Food in General

Barrowbakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is simple - or is it! My HBA1C was 5.7 then 5.8.

My waking level is normally just below 6 and even 2 hours after a meal it’s normally only a fraction over 6.

Bedtime between 4.6 and 5.9 depending on any alcohol intake.

In two years never had a reading over 7.5.

My simple question is I really fancy a Balti with naan etc.

Is one in a while going to de me much harm? I am one of the lucky ones who can still eat breakfast cereal - the healthy sorts and some bread - granary of course without any market affect.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
This is simple - or is it! My HBA1C was 5.7 then 5.8.

My waking level is normally just below 6 and even 2 hours after a meal it’s normally only a fraction over 6.

Bedtime between 4.6 and 5.9 depending on any alcohol intake.

In two years never had a reading over 7.5.

My simple question is I really fancy a Balti with naan etc.

Is one in a while going to de me much harm? I am one of the lucky ones who can still eat breakfast cereal - the healthy sorts and some bread - granary of course without any market affect.
The only way to find out is to test, 1 hour, 2 hour, 3 hour and perhaps one more to catch a slow spike and also your fasting level. If all is good there then it should be fine as an occasional!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As the others have said the only way to know is to test! As your HbA1c has gone up, albeit by a tiny amount, watch out for complacency and carb creep, I’d hate for you to regret experimenting too much with carbs.

M

Member496333

Eat and test, but do not discount the cumulative and sometimes incrementally immeasurable effect of putting glucose into your body. Any way you cut it, you’ll be contributing to reduced insulin sensitivity, but only time will tell if you can maintain homeostasis without issue.

My only piece of advice would be to never, ever, lose sight of the fact that you have a tendency to be diabetic. Complacency is your absolute the worst enemy in this business. Keep your eye on the ball, and good luck.

Reactions: Shas3
D

Deleted Account

A couple of points to add to the great comments above
- Hb1AC is not very precise. An increase of 1 could actually be no increment. But that is not a reason to become complacent.
- I find the fats in curry cause a long drag on BG rise. If I don't dose my insulin correctly (I have type 1 so different but I think my experience is relevant), I could see a BG rise about 5 hours after eating a curry. So, if you give your balti a go one night, be prepared to see a rise the next morning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barrowbakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for all the replies. I think I shall pass on the Balti !

Complacency is an easy trap to fall into.

So it’s steak I think! Much safer!

Redshank

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The balti will probably be OK, but you will not know without testing
The Nan will probably cause your blood sugars to spike, but you will not know without testing.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Steak? You can't go far wrong with steak. Mushrooms are good too - a green sweet pepper - tomatoes would be good, courgettes fry up nicely, smidge of onion in the pan with the meat - sorry - did you ask a question?

Reactions: Barrowbakers

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the replies. I think I shall pass on the Balti !

Complacency is an easy trap to fall into.

So it’s steak I think! Much safer!
You can make naan of your own with eggs and coconut flour. Or you can discard eggs and make with psyllium husk. I am addicted to roti, I have had it daily twice a day as staple food. This substitute work for me. Infact I never feel like doing low carb only because of that.

TrevorJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have found that eating carbs with protein helps keep the spike lower. I would drop the cereal for breakfast because its not that nutritious anyway. Then enjoy the Balti with naan, I definitely wouldn't do both in a day. Ultimately its what makes you happy balanced with what makes you healthy. I'll never drink another sugary beverage again and that is fine with me, but I will enjoy a piece of cake on my birthday!!

Reactions: Barrowbakers