Flu and pneumonia jabs

Moi C

:!: I have just read the response re Flu jabs. I had mine last Thursday and have not felt too good at all. I had just been speaking to my work colleague saying that my bloods were around 12 the whole of the weekend and then read some of your responses, obviously the reason for my feeling unwell. however when i went for my jab i walked in was told to roll up my sleeve whilst standing up! was given the jab and ferried out the door! Some compassion i dont think!

moi,

descartesmum

Now children, play nice and ignore the troll.

I've had the jab and the pneumonia one a couple of years ago. I would rather be safe than sorry.

Now that my baby has left the nest (yay!) I am alone and want to stay as healthy as I can.

Carol

davidevans604

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
These jabs aren't being offered for nothing, they cost the tax payer a great deal of money! It's better to feel a little under the weather for a day or two than to put one's health at serious risk. As in any illness, it might be necessary to adjust insulin doses though.

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
I have had proper flu once in my life, along with a bunch of asthma-aided respiratory infections over the years - by far and away REAL flu can make you feel like dying.

I was actually pretty glad to be given the jab, Ihad to see my doc about a persistent cough and mentioned whether or not I ought to get one (being newly diagnosed t2 diabetic and asthmatic for many years) and he just said "roll up your sleeve" ... very good natured and although I usually HATE injections passionately (understanding that very few people actually like them, but you know what I mean) - it was relatively simple. Didn't get asked to stick around and was allowed to go out to my car straightaway.

My arm still hurts now, to touch, even to have a duvet laying on it - but having had almost a month of life given over to real flu some time ago, where everything (my hair, eyes, teeth all all) hurt - I'd rather have this pain for a shorter amount of time and be able to carry on my life.

As to the injected virus mutating, isn't it a dead virus?

And yes of course there is the chance that you'll catch a different strain ... but if the opportunity to avoid the most likely danger is available then I will take it.

A couple of people have politely given their reasons for not having the jab and congratulations to them for their honesty and politic ... isn't it nice to debate without some idiot standing up and yelling "I'm right, there is no other answer" :)

Pace, J/.x

tyroneshoelaces

I've only just come across this thread and it's been an amusing and insightful read. It reminds me a little of the MMR hullaballoo, so neatly encapsulated by Guardian columnist Ben Goldacre in his Bad Science column - you can read one particularly good one here: http://www.badscience.net/2008/08/the-medias-mmr-hoax/

That particular scare was of great interest to me as the father of two young children: all along I had a (sorry) gut feeling that there was something unlikely about the claims made by Wakefield, but all we really got (mostly) for and against him was through a hysterical media (I speak as a journalist of sorts myself). Goldacre covers Tony Blair's awful (non) contribution to the debate, and I recall when it was raging thinking 'why isn't the government coming all out to assuage everyone's fears rather than simply trying to say it was every parent's choice' (which it is, of course, but it has to be an informed one).
On the subject of the flu jabs, I would never presume to tell anyone to do something they don't want or have to do. I do think the original statement about getting the jab was, however, a fairly typical 'don't let the man pump chemicals in your arm, man' response - I heard a lot of this around the time of the MMR scare from otherwise rational people and the result is that our kids have been exposed to something potentially fatal for no real reason at all. The poster compounded his or her hysterical reaction by suggesting that reasoned argument against his or her point of view was simply 'political correctness' - which has been usefully defined by Polly Toynbee as an empty right-wing slur that serves only to elevate its user. But much of the debate has been interesting. I have a flu jab coming up next week and will gladly have it.
Sorry for going on at length.

Thirsty

jem, I've had man flu (a cold) for a couple of weeks.

It's not pleasant, but it isn't influenza; I can get out of bed, make myself something to eat and then eat it.

I've had "true flu" three times during my 42 years of existence, and can assure you all that it's a very nasty disease.

Sniffles? Pah!

Cough? Kids' stuff.

Blocked sinuses? A walk in the park.

True Flu? Aching bones, painful guts, loss of appetite, fever, high temperature, sweats, shivers, shakes and inability to do anything other than cower beneath the duvet.

Get the jab!

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
awww poor thirsty ... I'm outnumber ing my house by the male of the species so I am familiar with this "disorder" you refer to ;)

yep flu is really nasty when you have the real thing - even the two times I've had bronchitus and a bunch of really nasty viruses ... nothing like the real flu! Even when I had my multiple itus-fest earlier on this year (I'm not gonna name 'em all - it wasn't nice) - it still wasn't as bad as the flu!

I'm glad I've had mine - pain in arm or not - and will go back next year (presuming I'm still around and haven't been mutated by weird flu-jab-itus-alien-invasion-did-you-see-that-episode-of-the-xfiles-when-they-got-blahblahblah ;) haha)

:)

x

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
A Love Story

I shall seek and find you.

I shall take you to bed and control you.

I will make you ache, shake and sweat until you grunt and groan.

I will make you beg for mercy.

I will exhaust you to the point that you will be relieved when I leave you.

And you will be weak for days.

All my love,

The Flu

davidevans604

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm very lucky in that my diabetes is well controlled. I hardly ever test my blood, but I do watch what I eat! However, it's important to remember that it's the overall picture that's important; an occasional peak in ones blood sugar is not going to kill one! But if I'm ill, then I check, because I know it's going to be higher and that I'm going to have to increase my insulin to cope with it. Not worth getting neurotic over though!

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I had the flu jab during an epidemic 35 years ago. I immediately went down with flu & was off work for 3 weeks. I vowed, "Never again!"

In 2000 when I was diagnosed with D2 I was advised to have the jab as I was now high risk. No reaction at all.

I have it every year since, & the pneumonia jab. No reaction. No flu. No pneumonia. My wife complains of a sore arm, but she was still able to swim & gym.

I had the flu jab Friday & played tennis Saturday. My BS was up somewhat yesterday (Monday,) & I was tired. 4.8 this morning, so its cleared.

Cointreau

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Checking my blood.....
Not had the flu jab yet - all so overwhelming

ps love the borg and pooh!

Rach79

Dislikes
Poverty, violence, manipulative or materialistic people and too much bad weather such as wind and rain.
Thirsty said:
backpackergt said:
Don't touch the flu jab!! Aren't we sticking enough chemicals in our body already, never had the flu jab i always refuse it, never had flu or much of a cold, do plenty of exercise, eat lots of fruit & veg & drink red wine.....in moderation. Seems to work just fine.

Hello and welcome to our new troll.

Kindly post your bullsh1t elsewhere; nobody here wants to read it.

This person was just trying to help. I personally choose against the flu jab for the same reasons - it has mercury in it which is poisonous to the body and the one time I did have it I was seriously ill - any other times I've been fine.

Rach79

Dislikes
Poverty, violence, manipulative or materialistic people and too much bad weather such as wind and rain.
gaynor said:
Can we all please remember whilst posting our replies we do have some children on this forum. Maybe the language should be toned down a bit!

Very good point.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
with everything in life,there are no definate right and wrong answers,
we all have to do what we are happy to live with and we all have a choice in what we do,we have to respect one anothers chioces,i would have had the flu jab but cant as im allergic to eggs so was advised against it,what each of us choose to do has to be respected :)

bonerp

i had the flu jab day before yesterday and feel flipping rubbish today. yesterday had high bgs and couldnt get them down. Feel like have angina and throaty blockages. yuk.

Had it before but not felt this ruff! Not sleeping well either - well less well than before lol.

might need to have half a day off today and go to the pub instead (medicinal whiskey you understand!)

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
awww ,hope ya feel better soon paul xx :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
backpackergt wrote:
Don't touch the flu jab!! Aren't we sticking enough chemicals in our body already, never had the flu jab i always refuse it, never had flu or much of a cold, do plenty of exercise, eat lots of fruit & veg & drink red wine.....in moderation. Seems to work just fine.

Dear Backpacker!
Chemicals. what chemicals?
A vaccine is not a chemical. It's not even prepared in a chem-lab.
Do check before making such broad statements. luckily most of the readers of this forum have the sense and knowledge to ignore such silly stuff.
Vaccines are a wonderful way to protect a population from life threatening infections. scaring parents off the MMR vaccine probably cost a few children their lives.
there is a risk with all vaccinations, but it is HUGELY out weighed by the advantages.
If you chose not to take the offer of the vaccine, that's up to you
But I don't think you are wise. If you are in contact with loads of people, as in a large company, a school or freequent bus trips, you are at risk of infection. Unless you are relying on everyone else being immunised.

SweetGuy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I've had the dreaded jab and I've now got a swollen red patch on my arm like I have been stung by a wasp or something. :( Been feeling rough all day with a nice high BG as well. Apart from that everything is just dandy LOL

blackbird

I've had my flu jab this year and had no problems except for a high bg the same day, which is a small price to pay if it keeps flu at bay. I've had flu three times, the last time was 18 years ago, I can still remember feeling the worst I've ever felt, it's not something I want to repeat.

Berbatov

Dislikes
To date GP's with uncaring attitudes, whom think they are diabetic consultants.
I have had flu jab first time this year about 4 weeks ago, and no side effects to date, maybe a very slight fever the first 2 nights.

Then I was offered the pneumonnia, almost pressured, so I said I'd think about it. Thanks to the advice on these forums, and others experiances, I had it done 3 days ago. Again no side effects to date, arm ached when put up straight, but again nothing major, ache now gone.

:)