Flour substitute

Solaire

Type of diabetes
Carer
I have always made my own biscuits, so thought I would make some for my diabetic husband with very little sugar...... so tried making them with almond flour rather than the usual plain flour ...... they tasted horrible, not using that again and we binned them ..... so any ideas for alternatives to regular flour which don't have a horrible taste please ? ....

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Almond and coconut flour can’t be substituted directly for traditional flour as you have discovered. I have made these, and they are lovely, I add a dash of lemon essence to make them extra lemony!

Reactions: Melgar and BigAlan

Solaire

Type of diabetes
Carer
Thank you both. I am in UK and one link won’t work and the other led me to a website where I could buy cakes and bread, but again, not in UK ‍♀️

Solaire

Type of diabetes
Carer
Ok, well I have found swerve brown sugar on Amazon UK, plus a non sugar maple syrup ...... I will try those for my homemade ginger biscuits with normal flour and see what happens ....... he only eats one a day with our afternoon coffee, but at least these will cut the sugar out and hope they taste like normal :)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you both. I am in UK and one link won’t work and the other led me to a website where I could buy cakes and bread, but again, not in UK ‍♀️
I’m in UK and both links worked for me fine, I’ve never used the site that @JoKalsbeek posted but I checked it out and it’s a recipe site can’t see any selling of things. The other site that @Rachox posted is a site I use a lot and has some fantastic recipes of all types not just cakes & bread.

They do have links in the recipes and info pointing you to where you can buy the ingredients maybe that’s what’s you’ve seen?

• Agree
Reactions: Rachox

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
This flour is outstanding! Expensive though. You must follow the recipe precisely when it calls for metric weights. Any variation will result in failure.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That’s shame you can’t access the lemon shortbread recipe. Here’s my notes about the recipe with a couple of observations I made.

IMG_8902.jpg

Reactions: lovinglife

BigAlan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stupid people.

"Intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people are not offended."

Author unkown
Almond and coconut flour can’t be substituted directly for traditional flour as you have discovered. I have made these, and they are lovely, I add a dash of lemon essence to make them extra lemony!
It opened for me. Guess what I'm doing later??