Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Arrived nice and early and was called in early, the nurse said "hi Mr. ______."
"Your here for your flu jab because you're diabetic!"
I replied, "i am not diabetic!"
"But your on my screen as diabetic" she paused, " what does other mean?"
And so on, until I was giving her a lesson on how to treat Hypoglycaemia.
It was an appointment that lasted twenty minutes, ten over my time limit!

Once again I am astounded at the lack of knowledge, not just about my condition, but about some of our health practitioners. She believed that low fat yoghurt was good for you!

I have made an appointment with my new GP (again) to enlighten him on my weirdness!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your story reminded my of a conversation with the blood letting nurse. She is not very high ranking. She asked me what I was going to have for lunch and I said I was thinking of chicken tikka. She said that the thought of that made her feel sick but maybe I wouldn't like what she was going to have. Muesli and yogurt apparently.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Your story reminded my of a conversation with the blood letting nurse. She is not very high ranking. She asked me what I was going to have for lunch and I said I was thinking of chicken tikka. She said that the thought of that made her feel sick but maybe I wouldn't like what she was going to have. Muesli and yogurt apparently.

She did say to me, that porridge is such a good breakfast to have, until I told her, that the last time I ate porridge, I had a blood glucose level of 20 +!
That was seven years ago!
Now, only in double figures maybe!
But I'm not going there!

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
She did say to me, that porridge is such a good breakfast to have, until I told her, that the last time I ate porridge, I had a blood glucose level of 20 +!
That was seven years ago!
Now, only in double figures maybe!
But I'm not going there!
Yes, I'm still getting that too.

Reactions: Lamont D

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
They just don't seem to get that all the carbs in porridge caused a BS spike - you do wonder!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Porridge is low GI and for many people, fine.

The point I was making was that for some if not most diabetics and those with glucose/insulin intolerance issues, porridge isn't fine and is detrimental to our future health. Low GI or medium GI or high GI, to some of us the labels don't matter, they should not be recommended for us! Carbs are carbs and should be avoided as much as possible.
The reason behind the carb advice is glucose for our brain and depending on how much we need, we can usually get it from glucogenesis from our liver. The body can adapt to living without the need for carbs to provide the glucose.
The nurse was ignorant of the effect carbs have on diabetics or me!

carolw60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I also thought oats were ok. I have porridge regularly, made with water (yuk! you might be thinking), served with a little fruit compote; didn't think it would cause any problems. Should I be changing my favourite breakfast menu?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I also thought oats were ok. I have porridge regularly, made with water (yuk! you might be thinking), served with a little fruit compote; didn't think it would cause any problems. Should I be changing my favourite breakfast menu?
Hi Carol,
Unfortunately, I can't say wether you should or not.
But the breakfast you have may be healthy for someone that's not prediabetic, but you have to find out by testing, how those foods effect you.
I couldn't even have a spoonful without sending my blood glucose levels very high.
The amount of carbs and sugars, which all turn into glucose, could be too high for you.
Keeping your blood glucose levels to somewhere near normal levels should be your goal and reducing your Hba1c levels to prevent you from becoming diabetic.
You have a chance to nip this in the bud by gaining the knowledge and understanding the benefits of eating what is healthy for you!
A low carb higher fat diet has been shown to work to reach your goals.
Have a read around the low carb forum, also the success stories forum.
There is great information and knowledgeable diabetics on here, who have gone through what you are now!
Take that chance, and you will be forever grateful.
Best wishes and welcome to the forum.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
You know what the problem is? None of these health professionals have diabetes. I get all annoyed - I should say really really annoyed - especially when someone who does not have diabetes - health professional or not - tells me what I should be doing based on something they read - I'll take the experience of fellow diabetics over a practitioners conventional wisdom any day :)

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
I occasionally eat Porridge made with hot water and when it's slightly cool I have a few spoonfuls of Greek Yoghurt mixed in with it.