Flu vaccination

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cant have the flu jab, so i am grateful for all those who do - the true meaning of herd immunity, where the majority protect the minority who cant be vaccinated. I plan to continue to stay in until the end of the decade : )

Last edited:

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had mine courtesy of my workplace yesterday along with what seemed like most of my colleagues! They normally limit the offer to those who don't get one via GPs and ask those of us who are entitled to a flu jab not to have one at work. This year, it was open to everyone. I was hauled in for a pneumonia jab by the GPs surgery at the start of lockdown.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My wife is getting her flu jab at work she works in a hospital and the flu vaccine they are using is egg free.

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Had mine outside in the surgery car park this morning. Well organised and no queuing or waiting.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Been type 1 for 40 years never had one intentionally and not going to , good diet and eating a bit of dirt now and again seems to have worked so far so I’ll decline again.

stay safe

“ there is one thing we say to death...Not Today”

Reactions: mojo37

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I read there is a risk that you can get COVID and the flu at the same time. I’m healthier than I have been in years but I’m prepared to take the tiny risk of a flu jab to protect myself and those I care about

everyone has to make their own decision but in all the years I’ve had it, I’ve never been ill from it or caught the flu

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read there is a risk that you can get COVID and the flu at the same time. I’m healthier than I have been in years but I’m prepared to take the tiny risk of a flu jab to protect myself and those I care about

everyone has to make their own decision but in all the years I’ve had it, I’ve never been ill from it or caught the flu
Of course you can. You can get any combination of illnesses at once. The germs don't queue up.

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had my first ever flu jab last week. Thankfully no side effects or pain. Also given a one off Pneumonia jab in other arm. Again no problems since. Been offered it before for BMI reasons but never until T2 diagnosis this April have i felt the need for it.The wife also had hers as in same household as an at risk person

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Had my first ever flu jab last week. Thankfully no side effects or pain. Also given a one off Pneumonia jab in other arm. Again no problems since. Been offered it before for BMI reasons but never until T2 diagnosis this April have i felt the need for it.The wife also had hers as in same household as an at risk person

For diabetics it is now recommended that the Pneumonia jab is repeated every five years or so

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For diabetics it is now recommended that the Pneumonia jab is repeated every five years or so

Ah. The Nurse never knew that as she said only one needed. In the 6 months I've been diagnosed Diabetic its surprising how Nurses even in the same practice give advice etc often contradictory to each other?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"People aged 65 and over only need a single pneumococcal vaccination. This vaccine is not given annually like the flu jab.
People with a long-term health condition may need just a single one-off pneumococcal vaccination or vaccination every 5 years, depending on their underlying health problem."

From your link'
"
You're considered to be at a higher risk of a pneumococcal infection if you have:
had your spleen removed, your spleen does not work properly, or you're at risk of your spleen not working properly in future (for example, if you have coeliac disease)
a long-term respiratory disease, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
heart disease, such as congenital heart disease
chronic kidney disease
chronic liver disease, such as liver cirrhosis
diabetes
a suppressed immune system caused by a health condition, such as HIV
a suppressed immune system caused by medicines, such as chemotherapy or steroid tablets
a cochlear implant (a hearing device) – Action on Hearing Loss has more information about cochlear implants
had a leak of cerebrospinal fluid (the clear fluid that surrounds the brain and spine) – this could be the result of an accident or surgery
Adults and children who are severely immunocompromised (including anyone with leukaemia, multiple myeloma, genetic disorders affecting the immune system, or after a bone marrow transplant) usually have a single dose of PCV followed by PPV.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/pneumococcal-vaccination/

From the above link.
"
People aged 65 and over only need a single pneumococcal vaccination. This vaccine is not given annually like the flu jab.
People with a long-term health condition may need just a single one-off pneumococcal vaccination or vaccination every 5 years, depending on their underlying health problem."

When discussing this with my pharmacist the other day when he gave me the flue jab he told me that diabetes was one of the long term conditions that may require a 5 yearly boost.

However it depends on many factors and of course though I have come across it in several articles It could be and it is entirely possible that I got the wrong end of the stick.

As NICE only proposes it for unspecified conditions and as a definite need in those with problems with the spleen or those with chronic kidney disease now I come to look at the guide lines.

Though it does say that diabetics are at particular risk from pneumonia.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
"People aged 65 and over only need a single pneumococcal vaccination. This vaccine is not given annually like the flu jab.

From your link'
"
You're considered to be at a higher risk of a pneumococcal infection if you have:
had your spleen removed, your spleen does not work properly, or you're at risk of your spleen not working properly in future (for example, if you have coeliac disease)
a long-term respiratory disease, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
heart disease, such as congenital heart disease
chronic kidney disease
chronic liver disease, such as liver cirrhosis
diabetes
a suppressed immune system caused by a health condition, such as HIV
a suppressed immune system caused by medicines, such as chemotherapy or steroid tablets
a cochlear implant (a hearing device) – Action on Hearing Loss has more information about cochlear implants
had a leak of cerebrospinal fluid (the clear fluid that surrounds the brain and spine) – this could be the result of an accident or surgery
Adults and children who are severely immunocompromised (including anyone with leukaemia, multiple myeloma, genetic disorders affecting the immune system, or after a bone marrow transplant) usually have a single dose of PCV followed by PPV.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/pneumococcal-vaccination/

From the above link.
"
People aged 65 and over only need a single pneumococcal vaccination. This vaccine is not given annually like the flu jab.

When discussing this with my pharmacist the other day when he gave me the flue jab he told me that diabetes was one of the long term conditions that may require a 5 yearly boost.

However it depends on many factors and of course though I have come across it in several articles It could be and it is entirely possible that I got the wrong end of the stick.

As NICE only proposes it for unspecified conditions and as a definite need in those with problems with the spleen or those with chronic kidney disease now I come to look at the guide lines.

Though it does say that diabetics are at particular risk from pneumonia.
From link I posted:

“But if your spleen does not work properly or you have a chronic kidney condition, you may need booster doses of PPV every 5 years.”

That’s what I was confused by but I will certainly ask the pharmacist

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I find it interesting that in the Netherlands a pneumonia jab doesn't seem to be a thing at all for diabetics (don't know about other conditions).

edit: I'm not a 100% sure on this, only going by it never having been mentioned by my HCP's, and neither have i seen any questions on it on Dutch Fb groups on diabetes, although the flu jab is much discussed.