Flu Jab

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The diabetes nurse told me a few weeks ago that I was eligible for a free flu jab. Is everyone who has diabetes eligible to get a flu jab on the NHS?

You can the jab a at Boots the Chemist stores. For those not eligible for a free jab the cost is about £12. My company is providing vouchers to get a flu jab at Boots, so I have applied for a voucher to get one just in case.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is everyone who has diabetes eligible to get a flu jab on the NHS?
Yes I think so. Mine's booked at my surgery for next Monday.

After I was diagnosed aged 11 my GP insisted that my whole family had the jab because of my diabetes! I don't think we ever did manage to wrestle my brother into the doctor's to have it, though.........!

;)

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, it's free for us. I usually go to the GP surgery but this time I decided to book an appointment at Boots - for free - so you've got a choice.

Reactions: SimonCrox

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The diabetes nurse told me a few weeks ago that I was eligible for a free flu jab. Is everyone who has diabetes eligible to get a flu jab on the NHS?

You can the jab a at Boots the Chemist stores. For those not eligible for a free jab the cost is about £12. My company is providing vouchers to get a flu jab at Boots, so I have applied for a voucher to get one just in case.
I always have a flu jab at my local surgery, the one year I disn't I got the flu really bad, bed bound for 4 days and my sugar levels were all over the place - better to be safe than sorry! xx

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m getting my free one at my surgery this Saturday, but I took my asthmatic daughter to get her free one at Boots before she left for Uni last month. My son and husband don’t qualify for free ones, my hubby won’t go near a needle unless he’s about to die so he’s never had one :joyful: My son I’ve paid for one for him ever since he had flu during a winter holiday a few years ago. He started at Uni Sept 16 and was so glad I insisted he had one before he left home as he was the only one who stayed well in his shared house when the others all fell ill with flu one week!

Reactions: Keesha
D

Deleted Account

Many pharmacies are now providing flu jabs.
IN addition to Boots, I could have got one at my local Co-op pharmacy and Sainsburys.
the local ones seem to be drop-in which, for me, is far more convenient than making an appointment at my GP surgery and then waiting around because they are always running late.

Reactions: Keesha

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get mine at boots as I can just go in when I'm passing on a weekend. My surgery do sessions that are through the week only - no good for me as by time I pay a carer for my son and travel expenses it over £30 - I did mention this at the surgery when they did a questionnaire as I'm sure the demographic of people with both T1 and T2 means there are lots like me that for whatever reason weekday visits to the surgery is difficult- fell on deaf ears though :(

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
he was the only one who stayed well in his shared house when the others all fell ill with flu one week!

That's interesting and good news. My cousin works in tertiary education, it's called fresher's flu and happens every September/October. So definitely worth going for.

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm in the US, and the clinic I got to for my health care is offering them for free. I have an appointment for one on the 18th. My Mom has her yearly physical on 10/30 so she will be getting hers then if they have the vaccine in.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had mine this morning while having routine blood tests. The nurse said they are doing them earlier this year, and that the vaccine she used for me had the "Brisbane strain" to combat the nasty Australian virus. For what its worth, I also read in the news today that the vaccine is more effective when administered in the morning :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Can anyone tell me if the flu jab for at risk people uses a live virus?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Can anyone tell me if the flu jab for at risk people uses a live virus?
No. It doesn't. It contains an inactivated (i.e. killed) virus.

But it makes your arm hurt. Mine does after the one I had this morning.

Reactions: Ixarix

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
No. It doesn't. It contains an inactivated (i.e. killed) virus.

Thank you. Not a fan of the live virus jabs as I once had a bad reaction but will now make an appointment to have the jab if it is not too late.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had mine this morning while having routine blood tests. The nurse said they are doing them earlier this year, and that the vaccine she used for me had the "Brisbane strain" to combat the nasty Australian virus. For what its worth, I also read in the news today that the vaccine is more effective when administered in the morning :)
Yes we were told this year’s vaccine had four strains not three as usual. One is the Australian one.
PS my appt is 10.30am :)

Reactions: poshtotty

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Usually after my flu jab it hurts to lie on that side to sleep for a couple of nights, plus raising that arm is sore for a while. Mildly gutted now that my appointment is in the afternoon.......! ;)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not a fan of the live virus jabs as I once had a bad reaction
Mr S had a reaction to the swine flu vaccine a few years ago, and since then he hasn't had the standard flu jab in case it happens again, on the nurse's advice. I'm wondering what was in it that made him poorly. He hasn't had flu in the years I've known him, so fingers crossed it stays that way!

Reactions: Guzzler

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mr S had a reaction to the swine flu vaccine a few years ago, and since then he hasn't had the standard flu jab in case it happens again, on the nurse's advice. I'm wondering what was in it that made him poorly. He hasn't had flu in the years I've known him, so fingers crossed it stays that way!
I think I’m right in saying all seasonal flu vaccines have contained the swine flu variation since the outbreak in the uk, so it’s probably wise Mr S avoids it.

Reactions: Freema