt a bar of your chosen choc in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, I also add some coconut oil in too ( if I add more than about 1tbsp Ill also add some 100% cocoa powder, otherwise setting can be more difficult) Add the flavouring you want - I use Star Kay or Nialsson Massey pure extracts if I’m adding a flavouring), chopped nuts (if wanted), sweetener of choice (I dont bother). Pour into silicone container (mini muffin cases or ice cubes trays are good but larger cases are fine too - you just need to break the choc into pieces once set) Put in fridge / freezer to set, wait a bit until set

Roxanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The easiest way to get flavoured choc in your flavour of choice is to melt a bar of your chosen choc in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, I also add some coconut oil in too ( if I add more than about 1tbsp Ill also add some 100% cocoa powder, otherwise setting can be more difficult) Add the flavouring you want - I use Star Kay or Nialsson Massey pure extracts if I’m adding a flavouring), chopped nuts (if wanted), sweetener of choice (I dont bother). Pour into silicone container (mini muffin cases or ice cubes trays are good but larger cases are fine too - you just need to break the choc into pieces once set) Put in fridge / freezer to set, wait a bit until set
This sounds lovely, will give it a try, thanks!