Flu Shot

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Has anybody been for their flu shot yet? I must make the appointment and get mine done. I have been having flu shots every year now for 12 years all but one year out of that 12 and boy did I regret it. I did catch the flu and felt very ill. I also got bronchitis with it as well. All of you being diabetic do you all get the flu shot? Do any of you suffer feeling under the weather after your flu shot? I only get the odd muscle aches and feel a little bit off colour but nothing much to speak of.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
I've been having the flu shot for years (I have an autoimmune disease anyway). I'm booked in to get mine next week at Boots (my GP doesn't start doing them until October and it takes the immune system about 6 weeks to manufacture the antibodies). Its a pity that I didn't get immunised against swine flu when it first came out - I ended up catching the thing - not fun! Better to be safe than sorry.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having mine on Saturday at the gp's. Never had one before. Didn't realise that it takes 6 weeks for the body to manufacture the antibodies. Nothing like dogs then. They only take a week.

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Had one on the 7th. I have them every year, this time my arm was a little tender but nothing more.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have one every year. I also had the pneumonia one, which lasts 10 years I think. I have never missed a jab since they became available to me, and in fact before they became available I paid for one at a pharmacy. I get a tender arm occasionally, but nothing more. Mine is due 5th October. I have never had flu in my whole life. I don't want to start now!

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I've never had one and never will. I've seen so many people who have them are so ill after.

Reactions: Ponchu

kentish maid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who tell me I don't need to test my blood
having mine on Saturday surgery opens just for that I have one every year so far no side affects.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Missed last years, but going to try and organise this year.....

getting time to go for it can be a pain....

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Having mine on Saturday at the gp's. Never had one before. Didn't realise that it takes 6 weeks for the body to manufacture the antibodies. Nothing like dogs then. They only take a week.
By which time you could have already caught the flu! Why the GP's get started so late with organising them, I don't know when Boots start doing them from the beginning of September. (probably a question of money!)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been having the flu shot for years (I have an autoimmune disease anyway). I'm booked in to get mine next week at Boots (my GP doesn't start doing them until October and it takes the immune system about 6 weeks to manufacture the antibodies). Its a pity that I didn't get immunised against swine flu when it first came out - I ended up catching the thing - not fun! Better to be safe than sorry.
According to multiple sources on the internet it takes 2 weeks to be effective.

Reactions: TIANDB

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
By which time you could have already caught the flu! Why the GP's get started so late with organising them, I don't know when Boots start doing them from the beginning of September. (probably a question of money!)

Most surgeries do start early September when the vaccine arrives but they have a lot of patients to jab, so you have to stand in line. Our invitations came at the end of August. We left it till we arrived back from holiday and by then there were no convenient times left in September. Our faults we had to wait till 5th October. The flu clinics are every day and are like conveyor belts, one out, one in every couple of minutes. The poor nurses must be fed up to the back teeth.

Colinl999

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Has anybody been for their flu shot yet? I must make the appointment and get mine done. I have been having flu shots every year now for 12 years all but one year out of that 12 and boy did I regret it. I did catch the flu and felt very ill. I also got bronchitis with it as well. All of you being diabetic do you all get the flu shot? Do any of you suffer feeling under the weather after your flu shot? I only get the odd muscle aches and feel a little bit off colour but nothing much to speak of.
Been having the flu shot for a good few years now and it works perfectly for me. No reaction whatsoever. I had mine this year, earlier than normal, Saturday 16 September. No problems. All the very best. Colin

Gannet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Showbiz
Been having the flu shot for a good few years now and it works perfectly for me. No reaction whatsoever. I had mine this year, earlier than normal, Saturday 16 September. No problems. All the very best. Colin

Had mine at the surgery last Saturday, felt fine - not even a sore arm. Then when I called in the local pharmacy today they asked me if I wanted one there and then.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Most surgeries do start early September when the vaccine arrives but they have a lot of patients to jab, so you have to stand in line. Our invitations came at the end of August. We left it till we arrived back from holiday and by then there were no convenient times left in September. Our faults we had to wait till 5th October. The flu clinics are every day and are like conveyor belts, one out, one in every couple of minutes. The poor nurses must be fed up to the back teeth.
My GP's is like that - when they have an open flu clinic on a Saturday the queue is huge - you can wait there for 2 hours waiting to be seen. Easier to go to Boots - less stress and gets done when I want.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP's is like that - when they have an open flu clinic on a Saturday the queue is huge - you can wait there for 2 hours waiting to be seen. Easier to go to Boots - less stress and gets done when I want.

No waiting. Everyone has an appointment time. In and out in a few minutes normally. Its the appointments you have to wait for.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I have my flu jab booked for the 30th September
This will be my 4th one.
I only had flu once in my life and hope never again

lindisfel

Expert
Had mine Monday when I went in to have my bloods done. So mine was early this year usual my wife and I are near the end of the line. No problems, not even arm ache! D.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I don't take the flu jab. I know before 2002 I hardly ever got colds and never flu. I did get colds and the flu sometime after 2002 (this was when I stopped martial arts and dancing, and went on to get diabetes). Since my diagnosis of Type 2 and starting my fight back I have not had the flu or a cold for over 2.5 years, I put this down to diet and exercise.

Reactions: Ponchu and KathyCP