1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Food in General

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Barrowbakers, May 20, 2019.

1. Barrowbakers

Barrowbakers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This is simple - or is it! My HBA1C was 5.7 then 5.8.

My waking level is normally just below 6 and even 2 hours after a meal it’s normally only a fraction over 6.

Bedtime between 4.6 and 5.9 depending on any alcohol intake.

In two years never had a reading over 7.5.

My simple question is I really fancy a Balti with naan etc.

Is one in a while going to de me much harm? I am one of the lucky ones who can still eat breakfast cereal - the healthy sorts and some bread - granary of course without any market affect.

2. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Taste and test. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Caeseji

Caeseji Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The only way to find out is to test, 1 hour, 2 hour, 3 hour and perhaps one more to catch a slow spike and also your fasting level. If all is good there then it should be fine as an occasional!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

As the others have said the only way to know is to test! As your HbA1c has gone up, albeit by a tiny amount, watch out for complacency and carb creep, I’d hate for you to regret experimenting too much with carbs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Eat and test, but do not discount the cumulative and sometimes incrementally immeasurable effect of putting glucose into your body. Any way you cut it, you’ll be contributing to reduced insulin sensitivity, but only time will tell if you can maintain homeostasis without issue.

My only piece of advice would be to never, ever, lose sight of the fact that you have a tendency to be diabetic. Complacency is your absolute the worst enemy in this business. Keep your eye on the ball, and good luck.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Kim Possible

Kim Possible Type 1 · Expert

A couple of points to add to the great comments above
    - Hb1AC is not very precise. An increase of 1 could actually be no increment. But that is not a reason to become complacent.
    - I find the fats in curry cause a long drag on BG rise. If I don't dose my insulin correctly (I have type 1 so different but I think my experience is relevant), I could see a BG rise about 5 hours after eating a curry. So, if you give your balti a go one night, be prepared to see a rise the next morning.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #6 Kim Possible, May 20, 2019 at 11:52 AM
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
  7. Barrowbakers

Barrowbakers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies. I think I shall pass on the Balti !

Complacency is an easy trap to fall into.

So it’s steak I think! Much safer!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. Redshank

Redshank Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

The balti will probably be OK, but you will not know without testing
    The Nan will probably cause your blood sugars to spike, but you will not know without testing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Steak? You can't go far wrong with steak. Mushrooms are good too - a green sweet pepper - tomatoes would be good, courgettes fry up nicely, smidge of onion in the pan with the meat - sorry - did you ask a question?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Veryanxious

Veryanxious Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

You can make naan of your own with eggs and coconut flour. Or you can discard eggs and make with psyllium husk. I am addicted to roti, I have had it daily twice a day as staple food. This substitute work for me. Infact I never feel like doing low carb only because of that.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. TrevorJ

TrevorJ Type 2 · Member

I have found that eating carbs with protein helps keep the spike lower. I would drop the cereal for breakfast because its not that nutritious anyway. Then enjoy the Balti with naan, I definitely wouldn't do both in a day. Ultimately its what makes you happy balanced with what makes you healthy. I'll never drink another sugary beverage again and that is fine with me, but I will enjoy a piece of cake on my birthday!!

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook