Flu Shot

D

Deleted member 308541

I had my fluvax shot in April, when the new stuff became available,

Been having it for years without any side effects.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
No waiting. Everyone has an appointment time. In and out in a few minutes normally. Its the appointments you have to wait for.
Same with my GP. We have to make an appointment, so that is exactly what I am doing tomorrow

Reactions: Bluetit1802

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I only get a little achy and just feel a little under the weather for a couple of days, nothing much. This could be because I suffer from arthritis and Fibromyalgia. The jab seems to kick off the fibro flare

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've never had one and never will. I've seen so many people who have them are so ill after.
i've never had one either. i prefer not to use pharmaceuticals unless i have to, and so far, only one mild bout of flu since my diagnosis four years ago, and that wasn't during winter.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
i've never had one either. i prefer not to use pharmaceuticals unless i have to, and so far, only one mild bout of flu since my diagnosis four years ago, and that wasn't during winter.

I totally agree I think the more you take stuff like that your body can't fight things itself. I've had flu once I was in my early 20's and not diabetic. I am hardly ever ill.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had mine last Saturday, Had Flu back in 1999, not an experience I want the repeat in a hurry, ended up on Steroids, and was on the verge of being admitted to hospital

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
My flu jab is on Saturday have it every year and I've had puemonia jab a few years back, I used to have regular chest infections every winter when I was working, bronchitis,pleurisy and pneumonia so I wouldn't go without the flu jab. I've been retired a few years now and last year was the first time I've not been ill over winter I also take a Wellwoman vitamin capsule every day for last two years so hopefully it helps. K

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My GP's is like that - when they have an open flu clinic on a Saturday the queue is huge - you can wait there for 2 hours waiting to be seen. Easier to go to Boots - less stress and gets done when I want.
Never had it done at Boots do you just book an appointment? K

barb1

I have one every year too. I have got a stinking cold and I am meant to be having mine tomorrow but not sure if I should cancel it until I better.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
From personal experience, they are next to useless

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have one every year too. I have got a stinking cold and I am meant to be having mine tomorrow but not sure if I should cancel it until I better.
Phone the surgery and ask better than trailing there and you can't have it,specially has your not well.
Hope your soon on the mend. K

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Never had it done at Boots do you just book an appointment? K
Yes - I did mine online - really easy - you just have to register your details online. Lets you choose when you want to have it done at a time and date and branch of Boots convenient to you. Much less stressful than the doctors!

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Wait until you are feeling better to get it done - just rearrange with the surgery.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes - I did mine online - really easy - you just have to register your details online. Lets you choose when you want to have it done at a time and date and branch of Boots convenient to you. Much less stressful than the doctors!
Thanks for info Nicksu will give it a try for next year. K

B

badcat

I havnt had one for years, havnt had flu either. Most of my working life was in the NHS and we were encouraged to have them to protect against catching flu from patients or passing it on to other patients. Most of the doctors in the team never got the flu vaccine

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I had mine last Friday - I've had it every year for about 10 years after having a problem with my lungs. I've only once ever had a reaction and that was just a hot, swollen, tender arm for a couple of days.

I had all singing all/dancing flu when I was 16 and was incredibly ill (actually ended up in hospital) with it so I would much prefer to risk some minor discomfort with the jab rather than go through flu again.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi badcat I too worked for NHS we had it at work I know lots didn't have it but I've never had a bad reaction from having it and my doctor said without it I could have ended up in hospital Has I regularly had chest infections leading to pneumonia one year. They then gave me Pneumonia vaccine,and 2 weeks ago I had the shingles vaccine has 2 in our family has recently had shingles, and due to reduced immunity through type2 diabetes and my age I would be very ill if I caught shingles. Each to their own but I'd rather have the vaccines than not. K

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some on this thread seem to be very blasé about catching the flu. There are many strains of course but it can be very serious particularly to the most vulnerable. The flu pandemic in 1918 is estimated to have killed between 20 and 50 million people worldwide. To say "I am never ill" is like saying "I am never run over by a bus" it just means you have been lucky so far. Those with diabetes are more prone to serious complications which is why the vaccination is free to diabetics on the NHS.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had mine done today when I picked up my prescriptions, the chemist did it on the stop with no need to book etc.