Just got my flu jag on 5th nov 2010 arm was ok but I found my blood
Sugars went up and I slept all day and the next morning there was
High levels of keytones in urine I found myself with a visit to hospital
Even though the blood tests were all clear and sent home and what
A surprise keytones were back can't win I got flu jag last year with
No problems how's everyone else this year any other probs

michelereid2002

Re: Flu jab 2010.

I got my flu jag on 5th nov and I paid dearly for it had it at 2.15 pm later that day I ended up out cold on
Couch blood sugar went threw roof woke up at 3.30am next day urine showed high levels of keytones
And had a lovely visit to a@e to sort me out so take care when getting it

DazG

Thankfully I only felt ill on the day of the Jab, splitting headache and felt completely drained, bit worn out the following day too but a lot better so really glad I had it done, your arm does get a bit sore tho doesnt it :roll:

Pneumonia jab next, great :lol:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.

Got my flu jab - no fluey side effects but caught a cold in the waiting room! I have just had my pneumonia jab - same sore arm as for the flu jab but no other effects. They told me it was effective for 5 years - I have heard different opinions about this here. Now I've got an appointment to get my retinas examined - for the first time so I'm nervous about it as I don't know how long I had diabetes before I was diagnosed - I hadn't had a blood test for years.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*

No side effects for me other than it pushes my BP up to around 140/80 for about a week to 10 days again as it does each year... I usually run around 120/65 with medication.
I found that if you massage the injection site for a good 5 mins to help distribution, you avoid a sore upper arm.

jules417

Re: Go and get your Flu jabs - now !!

daisy1 said:
I got one last year and felt it had been a waste of time. I felt ill after the swine flu jab and had a very sore arm for days and wonder if the new combined vaccine would have the same effect. I wonder if a well-controlled type 2 really needs to have it? It's been years since I had the flu anyway - since I was a child I think and that was a very long time ago :(

went for my check up today and was offered the flu jab thought I would check on here to see what people thought. I too am a well controlled type 2 and was wondering if I really do need it. I have never had flu and hardly ever get a cold. I got my pneumonia jab done though as its a one off. I am 48 years old.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.

jules - to update I decided finally to have the jab as my endo recommended diabetics have it. I also had the pneumonia jab - similarly recommended. I have got a cold now and my levels are shooting up so I can just imagine what flu would do :shock:

jules417

Thanks for that Daisy - still undecided - dn said it was up to me - :roll: hope you feel better soon and your levels come down!

anniep

Colds and flu are very different things.

You may not get flu very often, but you only need to get it once to be very very ill. Unreported every year are many deaths from flu, they are mainly the older and weaker memebrs of the population and those with underlying health conditions.

viv1969

jules417 said:
Thanks for that Daisy - still undecided - dn said it was up to me - :roll: hope you feel better soon and your levels come down!

Hi Jules, I really hope you make your decision based on your own wishes and that you don't get pressured by the medical fraternity. I personally have always declined the 'flu jab, and this was the first year that I haven't been given the hard sell at the surgery.

carnabychick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi everyone i had my flu jab on Tues, felt fine afterwards and that night. However yesterday afternoon starting to get a splitting headache and generally feeling ****, got home from work n was asleep from 7pm!! Had to ring in sick today as head still pounding and still feel bit **** :(
Hopin though thats the worst of it and will be ok tomorrow.

Shirl

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.

As diabetics, flu can easily kill us. We only need to get it once.
We're 6 times as likely to be hospitalised, and deaths among diabetics are 25% higher during a flu epidemic.

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals

They think I had undiagnosed diabetes when I got severe pneumonia in Canada 2 years ago. I nearly died. Was on antibiotics every day all day for 5 days straight bp was over 230/160 for days. Couldn't breath and they had to drain my lungs etc. Trust me I get the flu jag and pneumo jag whenever its offered. It might not offer 100% but its absolutely better than nothing at all. Until you have had pneumonia and been very very ill it doesn't sound scary.

anniep

It is easy to say I don't have the jab whne you have never had the illness. I had a severe dose of flu, in my pre-diabetic days, during a previous epidemic and I was very, very ill, I had 3 weeks off work and was not 'right' for a long time I was left very tired and weepy for weeks. I do not want to risk repeating that and so if can be offered any help against getting the flu again there is no problem in taking it.

The medical proffession know how serious flu is for those of us with other health conditions, however well controlled we are, and I am not suprised they try to persuade people to have the jab, they want to protect us from serious illness.

A

Anonymous

Had my flu jab a month ago. Thankfully no side effects. In earlier posts on here we were discussing whether the swine flu vaccine would be included? Well, just to say that it was in mine.

Joely.

Pef

Flu Jab 2010

Hi im type 1 and have been for 21 years now,

I have had several occaisions where flu jabs have seemed to throw my sugars for a day or two. But it never lasts long.
I dont know wether its coincidence or if there is link with some flu jabs. Does any one know if there is a link?

Pef

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Re: Flu Jab 2010

Pef said:
Hi im type 1 and have been for 21 years now,

I have had several occaisions where flu jabs have seemed to throw my sugars for a day or two. But it never lasts long.
I dont know wether its coincidence or if there is link with some flu jabs. Does any one know if there is a link?

Pef

As far as I am aware there is no definite link. It is certainly not listed as a known side effect, mostly it is anecdotal as here. Had the same thing myself one year....just put it down to other things, stress maybe ?

The flu jab is usually well tolerated and it is generally regarded as a safe vaccine.

You may feel sore at the site of injection.

Some patients suffer aches and pains which may last up to 2-3 days.

Allergic reactions to the flu jab are rare.

(Source. DiabeteSuffolk)

Pef

sorry hope my message was not seen as anti flu jab. I posted it as an answer to another thread and it was moved here as it refers to flu vaccine.

I am a total believer that the flu vaccine is safe and was not trying to question that. Just wondered if the jab or perhaps something to do with the jab could effect levels.

I would say to anyone with the offer of free vaccination to any disease that can be as dangerous as flu can is dont turn it down. Beleive me if you get a real dose of the flu it is far worse than the minor aches and pains you can get from the vaccine.

I also had the pneumonia vaccine a week ago and have had no side effects whatsoever.

Vaccines do work get them if you can :D

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.

Pef, your post was moved here simply because it was the more appropriate thread for your post. We try and keep major topics in one area for ease of reading. You were notified in a pm.

Sugarless sue.
Forum Monitor.

DazG

Just had Pneumonia Jab and was told its a one off with no boosters etc needed.